Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hi, and a fructis warning

Default Hi, and a fructis warning

Hello. I color treat my hair and am have been growing it for about two years, after a terrible accident where I tried to dye it darker and it all fell out instead.

Despite bleaching it once a month (as long as I can stand to let my dark roots grow out) I had got it up to a pretty good thickness and length. (Past the bra strap, currently.)

I did this by going off shampoo and conditioner-washing. Also putting a little olive oil on the ends.

This is where the product warning comes in. A few days ago I had a look at this "length and strength by garnier fructis. This product does the exact opposite of what it claims. Instead of lengthening and strengthening my hair, huge clumps came out in the shower. Also my scalp felt burned. Then even more fell out in the brush. Wanted to cry. Lost a LOT of thickness that took years to grow!

Google searched "does garnier fructis make your hair fall out" and a ton of hits came up. Check out one called WARNING! :::Garnier Fructis Blow Dry Perfector Review::: that has photos. Or google "Garnier fructis hair is falling out bad!?" from one poor girl who nearly went bald. I don't know what garnier puts in their products but it needs to be pulled from the shelves.

Do not use it, ever, especially not on color treated or highlighted hair. Not so say that some people with all natural hair might not use it and love it. But on color treated or highlighted hair - no.

Switched back to my old, cheap conditioner, and ta-da. No more hair falling out in clumps.

Has anyone here had a similar experience, with any product, and how long did it take for you to regain your thickness?

Default Re: Hi, and a fructis warning

Also I finally broke down and got the ends trimmed. About an inch. Hated to do it but I admit it looks better.

Length
    14"/24"/36"

Quote Originally Posted by Januari View Post

Has anyone here had a similar experience, with any product, and how long did it take for you to regain your thickness?
    I used to have virgin, waist-long, curly hair and I destroyed it by straightening it all with a chemical relaxer. I had tons of damage, hair was breaking everywhere and falling out. I decided then that I needed to just accept what nature gave me and quit fighting with it. (I am not saying it is wrong to alter the color/texture of hair if that's what one chooses to do, but it didn't work for me.)

So, I later decided to cut it all off, very short, around my neck. That was in March 2011. Since then, the best medicine was to leave my hair alone. I stopped brushing it. Stopped using styling tools on it. I cut washes back to once a week. I didn't even use combs, I finger combed it that entire summer. Once it was long enough, I started keeping it in a bun every single day, with small amounts of grapeseed or almond oil to help protect it.

I trimmed 1" off every few months to slowly get rid of the extra damage and maintain its length, and my last trim was on Dec 2011. It is now back to its original thickness and is now about APL.

Length
    17"/32"/42"
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Hmm... back in the day when my hair was dyed, I used Garnier Fructis, and I never had that problem. I used the shampoo and conditioner, and was in a household where you HAD to S&C every day, lest be considered "dirty." lol

Maybe... it was an allergic reaction? The only reason I say that is because of scalp burning. Sometimes that happens when people are allergic to certain hair product ingredients.

Also, I've used a conditioner from Garnier last year, and I still didn't have a problem (other than it leaving disgusting residue—blugh).

Just putting in my two cents... and I'm SO sorry that happened. *hugz*
    { Conditioner Only }
    Suave Professionals Rosemary & Mint—Mineral Oil & Olive Oil—BBB—Hair Sense five-tooth comb & BBB

Length
    17"/32"/42"
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Yeah... I just read some reviews about this shampoo, and it seems a lot of people like it. *shrugs* Don't have any problems. So I wonder if the people who DID have this severe of a problem with the shampoo are having some kind of allergic reaction or something.

As far as the ingredients... I honestly didn't see anything very sketchy (not saying I'm an expert, but I tried to do some reading on the ingredients, and didn't see anything sketchy lol). I've seen worse in less expensive products, and more expensive ones. I could've very well had missed something on basis of information about the ingredients, though.

Here's the list of ingredients for Gariner Fructis Length and Strength shampoo:

Aqua/Water/Eau (Water), Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Coco Betaine, Glycol Distearate, Sodium Chloride, Dimethicone, Propylene Glycol, Cocamide MIPA, Pyrus Malus (Apple) Fruit Extract, Fragrance, Sodium Benzoate, Hexylene Glycol, Salicylic Acid, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Carbomer, Niacinamide, Pyridoxine HCl, Citric Acid, Saccharum Officinarum (Sugar Cane) Extract, Benzyl Alcohol, Linalool, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Methyl Cocoate, Sodium Cocoate, Sodium Hydroxide, Citrus Medica Limonum (Lemon) Peel Extract, Camellia Sinensis Extract, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract

And here's the list for the conditioner:

Aqua/Water/Eau (Water), Cetearyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Chloride, Glycerin, Cetyl Esters, Isopropyl Myristate, Pyrus Malus (Apple Fruit Extract), Perfume (Fragrance), Methylparaben, Lauryl PEG/PPG 18/18 Methicone, Niacinamide, Pyridoxine HCl, Citric Acid, Chlorhexidine Dihydrochloride, Saccharum Officinarum (Sugar Cane) Extract (Sugar Cane Extract), Benzyl Alcohol, Dodecene, Poloxamer 407, Linalool, Citrus Medica Limonum (Lemon) Peel Extract, Camellia Sinensis Extract, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract

I haven't checked out the conditioner yet, but maybe someone else will take a look and give you their thoughts on it.
    { Conditioner Only }
    Suave Professionals Rosemary & Mint—Mineral Oil & Olive Oil—BBB—Hair Sense five-tooth comb & BBB

Length
    18?/24/27
    Type
    1a/M/ii

Nothing to offer other than: That is horrible! Is there anyone who has access to your conditioner that has it in for ya and put something in it? Sounds stupid but I have never had this issue and I used to use that stuff a LOT from age 14-17.
    Taking an LHC break.

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    18/20/WL
    Type
    1c/F/ii

I think maybe you had a reaction to something in the formula. I'm sorry.

I use Fructis, including Long & Strong, all the time and have never suffered this effect. Just putting in my own experience.

Length
    10?/19/35?
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Januari View Post
    Hello. I color treat my hair and am have been growing it for about two years, after a terrible accident where I tried to dye it darker and it all fell out instead.

Despite bleaching it once a month (as long as I can stand to let my dark roots grow out) I had got it up to a pretty good thickness and length. (Past the bra strap, currently.)

I did this by going off shampoo and conditioner-washing. Also putting a little olive oil on the ends.

This is where the product warning comes in. A few days ago I had a look at this "length and strength by garnier fructis. This product does the exact opposite of what it claims. Instead of lengthening and strengthening my hair, huge clumps came out in the shower. Also my scalp felt burned. Then even more fell out in the brush. Wanted to cry. Lost a LOT of thickness that took years to grow!

Google searched "does garnier fructis make your hair fall out" and a ton of hits came up. Check out one called WARNING! :::Garnier Fructis Blow Dry Perfector Review::: that has photos. Or google "Garnier fructis hair is falling out bad!?" from one poor girl who nearly went bald. I don't know what garnier puts in their products but it needs to be pulled from the shelves.

Do not use it, ever, especially not on color treated or highlighted hair. Not so say that some people with all natural hair might not use it and love it. But on color treated or highlighted hair - no.

Switched back to my old, cheap conditioner, and ta-da. No more hair falling out in clumps.

Wow. I am currently experiencing a scary shed...I even saw my dr and have to get blood drawn for various tests....I started using this stuff a couple months ago...and have had crazy shedding for most of that time. I am going to by new stuff on payday and see if it makes a difference! Oh, I don't use the "Blow-dry Perfector", just the shampoo and conditioner.
    We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion. ~TOOL

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    16.5/30/36
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

That's horrible what happened to you but maybe you had an allergic reaction? Or where did you get your shampoo/conditioner from, maybe it was a forgery and not a real Garnier Fructis?

I've been using Garnier, including Fructis Long & Strong, for years and still am(Garnier Ultra Dolce Chamomile and Honey) and never had this problem, and I dye my hair blonde. And most people I know are also using Garnier shampoos and conditioners, because they're rather popular and not expensive where I live.

Length
    NL/UBL/WAIST

Actually, my sister had this problem with Fructis as well. She told me years ago not to use it because it made the hair fall out. Im sorry it happened to you.
    Grew out bleach and damage and letting my hair grow. SL - UBL - APL - BSL - Midback - Waist