Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hair types and the real world.

Length
    20/25/38,WL
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

Default Hair types and the real world.

Now we all know that here at Long hair Community we have a special way (or ways) to type hair. Curly, thickness and strand type. I am wondering, what does the real world think when they look at your hair. I'm not talking technical i'm saying the people you see everyday, what do they see hair as. I know many people think curls=thickness in the real world, this is not always true. They think all straight haired folks have thin hair unless the hair is visibly volumized. Many also think APL of maybe even SL is considered long. We know most of this not to be true. Curlys and straight haireds can have both thick or thin hair and yes, wavy does exist without heatstyling. Tell me what the real worl thinks your hair is like, especially if you know different. For instnace, a person with F hair can also have iii hair (but it may not look it to the average person)Also, what category (i, ii, ii/iii, iii) is considered "thick" to the average person and what is considered "curly" (2 or 3?) or "straight" (1 or maybe even 2?)(many say my hair is curly but its only 2b/2c).
    Meow to all!!! /\_/\ (=O.O=) (#) (#)

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Default Re: Hair types and the real world.

I used to see curly, wavy, or straight, and thick or thin.

Length
    Buzz/hip/class
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

same here curly is curly, straight is straight and wavy is wavy! i dont see how being on LHC can change what you see? or am i reading this wrong??

eta- probably length wise people would see apl as long yet after seeing all the long hairs on here my perceptions have changed. But texture wise my views are still the same!
    Buzz October 2015 to get rid of bendigo and lots of other damage, now Al natural and loving it....where will my journey end? I will tell you when I get there. Lifelong Co washer and LOC method currentl approaching curly hip

Length
    20/25/38,WL
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    same here curly is curly, straight is straight and wavy is wavy! i dont see how being on LHC can change what you see? or am i reading this wrong??

sorry what i mean is that we tend to get more technical on here. I am not trying to ofend anyone, sorry if this is going to i'll just delete the thread....no i am asking if people ever assume your hair is different then it is. Like, someone with type 4 hair that is i looks iii because of the volume, so most people see it and call it thick. Also, because some do not get technical about curls, they call waves curls where on here, they are waves, not curls. Does this make sense?

Length
    BSL/APL/Waist
    Type
    2a/F/ii

People tell me my hair looks thick. And in the past they've said it looked "poofy", that was because I was trying to straighten it when it's wavy, which meant lots of frizz.

My hair however is not thick, it's actually quite fine and there's not a whole lot of it. It's also very wimpy and I have to be careful how I handle it

But if it looks thick to the non-LHC person then I must be doing something right
    Lady Móreadhiel, Whisperer and Guardian to the Creatures of Silence in the Order of the Long Haired Knights.
    pixie-jaw-shoulder-APL-BSL-WAIST!

Length
    20/25/38,WL
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by irishlady View Post
    People tell me my hair looks thick. And in the past they've said it looked "poofy", that was because I was trying to straighten it when it's wavy, which meant lots of frizz.

My hair however is not thick, it's actually quite fine and there's not a whole lot of it. It's also very wimpy and I have to be careful how I handle it

But if it looks thick to the non-LHC person then I must be doing something right
    Thank you, someone gets this thread. Lol yeah, i understand the poofy thing, i get that alot, and i wasnt trying to straighten it. I'm sure your hair is beautiful, it looks it in your avatar.

Length
    shldr/bsl+/:)
    Type
    2c/F/ii

My hairdresser always said my hair looks thick, but feels fine and I have a lot of it!
    Lady Laucamiluiel of the Silken Crown, in the order of
    The Long Haired Knights

Length
    20/25/38,WL
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by moon2dove View Post
    My hairdresser always said my hair looks thick, but feels fine and I have a lot of it!
    I like fine hair because its sooo soft, and thick to boot, awsome!

Type
    2a/F/M/ii

People always assume my hair is thin because it is fairly straight, They also think it's ridiculously long. Both of which I know to be untrue.

One of my bast friends has hair almost as long as mine, with a similar hair type. Everyone thinks it's much thicker than mine, when in fact it is thinner. The difference is, hers is far more damaged and therefore is prone to more frizz.

Easily Enabled
    Length
    24"/~40"/~40"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

I think most people would describe my hairtype as frizzy, since it's not properly wavy or straight, and the strands are fine-ish so it's flyaway and floaty.

I just wish people wouldn't use fine as another word for thin. I remember someone asked me about my hair once, and I said "It's fine-" (about to say "and thick") and she cut me off and said "Your hair isn't thin!" ... Thanks, but if you just let me finish...