Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just a heads up to anyone shipping internationally from the US

Type
    3a/3b/F/iii

Default Just a heads up to anyone shipping internationally from the US

The USPS is now requiring us to fill out customs forms online. Currently they will do the forms in the post office if necessary, but it does take extra time and I imagine they won't allow this forever (and maybe not at all if you have multiple overseas packages).

Here's the link to the online form (it's 2976): http://webapps.usps.com/customsforms/#

Happy shipping!

Length
    30ish/47"/70+"
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

Default Re: Just a heads up to anyone shipping internationally from the US

????

I fill mine out manually at home before I go to the post office. I hope that will still be allowed?
    Lady Saphira of the Crystal Wings in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Type
    3a/3b/F/iii

Nope--or at least, they'll let you do that currently, but all the information will have to be entered into their computer at the window, and it takes several minutes. What they prefer you to do is input it all online at home, print out the form, and bring it in with you. So it's not "required" per se, but encouraged, and it sounded like eventually it will be required. And as I said, if you're shipping multiple packages you could be standing at the window for quite some time. I'd guess it takes 3-4 minutes for them to input the information for each package.

Length
    30ish/47"/70+"
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by jeanniet View Post
    Nope--or at least, they'll let you do that currently, but all the information will have to be entered into their computer at the window, and it takes several minutes. What they prefer you to do is input it all online at home, print out the form, and bring it in with you. So it's not "required" per se, but encouraged, and it sounded like eventually it will be required. And as I said, if you're shipping multiple packages you could be standing at the window for quite some time. I'd guess it takes 3-4 minutes for them to input the information for each package.
    hmmm.... I don't think that will apply to me for a while, then. The little post office I go to never has a line of any kind, and I think I'm one of a barely a handful of people who ships stuff across the borders on a regular basis.

Usually she just stamps 'em and hands me back my part. I'm not even sure she has a computer to enter any of it into at all. I suspect that's done somewhere further down the line.

Length
    --/tb/--
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i/ii

This isn't a new thing (the central Pennsylvania PO I use sometimes has had this in place for a couple of years), but it hasn't been implemented evenly at all post offices.

wg
    To contact me, use email. (Only PM if you'd rather not receive a reply in a timely fashion.)

Length
    30ish/47"/70+"
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

Ha! Well, as luck would have it, I have two international packages to go out. And I'm out of the forms I use.

So, I thought....hey, now I can just fill 'em out online. No need to drive to town for a few little pieces of paper!

Then I actually tried to do it.

I can't get past the first page because I do not collect phone numbers from my customers. The USPS really needs to think things through a bit better.

Length
    1.5"/40/41.5
    Type
    1b/F/M/i/ii

What about folks who don't have a computer ? And even many with a computer don't have a printer !
    Maintaining at Classic for awhile.
    Laydye Aurora of the Spynning Fybres in the Order of The Long Haired Knights

Length
    18"/MB/MB
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Well that's odd. What's wrong with leaving the little green and white forms out at the counter/islands for people to fill out before getting in line? Are you saying they are no longer going to issue form 2976? I agree with what somebody else said about those without access to printers & internet. This makes no sense.

I thought if an international package was under 16 oz, you didn't need a customs form for a lot of countries? Hair sticks are pretty light.

Not trying to dispute you, just trying to understand.

ETA: I found this...which says that sub-post offices are the ones who aren't accepting hand-written customs forms any more (that's just nuts!). But the main post offices still are.

Length
    12"/65"/60"
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

I was actually happy when I could fill the form out online, as the online form was easier than the paper one.

I do not put phone numbers on mine; they have always accepted them and shipped them. There is a line for a phone number, but they have never demanded I fill it out. It's probably there in case they need to call the person for some reason. I reckon they can get in touch with them some other way. One thing I do though, is I put in a label, inside the package, with all the info to get in touch with the person: name, address, email if I have it etc, just in case they mess up the package if they open it. I want to make sure the item gets to the rightful owner.

The problem with no computer and no printer is a big one IMO. I realize the PO is trying to cut costs every way they can, but I don't think this is a good move. My opinion is, they need to rescind that law that is forcing them to operate as though they have to pay out all the retirement funds right now, and then they can go back to being run they were 7 or 8 years ago. Then they won't have to try and implement all these insane cost-cutting measures.

Length
    25.5/34/TBL
    Type
    2c/F/i/ii

Can you fill it out online and then have them print it?