Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any tips on how to fade hair color?

Length
    BSL/Hip?/Hip
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Default Any tips on how to fade hair color?

Okay, a little back story...

I graduated beauty school to become a nail tech not long ago. I have an interview scheduled on this coming up Tuesday at this really nice spa. I really, really want to work there. Its everything I've been looking for in a salon/spa.

So... on to the main topic of this thread. The spa emailed me a copy of the dress code so that i can dress appropriately. And low and behold... "Hair color should be subtle and in a natural hue (no un-natural or drastic colors)."

Like I said, I really want this job. So, unfortunately I need to change my hair. No more bright red and purple hair.

I need to fade out the red and purple so I can dye it brown. And I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to help fade it out fast. I've heard washing with dish soap works, but I imagine that would be extremely drying. Also if anyone can recommend a nice shade of brown, I'd appreciate it.

And just FYI, in case anyone was wondering, The red was not bleached. I used a dye made for dark hair. The bangs and tips were of course bleached.

Here are a few pics of my hair now, to give you an idea.

And here is an old pic of my hair with its natural color. Please forgive the lame myspace pose.

R.I.P. Bright Red hair, I'll miss you.

Uh... I did resize the photos, so IDK why they look huge.

Oh, the humidity! woolyleprechaun's Avatar
    Length
    1inch/38/??
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

Default Re: Any tips on how to fade hair color?

None of your pics look too bright anyway.....What kind of beauty spa is that fussy about hair?! I bet they have bleached-white-blonde girls there. Mabe you could try just putting a temp brown over it just to take the edge off? Red fades very fast of its own accord.

Length
    2''/APL/?
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I would get myself a wig.

You could also try green and yellow (deposit only) colours to make your hair brown. Green+red=brown... If you decide to try it I would recommend careful strand tests first. I doubt that it would be as simple as it sound like..
    Last edited by Neneka; February 11th, 2012 at 04:19 AM.
    1b/F/ii
    Started from a very short pixie at April 2011

Technicolour Pug Lover pink.sara's Avatar
    Length
    42/26/36
    Type
    1a/1b/F/iii

If you're using a demi-permanent brown a tiny bit darker than your natural shade it will cover the colours you have pretty effectively without needing to fade them.
    But if you wanted your hair crazy coloured again after you'd probably have to use a colour remover like colour oops to take the brown out.

And I've never personally found dish soap to be any more effective than a coconut oil soak and multiple shampoos for fading colour. Just more damaging.

I usually just mix a teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda into shampoo and repeat to fade colour. It's my clarifying recipe also.
    Last edited by pink.sara; February 11th, 2012 at 03:55 AM. Reason: Add comment

Brand New Redhead

Length
    pixie/bsl/waist
    Type
    1c/F/i/ii

I don't have any personal experience with it, but I know a lot of people have used Color Oops with great success in the past - http://www.ulta.com/ulta/browse/prod...sImpprod620020

don't risk.

go out there and just tell the truth : "If I get the job I will dye my hair in a soft natural colour! "

big deal... put yourself in the shous of the employer... if you're too desperate to get the job, it will show... changing your hair for an interview alone is a big mistake-my opinion!

lol, wait. That is IF they really mean what they say there about the hair colour. In most places, this kind of details are not respected at all.

See, the hair issue might not even be a problem.

Wait till you get there and talk the the employer face to face.

Type
    1c/2a/F/i/ii

I kind of agree with Natural Shine. Also, I don't know what it's like where you live, but "Unnatural" red hair as in your photos is a lot more common/mainstream than other unnatural colors (like blue or green etc)

I hope you do get the job, but if not you'd be annoyed you lost your current hair color for nothing (and possibly damaged your hair depending on what removal method you tried)
    If it were me, I'd say that I would be fully prepared to dye my hair back to brown if I got the job.

Length
    pixie/bsl/waist
    Type
    1c/F/i/ii

Respectfully, I have to disagree with Natural Shine.

In this job market you need to go the extra mile. Interviews count. First impressions really count. Your want prospective employers to be able to easily imagine you fitting in and working well in their business.

VitaR86 is clearly passionate about what she does and understands both her own motivations for wanting to work there AND what the employer wants, which is awesome. I think it's a good move to tone down the hair before the interview.

But that's just my 2c.

Length
    ~Chin/BSL/Waist
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

I agree with hototogisu. If you want this job, you cover all your bases to be as desirable for their business as possible, and then maybe later (after you're hired) you could go back to a less subtle/natural color, once you get a feel for the place.

I think brown dye would cover your red as it is (and maybe you'd have some nice red undertones!). Back when I dyed regularly, I always found that clarifying shampoo and baby shampoo faded my hair color the most. Good luck!!