Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cassia same henna?

Question Henna alternatives?

hi
    I've been thinking of using Henna on my hair for its great benefits, but after reading all about henna -i have read that if you are not sure you want to henna try Cassia- also i had a previous experience with Henna it turned orange and could hardly remove it ..

my first question is: does Cassia has the same benefits of Henna?

Also, i just couldn't figure out what is Cassia, but as i was googling i found this in wikipidia: " Cassia .. often under the culinary name of "cinnamon""
    is Cassia the same as Cinnamon?!! can i use cinnamon instead of Cassia instead of Henna? if not where can i find this Cassia?

one last thing is that i have been considering black henna which as i have read isn't henna indeed it is indigo!! does this indigo has some or any of the Henna's benefits? i remember reading somewhere that indigo is bad for the hair...

TIA

Type
    3a/M/ii

Default Re: Cassia same henna?

Never tried cassia, but I can tell you this much: it isn't cinnamon. Cassia obovata, which you use in your hair, is in the bean family, and is no relation to Cinnamomum cassia, which is in the laurel family.

There are also two things called "black henna". One is indigo, the other is PPD.
    Pyerre Mehendi Mage in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    My name is Indigo Montoya. You terped my henna. Prepare to dye!
    Pic by Renarok

Length
    15/28/waist
    Type
    1c/F/M/i/ii

You need to read some articles on this site: http://www.hennaforhair.com/

It will answer all of your questions. Especically with regard to "black henna"; as Pierre pointed out, the term can refer to a safe herb (indigo) or a potentially very harmful chemical (PPD). If you buy a "henna" treatment at a beauty supply store, you may be getting something harmful to your hair.
    "The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason" Benjamin Franklin

Length
    Chin/Apl+/Hip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

I use cassia! it is not cinnamon the proper term is cassia obovata meaning neutral henna; although it isn't henna. It has almost the same effects of henna, but without changing you color unless you are a blond or silver hair because it has a slightly yellow property. I tried some from henna sooq and mehandi and personally mehandi is better and cheaper. I mix mien with lots of moisturizing condish and oils because it can be drying like henna
    Starting over current length: APL+.. GOAL: BACK TO HIP

Length
    shld/27.5/fairy
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

Have you been reading through Nightshades excellent article about henna? Or The Henna Thread or even the old Henna Thread in the Archives?
    I think most or even all of the answers to your questions are to be found in one or more of these threads.

A very short, by no means complete, recap:

Cassia is not Henna, Henna is not Cassia.
    Cassia is Cassia Obovata, Henna is Lawsonia Inermis

Cassia is more or less colourless, but can be slightly yellowish.
    Henna is orange/red, period. There are no other Henna colours, and unless your hair is very dark to begin with, Henna application will always result in orange/red hair.

Therefor, Black Henna is an incorrect term (although widely used around the world), as the only colour Henna yields is orange/red.
    Black Henna can mean either two things: Indigo (Indigofera tinctoria), or Chemical dye that contains PPD (highly irritating, even 3rd degree burns are described) to achieve black.
    Indigo is a blueish or greenish black, depending on the startingcolour and the preparation/applying method used.

Cassia Obovata is said to have similar conditioning and strengthening properties as Henna, but so do other herbs.

Please do checkout the articles mentioned!
    HTH
    ~ Regrowing & Growing-out Henna ~ Current Length | 25.4" (May 2012)
    shld | apl | bsl | wst | hip | tb | class | ft
    Lady Aibell of the Silent Song Harp in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Cassia is also known as senna.

Length
    ?/26/30++
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Cassia is one of several plants sold as 'neutral henna' 'blonde henna' or 'golden henna.'

It isn't henna at all, as several people have already mentioned, but outdated laws regarding henna hair dyes in both the EU and USA allow it to be 'grandfathered in' and sold under the name 'henna.'

www.renaissancehenna.com sells cassia as well as henna and other natural hair dyes in the UK and has some great 'before' and 'after' pics. She sent me a free sample of cassia, but I found it to be a lot of hassle for very little result, and didn't really care for the dull yellow color it gave to my hair. However, many people here swear by it.

good luck!
    Feb 2013, solid BSL again but shedding. Wondering if this is really terminal length. Hairtype 1b/2b, F/M, ii

What are the benefits of cassia or henna?
    Are there any drawbacks or negative things?
    I am gonna read some of these links now.

Length
    Hip/Neck/???
    Type
    2c/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by mommy2one05 View Post
    What are the benefits of cassia or henna?
    Are there any drawbacks or negative things?
    I am gonna read some of these links now.
    There can be drawbacks.

A drawback of henna, for some, is that it dyes your hair red rather permanently and often can't even be bleached out. Others of us like that.

Some drawbacks of both henna and cassia are the application process for one. They are both ground up leaves, that you add liquid and mix into a mud consistency. Then you leave it on way longer than Nice n' Easy, with a bag over your head while you look stupid. It can be heavy if you have a lot of hair. And until you get the wrapping thing down to a science, it can drip down your neck. Then there's the rinsing the mud out. Whee!

Also, while they are good at increasing strength and shine of the hair, I would not by any means describe them as moisture treatment. In fact, after all the rinsing and everything, my hair is a little tore up from the floor up for a day or two until I can get enough moisture back in it.
    Battle Wench Arvoreen of the Scything Curls in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

thanks all for the clarification
    one more question i could find
    Cassia Angustifolia
    Cassia Acutifolia
    Cassia Fistula

but not
    Cassia Obovata!

are they all same?

i've read that using "Cassia Angustifolia" with Henna makes the hair black!