Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: light patch = going grey?

Length
    28/28/47
    Type
    2c/M/C/iii

Question light patch = going grey?

Something odd is going on with my hair. Is it the start of going grey?

I'm (shh. don't tell anyone) just a bit over 30 now and in the last year or so I've noticed some of my individual strands of hair have patches with little or no pigment. I don't know if this is 'going grey' or pigment loss due to medication and/or stress and/or something other.

My hair is very dark brown (with the upper layer slightly lighter due to the sun). I've only dyed it a couple of times, and that was professionally done in my early 20s.

These light patches are only on a few (but increasing number) of strands of hair. They last about 1 to 4 inches, then my hair returns to the normal colour. No two strands seem to have it in the same place, so it's not like a band of light colour around my head. This happens on hair that is exposed to the sun, and hair that is underneath. The light patch of hair starts at or around the scalp, and lasts as the hair grows.

Is this the start of going grey? I assume I'm now officially old enough to start getting grey hairs. Or is it something else?

Type
    2b/M/iii

Default Re: light patch = going grey?

Sounds like your hair is beginning to grey. Mine started at the temples and then worked its way down each side, near the hairline.

Length
    28/28/47
    Type
    2c/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Madora View Post
    Sounds like your hair is beginning to grey. Mine started at the temples and then worked its way down each side, near the hairline.
    Even if the strands turn brown again after a few inches?

It's okay if I go grey, in fact, I've often toyed with the idea of grey highlights (if that's even possible). It would be nice to be able to buy wine without having to show proof that I'm over 18. It can actually be a bad thing to look TOO young.

But I'm also a bit nervous about going grey. Everyone I know who 'went grey' just stopped dying their hair so it was a sudden hit-you-in-the-face grey. Is there a classy way to go grey? Or should I start reading the henna threads?

Once and Future Long-Hair XcaliburGirl's Avatar
    Length
    23/27.5/CL 44
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii/iii

I am starting to notice that too. More lighter hairs, and some with patches of white or gold(as opposed to brown), not always at the root. I only have 2 stark-white hairs, though.

Maybe look at the Salt and Pepper thread for examples.
    I want to finally get back to Classic. Growing again starting March 2018.

❀☾ⓟᵃᵑᵈᵒᴿᵃ ℒᵒᵑᶢᶩᵒᶜᵏᶳ☽❁ princessp's Avatar
    Length
    27"/39"/42"
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

I have two natural blonde streaks and I'm quite sure they are white now at (shhh) almost 40. But I henna my hair and so they are bright orange now. I actually wouldn't mind the white streaks, but I am not that talented with my henna to be able to avoid just those spots.
    Pandora LongLocks of the Forbidden Treasure in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    17"/23.5"/45"
    Type
    2b/F/ii

Go look at the salt and pepper thread - loads of us sparklies over there

Length
    28/28/47
    Type
    2c/M/C/iii

But is it going grey?
    If I was livestock, it would be an indication of a health issue (nutritional or stress) - but how much are humans like animals?

Type
    2b/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by trampledbygeese View Post
    Even if the strands turn brown again after a few inches?

It's okay if I go grey, in fact, I've often toyed with the idea of grey highlights (if that's even possible). It would be nice to be able to buy wine without having to show proof that I'm over 18. It can actually be a bad thing to look TOO young.

But I'm also a bit nervous about going grey. Everyone I know who 'went grey' just stopped dying their hair so it was a sudden hit-you-in-the-face grey. Is there a classy way to go grey? Or should I start reading the henna threads?
    Greying is not always pure grey hair sprouting out of the scalp. Sometimes the pigmented hair can be two toned. I guess it is something like a clock...your natural hair color was growing perfectly fine and then bingo..it is still growing..but the pigment isn't there any longer. I've seen this on others but it never happened to me.

Curiously, I had one strand of hair where the gray was at the very tip. Not damaged either..but pure white. I should have kept it when it fell out..it was very unusual.

Length
    28/28/47
    Type
    2c/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Madora View Post
    Greying is not always pure grey hair sprouting out of the scalp. Sometimes the pigmented hair can be two toned. I guess it is something like a clock...your natural hair color was growing perfectly fine and then bingo..it is still growing..but the pigment isn't there any longer. I've seen this on others but it never happened to me.

Curiously, I had one strand of hair where the gray was at the very tip. Not damaged either..but pure white. I should have kept it when it fell out..it was very unusual.
    So it is a natural way to go grey and not a sign of something else. That's sort-of good news.

Now, how long does it take from the first signs to total grey? I have very limited family history to go by - my mum damaged her hair with home dye kits twice a week and went grey much younger than I am now. My dad's family goes salt and pepper in their late fifties, and grey by mid 80s. What other factors besides genetics influence grey hair?

Length
    17/45"/??
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Yes, it is going grey. For many of us 'grey' is actually the combination of white/unpigmented hairs mixed with your usual color hairs. Some of my hairs come in white then switch back to dark, but lately more and more are just staying white for their whole life cycle.