Thread: Knots at the top?

Huge Tolkien Nerd! Long_hair_bear's Avatar
    Length
    bob/41.25/Term
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Default Knots at the top?

Hey everyone!

I was wondering if anyone else has my issue and how they go about fixing it. I brush my hair out with a tt after finger combing. My ends (surprisingly) usually aren't that tangled. However, when I get to my ear line and alittle above, my hair likes to knot. Talk about über strange. I wear my hair up most of the time and pigtail it before bed. The only thing I can think of is that I don't wear a sleep cap or have a silk pillowcase yet. Maybe that would help? Anyone else have my problem?

“Some of the worst mistakes in my life were haircuts." - Jim Morrison
    "But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her." 1 Corinthians 11:15
    *UNICORN* Looking for Maxima Diamond Two toned Amethyst in Large

Tries to Help Everyone jacqueline101's Avatar
    Length
    slh/Hip/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/iii

Default Re: Knots at the top?

I would say try a sleep cap if not spray a detangler on and comb with a wide tooth comb to get the tangles out.

http://51303.photobucket.com/user/ja...ker101/profile
    Some say I'm nearing hip and my fat ate the hair I'm jacqueline101 not a pronoun
    jacquelinewalker101.blogspot.com

Type
    2b/M/iii

long hair bear, are you putting any type of product on your hair above the ear line that isn't being put on the rest of the hair? If you do,it might be a buildup problem that is helping to cause the tangles in that area.

Do you detangle and brush in the bent at the waist position? That technique would give you greater access to all your hair.

Lastly, after you have finger combed, do you detangle with a wide tooth comb before you use your TT?

Some tangles are very small and can hide in your hair if you only finger comb and don't go after them with a wide tooth comb.

I hope you find a solution to your problem.

Length
    21.5/30/36
    Type
    3b/M/iii

I would love to hear about this mysterious behavior called "detangling." You ladies speak as if you actually get tangle-free hair out of it? *grin*

Perhaps it is the nature of curly hair, but no matter how much I "detangle" I can NEVER run my fingers through my hair without getting caught up in a tangle... so what gives? Are you folks actually getting smooth, untangled hair after you "detangle?"
    Shoulder 21" : APL 26" : BSL 30" : Waist
    ah, curly hair... I love it, but it takes a long time to spiral its sweet way down my back...

Length
    TBL/TBL/KL
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

I get knots midway up my length. I think braiding or bunting your hair at night might help.
    Lady Amber, High Priestess of Viva Naturalis, in the order of The Long Haired Knights.
    Using Curly Girl approved haircare... but being utterly neglectful of my curls....
    Longest Length: TBL Current: TBL Goal: Knee Length

Type
    2b/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Egana View Post
    I would love to hear about this mysterious behavior called "detangling." You ladies speak as if you actually get tangle-free hair out of it? *grin*

Perhaps it is the nature of curly hair, but no matter how much I "detangle" I can NEVER run my fingers through my hair without getting caught up in a tangle... so what gives? Are you folks actually getting smooth, untangled hair after you "detangle?"
    Curlies have a much more difficult time detangling because of the structure of their hair.

It is possible to do, but you need to go slowly, and in very small increments. Many curlies find that finger combing is the only solution to detangling. Others do use a wide tooth comb.

And yes, many of us do have smooth, easy to manage hair after detangling. It's all in the way you detangle and how gentle you are with the detangling comb.

Length
    APL/36Hip/CL
    Type
    1a/C/iii

Are the knots right above where your sleeping hairstyle starts or near it? I had that issue with pigtails before I switched to a sleeping bun. If not, then I agree with the idea of changing pillowcases and seeing how it works out.

Length
    30.5/?/term
    Type
    2c/3a/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Egana View Post

Oh, I know exactly what you mean. I'm not sure how it works for curlies, but I find that the more moisturized my hair is the closer it gets to staying detangled. It's pretty magical, because I always kind of figured that my hair type was "tangled".
    Now: widest part of my calf

Favorite hairstyles: Elling Woman bun Amish braids

Length
    SL/WL/CL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I've noticed I get almost no tangles when I've got the protein/moisture balance right. However if I get even the slightest thing off, or a bit of buildup, or god help me if I use a humectant at the wrong time I get tangles from tip to ears.

I've noticed the same thing for shine

Huge Tolkien Nerd! Long_hair_bear's Avatar
    Length
    bob/41.25/Term
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

@ Madora.... No, I use all the same stuff on all my hair except panacea that I just use on my ends. I don't use a wide tooth comb because I don't care for them. I just fingercomb then use my tt.

@ psyche....ya they are right above where my pigtails start around my earline. Unfortunately, I can't sleep in a bun. Too bulky for me.

I may have to invest in a sleep cap or silk pillowcase.

“Some of the worst mistakes in my life were haircuts." - Jim Morrison
    "But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her." 1 Corinthians 11:15
    *UNICORN* Looking for Maxima Diamond Two toned Amethyst in Large