Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: French Braid request

Default French Braid request

Hello everybody I joined the forums a while back but have only just become interested in really looking after my hair. At some point I will post up a picture of my hair right now. Its not in a great state. I have layers that are not level, my hair is very dry at the ends but otherwise fairly ok. Its shoulder length I'm not sure if its important but im indian and my hair is black

I want to be able to plait up a nice long french braid much like my username suggests--just like lara croft from the tomb raider games. But i don't know how long it needs to be for this.

I've read from other users that the french braid really eats up alot of length. So please users of the long hair community help me out ^^ how long should i set my final goal. how long will it take and how long should it be.

Also if you yourself have REALLY long hair if you could, please please do a french braid for me and post a pic so I can build up some french braid inspiration too thnx in advance everybody!!

Type
    1b/F/ii

Default Re: French Braid request

A braid on my hair eats up 8 cm So just add about that to the lenght of the braid you want to have and that is your goal. I'm guessing tailbone lenght.

Goal length: Waist
    24' ~ 25' ~ 26' ~ 27' ~ 28' ~ 29'

Length
    sl/waist/~
    Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

I think a lot depends on the thickness of your hair -- the thicker it is, the more braids (and other updos) eat up length.

I have around waist+ hair, and my french braids go to around BSL, for a reference point.

Hope that helps!

Length
    Apl/Bsl+/Waist
    Type
    3b/M/C/ii/iii

You might want to look at this thread for an insane amount of pictures of different braids. Welcome!
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...ad.php?t=45350
    SL-APL-BSL-MBL-WAIST-HIP
    **Almost there!!!**

Length
    <apl/hip/BCL
    Type
    1a/F/iii

Oh no, your hair doesn't need to be that long to be able to do it Shoulder length will already do
    DUTCH or FLEMISH speaking?
    www.hairfairforum.be

Actually hair around midback to tailbone length is a really nice length for french braiding. If it's uber long as mine is, most of the french braid ends up being regular braiding anyway.

There are a ton of youtube videos that demonstrate how to french braid hair. Having a person here post a picture will not help you create one for yourself. While finished results are nice to look at, it isn't helpful information if you want to learn how to do it yourself.

French braiding is very easy: it's simply a 3 strand braid begun and then you pull in hair at each portion of the weaving and proceed. Repeat, repeat, repeat til all your hair is in a braid. You can tuck the length under and pin if you like.

heidi w.

By Lady Godiva
    Avatar Photo: Bruce Folck, Blue Dragon Photography. Profile Photo: LJC

Quote Originally Posted by Phalaenopsis View Post
    Oh no, your hair doesn't need to be that long to be able to do it Shoulder length will already do
    I saw a youtube video earlier this week of a super short, layered gal french braiding her hair. She got it done.

heidi w.

By Lady Godiva
    Avatar Photo: Bruce Folck, Blue Dragon Photography. Profile Photo: LJC

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

You can start french braiding now.

Length
    <apl/hip/BCL
    Type
    1a/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by heidi w. View Post
    I saw a youtube video earlier this week of a super short, layered gal french braiding her hair. She got it done.

heidi w.
    I've braided other people's heads an entire day from short till long and shoulder length is the most comfortable length to start trying it, especially when you've never done a French braid on yourself before.
    DUTCH or FLEMISH speaking?
    www.hairfairforum.be

Length
    APL/Hip +/TBL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Phalaenopsis View Post
    I've braided other people's heads an entire day from short till long and shoulder length is the most comfortable length to start trying it, especially when you've never done a French braid on yourself before.
    I agree and Phalaenopsis ^ also has a great video on French braiding this lady also does the front a bit like Lara croft

http://www.youtube.com/watch?
    Last edited by bunzfan; April 15th, 2012 at 11:16 AM.
    APL 2010 BSL JUL 2010 WSL 2011 HIP 2013 Going for Tailbone December 2017