Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else have a scalp that hates winter?

Length
    Chin/APL/BSL
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Default Anyone else have a scalp that hates winter?

For as long as I can remember, any time the weather changes my scalp goes through an adjustment period of a few days where it's dry, tight, and itchy. It also seems to passionately hate the forced air heat in my current apartment. My husband has similar issues - we both have dry, itchy, flaky scalps (not to mention dry, itchy, flaky skin in general). I feel like my skin, head to toe, is trying to crawl right off of my body. Ugh!

I've been alternating CO and S&C to try not to dry out my scalp any further. I've also been trying to do scalp massages (evoo + a drop or two of tea tree oil, although I don't use the tea tree oil all the time), and that seems to help my scalp feel a little better.

Does anyone have any helpful tips or tricks for me? Help me survive this awful forced air heat without killing my poor scalp!!

Length
    10"/18"?/24"
    Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Anyone else have a scalp that hates winter?

Hi there fellow Hoosier! I know what you mean! I had the same issues before this year. I think because I henna my hair, that might help...but I know that might not be something you are interested in. I also oil my scalp at least once a week with castor oil mixed with either coconut oil or grapeseed oil. I have been stretching my washes to only every three or four days too, and that seems to help. I mainly use shampoo bars too, which--for me--seem a lot better for my hair and scalp. If you have any neem oil, or can get any, it is known to help with dry scalp too. Hope that helps!
    "Cherish your vision and your dreams as they are the children of your soul; the blueprints of your ultimate achievements." Napoleon Hill

Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

I feel like I've had dry scalp problems for a long time, so I'll be keeping an eye on this thread!

I tried an overnight heavy scalp oiling with coconut oil the other night and it didn't work for me.

Length
    Chin/APL/BSL
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Oh! Neem oil is a good idea!! There's an Indian grocery store not too far from me, maybe I'll have to hit that up soon!!

I just did a nice scalp massage with some evoo and took a long hot bath. The steam + the evoo have my scalp feeling, well, like a normal scalp. It's a small victory

I'm so glad to see I'm not the only one who deals with this. Anytime I have an itchy scalp my OCD immediately screams "LICE! IT MUST BE LICE!" I always have to talk myself down Knowing that I'm not the only one who has scalp issues helps (almost as much as the oil!).

Length
    shldr/waist/hip
    Type
    3a/3b/M/iii

I also get super dry scalp in the winter! I co wash thoroughly to help exfoliate--I never feel like shampoos give me enough lubrication to really scrub up there. I also like to add equal amounts of brown sugar to my conditioner! It makes it super exfoliation and it smells amazing. It pretty much dissolves in hot water too, so it's nice to use.

I also am getting into oil treatments for the scalp when I DT my hair. Have tried olive oil and liked it, but heard coconut oil was great so I ordered some.

Length
    shldr/waist/hip
    Type
    3a/3b/M/iii

Sorry for this other post, but I also think a gentle shampoo, such as a shampoo bar or a sulfate free one makes sense if you have dry scalp.... If the skin is dry, it needs a gentle cleanser or it will just keep getting stripped of oil and continue to flake. Cutting out shampoo completely doesn't particularly solve the problem though...

Length
    shldr/waist/hip
    Type
    3a/3b/M/iii

Oooh! And anything with tea tree oil is amazing. It's numbing.

Length
    17"/34"/42"
    Type
    1a/F/M/iii

Hmm...I will also be lurking on this thread. I kind of have itchy scalp issues year-round, but especially in winter.
    Tea tree oil is something I've been thinking about trying lately, too..

Length
    shldr/waist/hip
    Type
    3a/3b/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Woods Nymph View Post
    Hmm...I will also be lurking on this thread. I kind of have itchy scalp issues year-round, but especially in winter.
    Tea tree oil is something I've been thinking about trying lately, too..
    It is nice, but I am not sure if it helps with health or just numbs the itch. Anyone have an opinion?

Length
    TBL/TBL/KL
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

Yep. I get dandruff in the winter! And I never get it any other time! What I do is:

Pour undiluted ACV on my scalp
    CO my entire length

And it works!
    Lady Amber, High Priestess of Viva Naturalis, in the order of The Long Haired Knights.
    Using Curly Girl approved haircare... but being utterly neglectful of my curls....
    Longest Length: TBL Current: TBL Goal: Knee Length