Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tha vaccum cleaner

Length
    17 in/35 in/TB
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

Default Tha vaccum cleaner

We cleaned house this morning and the vacuum cleaner died. This is the second one I have killed in the last 12 months.

Any suggestions on a brand of vacuum cleaner that can withstand long hair? Reasonably priced?

Length
    Ear/BSL/Term
    Type
    1b/1c/F/i

Default Re: Tha vaccum cleaner

! I don't have long hair yet so I don't really know but I'm going to be super pissed if my vacuum cleaner dies because in the future because of my hair. It's an Oreck and I don't like any other kind of vacuum and they are really expensive!!!

*subs and waits, hoping people suggest Orecks as good vacuums*

Type
    2a/C/iii

I have a Sears Kenmore that still works after 11 years. I have replaced the belt and beater brush twice.

I remove hairs from the beater brush after every 1-2 uses. I think that all vacuum cleaners will have difficulty with long hair, so you should shop for a model that is easy to disassemble and clean.

Raking the carpets with a shrub rake before vacuuming can reduce the number of hairs wrapped around the beater brush.
    Ed
    If there's something strange with your long hair / Who you gonna call? / L-H-C! (sung to the tune of Ghostbusters)

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I've heard two suggestions around here that solve the dead vacuum problem. But first, make sure you didn't just break the belt that drives the brush. That's an easy fix.

1) Regularly cut the hair off the beater bar. How often, of course, depends on how much hair is on the carpet and how often you vacuum. A seam ripper works really well.

2) Get a vacuum without a beater bar, such as a shop vac. Then you don't have the moving part that most often breaks.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    ?/26/30++
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

I don't know if you can get one where you live, but we have a 'Miele Cat and Dog' (designed to pick up pet hair) - and it helps in a household with two sheddy fine longhairs.

We've had it for about four years now and it is still running well. Miele is a good brand.

I do go in and regularly clean the 'beater brush' (the part you run along the carpet) and use scissors to cut all the long hair off of it so it doesn't get stuck and malfunction (it is an electronically-driven roller).

Good luck!
    Feb 2013, solid BSL again but shedding. Wondering if this is really terminal length. Hairtype 1b/2b, F/M, ii

Length
    hip/hip/hurra
    Type
    1a/M/ii

Dyson.

DysonDysonDyson! (^(oo)^)v

Specifically, one of the Dyson "Ball" models, which come equipped with a completely detachable brush bar:

Genius ( ' (oo) ' )

I used to kill at least one vacuum cleaner per year, but I've had my Dyson since 2008 and it's still chugging along. Oh, and I had no idea how much dirt my old vacuums were leaving behind!! The first time I used the Dyson in my living room (which had been vacuumed weekly up to that point), I had to empty the canister three times. THREE! Ick!
    Last edited by luxepiggy; March 31st, 2012 at 10:51 AM.
    I'm a little piggy! (^(oo)^)v

made of sugar and cyanide MandyBeth's Avatar
    Length
    6"?/17"/.....
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii/iii

Second vote for Dyson. Pet hair is the killer here, but same idea.

Sorry Holo, I have murdered Orecks in the past. They are pissy about fixing also since I was abusing the stupid thing.

ETA - yes they are expensive. But I can kill a $99 vac in a few months and a mid line vac in a year. My $500 Dyson is at 6 years and is as good as the day I unpacked it. So I'm now under $100 a year so it is far cheaper.
    Last edited by MandyBeth; March 31st, 2012 at 11:00 AM.

Length
    16.1/30.31/40
    Type
    1b/F/ii

A dyson is so high on my wish list, my mum has one, and after 10 years it still works great!
    May 12th 2012, virgin hair back!
    chin, shoulder,apl,bsl,waist, hip,tailbone, classic.
    Hip length expected in January 2016.

Sober Lush Extraordinair AnqeIicDemise's Avatar
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii/iii

remove the underside of the vacuum and clean the brush free off hair once every other month. buy spare belts in case one breaks. ive been using the same helix vac for six years. mom has had her hoover for 14.

ps the only reason I got rid of my 50 dollar hoover was because I couldn't move it with me. my helix was about... 150. I just keep some spare parts, like belts and filters.
    Last edited by AnqeIicDemise; March 31st, 2012 at 12:52 PM.

Length
    shrug/33/45
    Type
    3a/F/ii

another vote for Dyson here.
    We've had ours for almost as long as I can remember and it's coped with 2 long haired people, and seems to be quite happy with 3 long haired people