Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: how to deal with breakage

Length
    20/25/38,WL
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

Default how to deal with breakage

My hair, which i have just colored even though it was kinda damaged from past heat styling and very rough handling, now seems to be breaking off, maybe 1 in pieces here and there and very bad around my face, i know it is not the end of the world and there have been worse cases, but what is a way to at least save the hair and possibly stop it from breaking without having to cut it all off when it gets really bad? If anything, my hair is dry and slightly over proteined (stupid salon used a different DT than usual and it was VERY protein heavy...) so i do not think the breakage is from lack of protein. I am not african american and do not relax my hair or perm it is this helps (i am not being mean, i just know this sort of hair tends to be fragiler). I know cutting is the only way to remove damage, but my hair really isn't that bad and this could just be a case of too much protein, if this sounds like the case, could you please direct me to a good at home moisture treatment? Also, if i do the SMT for moisture, can i use mollasses instead of honey?
    Meow to all!!! /\_/\ (=O.O=) (#) (#)

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Default Re: how to deal with breakage

Just trim off the worst damage at the ends and s&d when needed. You can use molasses instead of honey - make sure to use a vinegar rinse to follow.

Length
    TBL/TBL/KL
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

Definitely trim off the damage- sounds like you need to do that.
    Lady Amber, High Priestess of Viva Naturalis, in the order of The Long Haired Knights.
    Using Curly Girl approved haircare... but being utterly neglectful of my curls....
    Longest Length: TBL Current: TBL Goal: Knee Length

A signal of too much protein on the hair can be sudden, and ALSO a lot of breakage of hair. Such as one can rake through the hair and experience a lot of hair bits in the hand.

If that is what is going on in fact, then I recommend getting stuff off the hair, IMMEDIATELY. Smearing with oil or conditioner won't help the problem in that case.

I would recommend clarifying as many as 2 times and hope for it to cease, and if it doesn't then progress to chelating after clarifying twice. But do not chelate without first trying clarifying.

It's important to know that in a given brand between a shampoo and conditioner in a specific brand, protein is included as part of the recipe for that brand's products. Protein imbalance can occur when we mix and match from different manufacturer/brand lines; it can occur if we add perhaps a leave-in; it can occur in the wake of a deep oil/protein treatment, such as VO5, which has a ton of protein in it.

In my case, I had this happen because I added in (years ago now) a leave-in that a hairdresser suggested, and my hair began immediately and suddenly breaking off in droves. I read the bottle and learned that for those with my hair type, I was to rinse the product out/off. Le Ooops! So back in the shower I climbed and rinsed all that crap out of my hair, and just as suddenly as it began, it ceased.

I hope this offers some help. Also, with hair coloring, changing hair texture such as perming, a professional hair dresser should perform a "strand test" regarding hair's health and ability to "take" the new application before proceeding on applying to all of the hair. Unfortunately, a lot of hairdressers skip this step, and people can get into all kinds of trouble. There are even tests for assessing protein that one can perform -- assessing whether protein is really needed or not. ETA: (They can also test "elasticity" of the hair which can be helpful to know; and can test porosity.) END ETA. A lot of stuff in hairdressing is actually chemical, and requires chemical knowledge, and a lot of this just isn't necessarily taught very clearly in hairdressing school.

ETA2: I would ALSO compose a letter informing the salon and the specific hairdresser of your outcome and problem and your eventual resolution because this hairdresser clearly needs more training if we have a protein overload problem in response to coloring the hair. The dresser needs to learn to do better next time and not send people home with hair falling off. That's a big no-no. END ETA2.

ETA3: I would not return to that salon ever again. END ETA3.
    heidi w.
    Last edited by heidi w.; February 15th, 2012 at 02:53 PM.

By Lady Godiva
    Avatar Photo: Bruce Folck, Blue Dragon Photography. Profile Photo: LJC

With your current history, if there is not too much product on your hair now, you can also try using a drop or so of mineral oil/baby oil on very damp ends of the areas, to help rehydrate them. If there is a lot of product on those areas, it will be less to no help.

Length
    20/25/38,WL
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by heidi w. View Post
    A signal of too much protein on the hair can be sudden, and ALSO a lot of breakage of hair. Such as one can rake through the hair and experience a lot of hair bits in the hand.

If that is what is going on in fact, then I recommend getting stuff off the hair, IMMEDIATELY. Smearing with oil or conditioner won't help the problem in that case.

I would recommend clarifying as many as 2 times and hope for it to cease, and if it doesn't then progress to chelating after clarifying twice. But do not chelate without first trying clarifying.

It's important to know that in a given brand between a shampoo and conditioner in a specific brand, protein is included as part of the recipe for that brand's products. Protein imbalance can occur when we mix and match from different manufacturer/brand lines; it can occur if we add perhaps a leave-in; it can occur in the wake of a deep oil/protein treatment, such as VO5, which has a ton of protein in it.

In my case, I had this happen because I added in (years ago now) a leave-in that a hairdresser suggested, and my hair began immediately and suddenly breaking off in droves. I read the bottle and learned that for those with my hair type, I was to rinse the product out/off. Le Ooops! So back in the shower I climbed and rinsed all that crap out of my hair, and just as suddenly as it began, it ceased.

I hope this offers some help. Also, with hair coloring, changing hair texture such as perming, a professional hair dresser should perform a "strand test" regarding hair's health and ability to "take" the new application before proceeding on applying to all of the hair. Unfortunately, a lot of hairdressers skip this step, and people can get into all kinds of trouble. There are even tests for assessing protein that one can perform -- assessing whether protein is really needed or not. ETA: (They can also test "elasticity" of the hair which can be helpful to know; and can test porosity.) END ETA. A lot of stuff in hairdressing is actually chemical, and requires chemical knowledge, and a lot of this just isn't necessarily taught very clearly in hairdressing school.

ETA2: I would ALSO compose a letter informing the salon and the specific hairdresser of your outcome and problem and your eventual resolution because this hairdresser clearly needs more training if we have a protein overload problem in response to coloring the hair. The dresser needs to learn to do better next time and not send people home with hair falling off. That's a big no-no. END ETA2.

ETA3: I would not return to that salon ever again. END ETA3.
    heidi w.

Yeah, none of those strand tests of any sort have ever been done on my hair, i already stopped having the salon stop cutting my hair (i was told my hair would not look good long and many other things) i only went in for color but the lady who normally does it was booked so some other lady "supposedly" used the same formulation (translation, she didn't even do it right!) the color is not dark enough and will wash out in a week i suppose (it already has some out with one wash) my hair is incrdibly protein sensitive right now, but i do not think these people (the ladies who have done my hair there in the past) even know what that means. I agree she should have done better, but also my hair is damaged to begin with, maybe it is my fault for wanting color? (or wanting good hair to begin with...) I want to clarify to get this crap off, but since the color was done sunday, and i just washed yesterday, clarifying might take out too much color (but i am proably going to get a semi permanet and do that then color my hair myself from now on too expensive to do salon color and have bad hair from it! I mean really it is nearly 100 dollars to do my almost BSL hair and the color is not even right? come on!) I do not think the breakage is THAT bad yet, but i am worried it may become so, this is right now a case of weak hair that is prone to breakage as of now, althoug i did find some 1 in pieces earlier...i know i need a trim, i am getting one later this week (maybe 1/2 in or so off) at a different, much better salon that has trimmed my hair once and done better than the place i went for color used to over 3 yrs time!) but i also want my hair is the best possible condition before the trim, if only to avoid cutting off too much. Thank you for the help

Length
    20/25/38,WL
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by ktani View Post
    With your current history, if there is not too much product on your hair now, you can also try using a drop or so of mineral oil/baby oil on very damp ends of the areas, to help rehydrate them. If there is a lot of product on those areas, it will be less to no help.
    I will proably do this if i end up clarifying...which also looks like it is now on my to do list, sadly. Will an SMT be good after clarifying? and how much color would a good round (2 or 3 suds up in one wash) with a clarifying shampoo (suave clarifying shampoo, the blue stuff) take out? I will proably end up doing a semi permant in a few weeks when my hair is happier...i swear this is a never ending problem with no solution...(not the color or breakage, my hair in general)

Length
    20/25/38,WL
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

I will, not to worry

Quote Originally Posted by Hollyfire3 View Post
    I will proably do this if i end up clarifying...which also looks like it is now on my to do list, sadly. Will an SMT be good after clarifying? and how much color would a good round (2 or 3 suds up in one wash) with a clarifying shampoo (suave clarifying shampoo, the blue stuff) take out? I will proably end up doing a semi permant in a few weeks when my hair is happier...i swear this is a never ending problem with no solution...(not the color or breakage, my hair in general)
    I know some people like it, however, Suave clarifying shampoo - the version I have seen, contains hydoxyethylcellulose - which leaves a residue of its own and builds-up. I would avoid any clarifying shampoo with that in it.

Shampoo itself does not remove colour. It is the water used. If the colour was not done properly that affects colour fade as well.

I honestly think from having read all of your threads on this, that part of the continuing problem is that you use too much product at one time, which causes dryness as it builds-up, which you then try to remedy with more product.

Length
    20/25/38,WL
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by ktani View Post
    I know some people like it, however, Suave clarifying shampoo - the version I have seen, contains hydoxyethylcellulose - which leaves a residue of its own and builds-up. I would avoid any clarifying shampoo with that in it.

Shampoo itself does not remove colour. It is the water used. If the colour was not done properly that affects colour fade as well.

I honestly think from having read all of your threads on this, that part of the continuing problem is that you use too much product at one time, which causes dryness as it builds-up, which you then try to remedy with more product.

This is part of my problem, i know it and thank you for reconizing it. I think my best plan of attack would be to get stuff out of my hair, then try 1 (the SMT) DT and find a rountine and stick with it for at least a week (i tried this this week and the stuff i am using seems to be building up, my hair was oddly greasy after washing last night...i might go buy the netrogeuna clarifying shampoo like you suggested (i know shampoo does not take out color, but is this one harsh on color?) also, can you recomend a good (perfeably cone free) shampoo and conditioner that is balanced in protein and moisture? I need somewhere to start and i think that starting point should be finding somehting that actually works, i will even try a new mousse, i just need to revamp all of this because i am going in circles. I will try anythign, give up anything, even my newly colored hue, just to get all this fixed and dead once and for all. Please help me find a good, solid basic attack plan, i will put this behind me and fix it if it is the last thing i do!