Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Oiling Thin/fine hair

Length
    12.5/19/32 in
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Post Oiling Thin/fine hair

Hi, I have very fine hair. I used to use coconut oil as a pre poo so I used about 1/4 of a teaspoon without the fear of looking greasy since I was going to be washing it out.

After reading so many wonderful posts on here about oiling after washing, I really wanted to give it a shot. I use barely any at all, just a fraction of the 1/4 teaspoon I was using before, just dipping my finger tip and then spreading that small dab on the palms of my hands and lightly touching from ear down. But my hair separates and looks very oily afterwards, it never absorbs or goes away until the next washing. Is it possible that thin/fine hair just can't be oiled w/o the greasy look?? Anyone with thin/fine hair have any oiling tips? Thanks!

Length
    SL/APL/HL
    Type
    1b/1c/F/i

Default Re: Oiling Thin/fine hair

i have the same problem, usually i apply it to my hair when it's really wet, and just blot it with a towel, it gets most of the excess oil off.

Length
    3/28/30+
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I have tried oiling my baby fine hair on and off....but I dont think the habit will really stick. I have found a good natural based conditioner that moisturizes my hair (Yes to Carrots). seems to work the best for me for now

*if you are interested in using the conditioner I mentioned, look at the ingredients label in stores because the ones posted online are not accurate. The recipe seems to have changed.

I hope you find something that works for you!!

ETA: I have also started misting my hair with lavender and orange essential oil diluted in filtered water. It smells good. I hope it works out long term.
    Up in a bun, away from baby fists!!!

Length
    12.5/19/32 in
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by kitten91 View Post
    i have the same problem, usually i apply it to my hair when it's really wet, and just blot it with a towel, it gets most of the excess oil off.
    Thanks, I usually apply once it's dry so I will have to try this.

Quote Originally Posted by barely.there View Post
    I have tried oiling my baby fine hair on and off....but I dont think the habit will really stick........
    At least I'm not alone in this lol I have tried the yes to carrots hair mask and loved it, but their products are a tad bit pricey for me, but something to consider if I find it on sale

Length
    SL/TBL/Class
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Mineral oil works really well on fine hair while damp. I use 2-3 drops and it helps to seal in moisture without looking stringy.
    May 2017
    Lady Rhoslynn Of Two Wheeled Thunder~Order of the Long Haired Knights

I have had the same problem. Any amount of oil would make my hair stringy and greasy. I have better luck using a tiny amount of a mixture of oils and butters (I still haven't quite figured out why this is). I use a small amount of NightBlooming's Panacea salve on my ends with great results.

Length
    bsl/elbow/n/a
    Type
    1c/F/ii

I sometimes will apply coconut oil to my hair.

I usually spoon out a small amount (say a spoon from the silverware drawer's worth), and put it in a small container. I usually figure that amount will last me 6 months or so of regular oilings. This means I'm using a tiny scrape from the surface of my oil lump each time, for my whole head of BSL to waist length hair. (as in my hair has varied in length from BSL to waist while I experimented) For direct oiling, what works best is to put my hair into twin braids, then spread the oil on my hands to rub it into the braids.

The oil shampoo method works somewhat better, but it really requires my hair to have no mineral build up at all... so it's pretty finicky with how hard my water is.

Deep oiling before a wash doesn't seem to work well at all for me.

But on the whole, I find oiling pretty finicky to manage, and my regular leave in conditioner works better.

Length
    3 in/27.5/27.5
    Type
    2a/F/ii

I have had very satisfactory results with baby oil (mineral oil). After shampoo and conditioner are rinsed out and the excess moisture is squeezed out of my hair, I put a small amount of baby oil in my left hand and rub it betweem both palms. Than I scrunch it gently into my length, with my head upside down. Then, I blot the hair with a towel and wrap it turban-style for a few minutes. Then I take the towel off, gently scrunch my length again, with nothing on my hands, to coax a few waves into the length. Then, I let it air dry. My ends never feel dry or grabby, since I've been doing this. I wash every two or three days. I'm also starting to wear it up more often. I have tried coconut, jojoba, olive, and castor oils, but none of them come close to being as nice for my hair as baby oil.

Length
    12.5/19/32 in
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Question Re: Oiling Thin/fine hair

It sounds like many of you are finding mineral oil/baby oil is better for thin hair. I really want to try that but I'm a bit hesitant since I ended up throwing all my baby oil out a few years ago because of conflicting reports that it does more harm than good (on skin) Also if I remember correctly it's a petroleum based product. How does it react on hair in comparison to skin? Does anyone feel it eventually builds up and keeps moisture out (as is the case with the skin) ??

I want to try it but need some further convincing lol Also do you just buy the mineral oil without it being the baby oil itself, since that has other added ingredients or is the baby oil better? Sorry for the Q's overload, and thanks everyone for all your input so far!!

Length
    20/37/47
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/iii

I use coconut oil and grapeseed oil on my ends.