Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tips for vegetable dye on unbleached hair?

Length
    3/16/25
    Type
    3a/3b/M/C/ii/iii

Question Tips for vegetable dye on unbleached hair?

Hi folks,

I recently decided to go back to my ever so beloved Punky Color dye on my dark blonde hair, and was wondering if anyone had any great tips to make it last on unbleached hair. I absolutely love the depth I achieve by not bleaching... My natural color is at a level that allows the dye to be just bright enough while maintaining a deep tone by keeping my natural color underneath. I have read that you need to apply it for a few hours and wrap it up. I've got it on right now and I'm hoping it clings to my virgin roots. Anyone else have any tips on getting it to stick to virgin hair?

Length
    Shldr/MBL/Waist
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Tips for vegetable dye on unbleached hair?

Leave it on for at least an hour - overnight is better, actually, and a shower cap is fantastic for applying/trapping your body heat to help it set. When you rinse the dye out use cool water and a white vinegar final rinse (diluted). Wash as little as you can, and always use cool water (hot will make it bleed more), and a very gentle shampoo. Limit oiling as much as you can.

You're still going to have a lot of fade and bleeding - healthy hair tends not to be as porous and punky type dyes are really just stains - but you can get some time out of it if you're careful.
    We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give. --Winston Churchil

Length
    13"/19"/22"

I usually leave it on for a minimum of a few hours, wrapped up in cling film or foil to keep it warm. I also use a hair dryer to apply heat every so often, I've heard this works well for many people, and it does for me! Because you can leave these dyes on for so long I would leave it on as long as possible too, to make sure the hair has really been saturated. Hope that helps a bit!

Length
    3/16/25
    Type
    3a/3b/M/C/ii/iii

Thanks ladies!! Thankfully, I only use shampoo every 2 weeks. I do condition everyday though. Are some conditioners better at retaining color than others? I use Tre Semme Naturals right now.

Also, has anyone ever tried Pravana Vivids with success over unbleached hair? I'm thinking of getting some.

Length
    hip/hip/hurra
    Type
    1a/M/ii

I use deposit dye over unbleached virgin hair too! (^(oo)^)v

After I've applied the dye, I wrap it in plastic and secure a silk sleep cap on top, then leave the colour on overnight. The next morning I rinse with the coldest water I can stand, and follow with a very diluted acidic rinse.

To maintain the colour, I strongly recommend CO-washing, if you don't currently do so. Shampoo seems to cause deposit dyes to fade exponentially faster, IME! Also, if you are willing to use 'cones, aminosilicones have been shown to reduce fading of direct dyes from the hair (http://journal.scconline.org/pdf/cc1...231-p00245.pdf) as well as to enhance the vividness of red-dyed hair in particular (http://journal.scconline.org//pdf/cc...283-p00294.pdf).
    I'm a little piggy! (^(oo)^)v

Length
    hip/hip/hurra
    Type
    1a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by MagicalMystery View Post
    Also, has anyone ever tried Pravana Vivids with success over unbleached hair? I'm thinking of getting some.
    I use Pravana Vivids Blue and it is so much better than the consumer brand deposit dyes. The colour has a lot more depth and it lasts for ages; I actually have to be pretty vigilant about my roots because otherwise I show a demarcation line.

The pic below was taken about a month after dyeing. That strip of brown is my natural colour - I saved a little bundle of undyed sheds before I started. Why? No idea .... for archival purposes, I suppose? (^(oo)^)v

Length
    3/16/25
    Type
    3a/3b/M/C/ii/iii

Wonderful!! I just ordered some Pravana in red and orange. I want a warm scarlet red, so I'll add a drop of orange and see what happens. Gonna wait until the Punky fades, so I'll try it in a few months.

How does Pravana work? Do you apply it straight? How long do you leave it on? I'm assuming you cover your hair too?

Length
    3/16/25
    Type
    3a/3b/M/C/ii/iii

Hmmm... cones eh... I'm not sure whether or not Tre Semme Naturals has cones in it. Anyone know? I enjoyed Herbal Essence Hydralicious in the past, so maybe I'll go back.

Length
    hip/hip/hurra
    Type
    1a/M/ii

Wonderful!! I just ordered some Pravana in red and orange. I want a warm scarlet red, so I'll add a drop of orange and see what happens. Gonna wait until the Punky fades, so I'll try it in a few months.
    Woo, exciting! Do post pics in the Pravana Vivids thread when you're done, please

How does Pravana work? Do you apply it straight? How long do you leave it on? I'm assuming you cover your hair too?
    Just like most other deposit dyes - apply directly from the tube to clean, dry hair, cover, etc. The wrapping/rinsing procedure I described in my first post has been working well for me (^(oo)^)v

Hmmm... cones eh... I'm not sure whether or not Tre Semme Naturals has cones in it. Anyone know? I enjoyed Herbal Essence Hydralicious in the past, so maybe I'll go back.
    It's actually only a specific family of 'cones, the aminosilicones, that offer colour-protection/enhancement. Look for "amodimethicone" in the ingredients list. I'm partial to L'Oréal Nutri Gloss conditioner for Damaged Hair (not the fine-hair version).

Lover of Rainbows & Curls Quixii's Avatar
    Length
    0?/knee+/knee
    Type
    3a/F/M/ii/iii

I don't know if you've seen my latest thread or my signature, but I did that on virgin unbleached hair. I just left it on for like eight hours.
    (I don't use cones either, if that was questioned.)
    Knee+ length! Lady Gelôs, Keeper of the Silken Aulaeum in the Order of the Long Haired Knights <3