Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SAVE your shedding!

Length
    22"/30"/Term
    Type
    2b/M/C/iii

Default SAVE your shedding!

I don't know about anyone else, but I have always been very curious as to how much hair I lose per day (I've always been a big shedder my entire life). So I decided to start saving the shed in my brush, and even the fallout in the hair catcher in the shower (if you're long haired and don't have one of these things yet, GO GET IT they're $3.00 at walmart and they'll save your drainpipes from being clogged!) and put it in a bag. After one day, I sorted all the strands (QUITE a tedious process, but worth it!) and it was interesting to see a whole lock of hair made out of the fallen hairs. Then, I saved the hair for a week and made another lock. Now I'm going for a month of fallout... Have any of you tried this before? What were your results? Here are my results (and a reminder about that hair catcher for your drain ;-) )

(And yes, I have too much free time, lol)

Length
    SL/APL/Waist
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/i

Default Re: SAVE your shedding!

I'd be quite tempted to do this but I'm a bit scared about what the result might be!

It's a good idea though!

Shoulder Length > APL > BSL > APL > Between Chin + Shoulder > APL > BSL > Mid Back Length > Waist
    50 book challenge 2014 ^^

Type
    2a/C/iii

I have one of those in my shower. After having to dig around in the plug hole and pulling out a huge slimy clump of smelly hair, I thought it might be a good idea.

I love that you're saving it. You could make an album lol. Have you counted them?

Length
    16.75/19"/30"+?
    Type
    1b/M/ii

I love the idea of collecting a 'ponytail' of shed hair. I do collect up my shed hairs in the shower just to keep a rough count of them but then throw them away....I think SO might think I had finally lost the plot if I made a ponytail with them
    1b/ii/m ...SHOULDER+...APL...MBL...WAIST...HIP...TBL...
    April 2014 - Roughly 10" chopped off & Dye free apart from 1" in canopy layers

Length
    34/Long/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I saved sheds from my brush for about 6 months and tried straightening them and taping them to post-it notes. I have fine hair so even though I collected a lot, it didn't add up to a sizable lock very quickly. About a weeks worth of mine looked like your one day collection. After a month I had about what you show for one week.

I probably only managed to straighten out and keep about half the strands, but still, seeing it add up over time made me wonder why I am not bald. it seems strange that my head keeps up with the amount of hair that comes out.

It got difficult to keep the collection because it needed to hang vertically out of any air current to stay unsnarled, and a collection of shed hair is a strange thing to have hanging around. I made a braid of what I could salvage, and have it sitting on a shelf.
    Last edited by jasper; August 18th, 2012 at 06:45 AM.

Length
    22"/30"/Term
    Type
    2b/M/C/iii

@ Jorja: Yes when I had waist length hair back when I was 17, my parents got REALLY tired of unclogging the drain... One time they made me do it just to see what I pain it was and I almost ralphed up my dinner, lol. Thank goodness I found this thing!

I tried to count the days worth of shedding but I kinda kept losing track and it was straining my eyes so I gave up. I think it's somewhere around 70. Making an album out of them is a great idea!

@ hellucy: yeah when my husband saw me taking a big wad of hair out of my brush and stuffing it into a ziplock bag, he had kind of an "I'm scared of this woman" look on his face. But after I explained it he pretended to think it was interesting LOL

@ jasper: yeah it's crazy to see how much hair we lose every day. Our bodies are such unique and interesting things. And yes, a collection of shed hair is a very strange collector's item LOL I hope no voodoo practicioners find this, I'll be in a world of hurt! lol

Length
    BSL/BSL/CL
    Type
    1b/F/M/iii

D: Thinking about that many hairs leaving my head a day would make my skin crawl. This hobby isn't for me..

Length
    18?/24/27
    Type
    1a/M/ii

This would be very depressing to me :'(
    Taking an LHC break.

Length
    BSL/Waist/BSL
    Type
    1b/M/ii

I've failed at that. My mother cannot stand shed hairs, therefore they end up in the waste can.
    I'm picky about the particular length of the sheds. They have to be even.

Length
    APL/APL+/WL
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

Well, I already am combing my hair over a black desk and counting them, it wouldn't be hard to put them in a ziplock bag instead of the garbage...
    5 inches to hip!