Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My hair has stopped growing!

Length
    18"/24"/40"
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/ii/iii

Exclamation My hair has stopped growing!

Alright, so I'm getting really bummed about this. Can hair stop growing?

Right now, my hair comes a little over my boobs. It's almost waist length. But it hasn't grown at all (MAYBE an inch or two) in the past 3 years! Not even kidding!

The thing is, though, if I were to get it cut off, it grows super fast. (Well, not fast, but normal.) But as soon as it gets to the length it is now, it stops! It's so frusterating. My hair is relitively healthy, my hairdresser told me so, so I don't think damage is the problem.

Is this the longest my hair can ever be? What can I do to make it KEEP GROWING? Thank you!!!

Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Default Re: My hair has stopped growing!

Hi, maybe if you posted a picture of your hair from the back-including the ends, it would be easier to assess?

Length
    27 in/33 in/Hip
    Type
    1a/M/i/ii

I tried Original Mane & Tail horse shampoo. In 2010 my hair grew from just past midback to waist. At age 54. It had not grown since high school. I heard about it & tried it. I still use it.
    I added two capfuls of olive oil to the shampoo. I read it helps growth, but I'm not sure. But your hair will be softer. I wear it up most of the time. It's grown to hip. And still growing. You can buy it at wall mart, or certain grocery stores, or beauty supply, or order it on line. I hope this helps. I hope you get a little miracle like I did. I hope it helps. And welcome to TLHC!

Length
    17/24/32
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Maybe you need to shake things up. Throw in some multivitamins, eat more protein and do some scalp massages?
    Also, do you blow dry or straighten?

Length
    APL/MBL/hip
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii/iii

I'd get some blood work done before any change to your routine - if you start on multis etc and get growth started again, you'll never know why. Thyroid and vit d are two levels to partic request but just general bloods, full range too.
    After that, yes maybe try more protein perhaps in the form of whey protein, a prenatal or specific hair, skin and nail vit formula.
    One other thing, are you sure you aren't just losing damaged ends? They could keep snapping off giving the illusion your hair isn't getting any longer? Or do you have no regrowth at the roots?
    after a year with bright red hair, I'm back to henna and indigo, mainly henna applications but some indigo to take the orange down a bit! Now to get back to growing again, beyond bra strap how but aiming for hip.

Length
    20"/46"/?
    Type
    2b/F/ii

Do you usually wear your hair up to keep it out of the way?

Length
    18?/24/27
    Type
    1a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by catamonica View Post
    I tried Original Mane & Tail horse shampoo. In 2010 my hair grew from just past midback to waist. At age 54. It had not grown since high school. I heard about it & tried it. I still use it.
    I added two capfuls of olive oil to the shampoo. I read it helps growth, but I'm not sure. But your hair will be softer. I wear it up most of the time. It's grown to hip. And still growing. You can buy it at wall mart, or certain grocery stores, or beauty supply, or order it on line. I hope this helps. I hope you get a little miracle like I did. I hope it helps. And welcome to TLHC!
    That is such a bummer D: Did you ever find out why it didn't grow at all? I always get afraid that my hair will just stop growing. It is hardly below APL by a few inches.
    Taking an LHC break.

Length
    18"/24"/40"
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/ii/iii

I rarely straighten or blowdry, maybe once a week? Also, I almost always wear my hair down.

Everything is chemicals! Bagginslover's Avatar
    Length
    26.5/35.5/50
    Type
    1b/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by adrowningfish View Post
    I rarely straighten or blowdry, maybe once a week? Also, I almost always wear my hair down.
    Those are quite likely to be your problems, right there. Once a week is pretty regular, and very damaging when using heat tools. I'm not going to tell you have to stop straightening your hair, but it will be causing damage, and so you will be losing ends. Blow drying is the same, though to a lesser degree, also if you brush and pull while drying, this will cause even more damage. Add to that the wear and tear your hair gets by being worn down all the time, and you won't see and increase in length. The fact you aren't seeing any reduction though, is a good sign-your hair IS growing

So, what is your hair like without straightening? Could you cut back on using the irons? Could you stand to let your hair air dry? Or blow dry on cool? wearing your hair up, at least some of the time will also help immensely. There are lots of pretty styles you can try, some complicated, others very simple. These are all things you can do, that will cost nothing, and I'd be willing to bet that if you did, you'd see increased length very quickly

BSL-Waist-Hip-BCL-TBL-Classic
    Layers cut back in, oops!!!!

Length
    APL/WL/TBL
    Type
    3b/F/M/iii

I wouldn't say once a week is rarely To me rarely is once a year ^_^

Well, here are two things that might stop your hair from getting longer. Heat damage and mechanical damage. Try to stop using heat and put your hair up more often to protect your ends.

Jan 22 2014. Can't wait till waist curly!