Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice on S&D

Length
    19/34/38
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Default Advice on S&D

Hi everyone! I know S&D has been brought up loads of times but I couldn't find what I was looking for.

I know what it is and how to do it, but it's still very frustrating! My hair is fine and blond (se pic :P) so splits are sometimes hard to see and white spots? Practically impossible to spot! So, now I'm looking for some tips on how to make S&D a bit less painful.

Should I have a contrasting background? Backlit or not? Any tips are welcome! I really want to do S&D but I get so very very irritadet when I notice all those splits that I've missed!
    CO since 15-08-11

Length
    14?/28/39
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

Default Re: Advice on S&D

I don't have blonde hair though my hair is fine. I find I can only do it during daylight, sat in front of my pc with the monitor off. It seems to work. My hair is quite dark as it's hennaed too. You'd think light back vs dark hair would work but it doesn't seem to. I just find it much easier that way.

Length
    -/48/-
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii/iii

I have a wall sconce/light thing on either side of the mirror in my bathroom and I position myself so when I'm holding my hair up looking for splits the light is behind it, it makes it easier for me to see.

If that doesn't work I would use contrast. Can you hang a dark towel up so you can see better? Maybe drape it over your shower curtian rod?

Extraordinary Wordsmith WaitingSoLong's Avatar
    Length
    MTL/BSL/none
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

I can tell you NOT to put light on it, the little reflections can look like white dots and you can snip perfectly good hair by making this mistake. The best way to see splits is in bright sunlight bit this gives you that false dot issue.

I have blonde hair, when I S&D'd (I don't anymore), I would fan out a section and hold it over my desk/vanity (in the air). The cherry wood color seemed to help. You could also try wearing reading glasses to get a bit of magnification but I haven't tried that. You have to have 3 hands to use a magnifying glass. I don't know about you, but I am short one.

~WSL~My YouTube tutorials with Classic+ Hair
    FTL in 2013. Back to waist/virgin 2014. Virgin thigh 2018. Cut back to waist July 2018

Length
    TBL/TBL/KL
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

I S&D in front of my computer screen
    Lady Amber, High Priestess of Viva Naturalis, in the order of The Long Haired Knights.
    Using Curly Girl approved haircare... but being utterly neglectful of my curls....
    Longest Length: TBL Current: TBL Goal: Knee Length

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I like doing it under a bright light with a dark background. If I'm unsure regarding a white dot, I put fingers on either side of it and pull. If it pops apart, I then cut back the end about 1/4 inch.

I find it easiest to S&D the damaged hairs that stick out of my braids. I'll often wear my hair in 2 braids just for this purpose.

Length
    SL/TBL/Class
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

S&D is really tough with blonde hair. I find the best place to do it in my house is by a sunny window. Artificial light doesn't work well to illuminate splits in blonde hair.

I also splay the strands just like WaitingSoLong against my dark colored shirt or blanket, so I can see the splits more easily. If I start seeing more than 20-30 splits in a S&D session, then I just go for a trim.
    May 2017
    Lady Rhoslynn Of Two Wheeled Thunder~Order of the Long Haired Knights

Tries to Help Everyone jacqueline101's Avatar
    Length
    slh/Hip/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/iii

I go through and look for splits and trim them.

http://51303.photobucket.com/user/ja...ker101/profile
    Some say I'm nearing hip and my fat ate the hair I'm jacqueline101 not a pronoun
    jacquelinewalker101.blogspot.com

Length
    19/34/38
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Thanks everyone! You've been really helpful I'm going to try what you have suggested and see what fits me best :3 Thanks!
    CO since 15-08-11

Length
    Bob/SL/Waist
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I also have this problem! And when I looked at your profile picture I saw that you're also from Sweden, haha. My hair is so fine and blonde that I can't see any splits at all... It's so frustrating!