Thread: Massage Oil for hair?

Default Massage Oil for hair?

My DBF recently bought some massage oil from Bath and Body Works in lavender vanilla and I LOVE the scent! I want that smell in my hair but was wondering if you can use massage oil as a hair oil? I've been looking for a good smelling product (oil, spray) that will linger in my hair.
    "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
— Albert Einstein

Length
    12/mb/waist
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Default Re: Massage Oil for hair?

What's in the massage oil?
    Routine for my dyed mid back length hair: shampoo and condition twice a week, with Alterna Kendi Dry Oil Spray all over and shea butter on ends and lightly on length as leave-ins on wet hair, and blow dried with a Sedu on low heat

Type
    2b/F/ii/iii

It really depends what is in the oil. If it's just a bunch of other oils and scents, it would probably be perfectly fine. However, depending on the composition some of the ingredients possibly could be drying or something.

Ingredient: Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed oil, Capryic/Capric Triglyceride, Laureth-4, Polyglyceryl-10 Decaoleate, Fragrance, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed oil, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, Vanilla Planifolia Fruit, Salvis Sclarea (Clary) Oil, Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oil, Hypericum Perforation Extract, Triticum Vulgare (wheat) Germ Oil, Sambucus Nigra Flower Extract, Angelica Archangelica Root Extract, Melissa Officinalis Leaf Extract, Tocopherol, Squalene, Bisabolol, 1,2-Hexanediol, Caprylyl Glycol, Polysorbate 21, Menthyl Lactate, BHT, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Benzyl Alcohol, Butylphenyl Methypropional, Citronellol, Coumarin, Limonene, Hexyl Cinnamal, Linaool

I had to type that out from the back of the bottle so there might be typos
    "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
— Albert Einstein

Length
    12/mb/waist
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Looks like it's mainly sunflower seed oil and caprylic/capric triglyceride (which comes from coconut oil)... sunflower seed is a drying oil which means that it will form a film as it oxidizes. I personally have had no problems using drying oils on my hair but I clarify once or twice a month... ymmv.
    Routine for my dyed mid back length hair: shampoo and condition twice a week, with Alterna Kendi Dry Oil Spray all over and shea butter on ends and lightly on length as leave-ins on wet hair, and blow dried with a Sedu on low heat

Length
    Waist/Hip/CL
    Type
    1b/M/iii

We have that massage oil and several others from Bath and Body. I use them on a pretty regular basis on my hair. No ill effects, and the smell lasts longer than tranditional hair serums. I like them for detangling / perfuming purposes.
    Let s/he who has no split ends cast the first cone!

Length
    sl/APL/wl+
    Type
    1a/1b/M/C/ii/iii

I say if you're really worried, strand test. Sounds really weird, but it's what I do with unknown quantities in my hair.
    Last edited by Tisiloves; March 3rd, 2012 at 11:54 PM. Reason: Where did that second q come from?

Good to know that the massage oil is not a big "no no" for hair. I've been dying to find something good smelling for my hair cause by around wash-day, it starts to smell
— Albert Einstein