Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Clean, organic, vegan S&C

Length
    TBL/TBL/KL
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

Hi everyone,

I'm currently on WO, but just in case it doesn't work, I figured I'd ask now-

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a very clean (as in very few chemicals), pure (as in ingredients that are as natural and as close to their original form as possible/not synthetic ingredients), alcohol free, cone free and vegan? Also, my hair doesn't care for protein much...

My scalp can't stand products that contain harder chemicals, like SLS, parabens, etc. Those are not an option for me. I don't mind spending money on a better S&C, as long as it's good.

I've looked into Phyto (but it contains SLS and some other things I don't like).
    I've tried Live Clean (made me scalp react badly), Prairie Naturals (too much protein), Oneka (very good, very clean and pure, and local- BUT the Conditioner wasn't heavy enough).
    I'm currently looking into the Morrocco Method line- SCRATCH THAT- just read a bunch of bad reviews, also way too expensive.

I have dry hair. It's thick and long. It likes heavy conditioner. I don't use or like shampoo much, but use lots of conditioner. I stretch my washes, which is why I don't mind spending a lot of money on the S & C.

Anyone with any ideas?
    Last edited by Amber_Maiden; January 5th, 2012 at 02:22 PM. Reason: added a bit more info

Length
    12"/23"/36.5"
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Clean, organic, vegan S&C

I believe Desert Essence Organics are vegan. I used their moisturizing S&C and I loved it. Here's the link.
    All their "chemicals" are naturally derived, and it is 'cone free (if you're cone free)
    Hope I got the vegan part right
    ETA: Just checked the back of the bottle. It's 100% Vegan, Wheat and Gluten Free. No Parabens, Sodium Laurel/Laureth Sulfates, Phthalates, Artificial Colors, Silicones, EDTA, Glycol or Petroleum based products.
    Last edited by aisha.christine; January 5th, 2012 at 02:15 PM.
    C'mon, GROW!

ChinShoulderAPLBSL✻Waist✻Hip✻Tailbone

Length
    29/32/40+
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii/iii

Have you looked into Everyday Shea? I just got their set of S&C the other day and they have very few ingredients, none of which raise any red flags for my hair (which also happens to hate protein). I am not sure if they are vegan or not though. They are certified fair trade but that is the only thing I can find. Maybe someone who is a vegan would be able to look at the ingredients and say if they are vegan or not? Sorry, that is just not my area of expertise.

I will say that I got them on vitacost for a good price thanks to the sale they ran/are running on beauty products. I think they were around $14 for each 32 oz bottle. I plan on mixing both of them with both herbs and tea so they will have a long life for me, and therefore should be less of a drag on my wallet.
    But in the meantime I've got it hard - second floor living without a yard
    It may be years until the day - my dreams will match up with my pay

Length
    ?/? MBL/?
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Have you looked at the vegan range from Lush?

Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

I ran into the Beautiful Curls line at Whole Foods a few months ago. It seems to meet all of your requirements, though they don't mention organic specifically. It's fair trade, too. Their website is here http://www.beautifulcurls.com I really liked it on principle, but the leave-in conditioner for wavy hair wasn't quite right for me. Boo.

Edit: Beautiful Curls and Everyday Shea are made by the same company, Alaffia. http://alaffia.com/ I keep wanting to try Everyday Shea, but I balk at buying such a huge bottle.
    Last edited by ouseljay; January 5th, 2012 at 02:31 PM.

Length
    TBL/TBL/KL
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by aisha.christine View Post
    I believe Desert Essence Organics are vegan. I used their moisturizing S&C and I loved it. Here's the link.
    All their "chemicals" are naturally derived, and it is 'cone free (if you're cone free)
    Hope I got the vegan part right
    ETA: Just checked the back of the bottle. It's 100% Vegan, Wheat and Gluten Free. No Parabens, Sodium Laurel/Laureth Sulfates, Phthalates, Artificial Colors, Silicones, EDTA, Glycol or Petroleum based products.
    I actually like the look of it- except for that it includes alcohol!

Quote Originally Posted by AlabasterAlice View Post
    Have you looked into Everyday Shea? I just got their set of S&C the other day and they have very few ingredients, none of which raise any red flags for my hair (which also happens to hate protein). I am not sure if they are vegan or not though. They are certified fair trade but that is the only thing I can find. Maybe someone who is a vegan would be able to look at the ingredients and say if they are vegan or not? Sorry, that is just not my area of expertise.

I will say that I got them on vitacost for a good price thanks to the sale they ran/are running on beauty products. I think they were around $14 for each 32 oz bottle. I plan on mixing both of them with both herbs and tea so they will have a long life for me, and therefore should be less of a drag on my wallet.
    I'll check it out! My hair doesn't really like shea butter, but maybe the shampoo and conditioner would be different.

Quote Originally Posted by fauxyeti View Post
    Have you looked at the vegan range from Lush?
    Contains SLS, and a couple of other things that aren't that great. I have tried it in the past, before I knew about my allergies.

Quote Originally Posted by ouseljay View Post
    I ran into the Beautiful Curls line at Whole Foods a few months ago. It seems to meet all of your requirements, though they don't mention organic specifically. It's fair trade, too. Their website is here http://www.beautifulcurls.com I really liked it on principle, but the leave-in conditioner for wavy hair wasn't quite right for me. Boo.

Edit: Beautiful Curls and Everyday Shea are made by the same company, Alaffia. http://alaffia.com/ I keep wanting to try Everyday Shea, but I balk at buying such a huge bottle.
    I'll check it out as well!
    Lady Amber, High Priestess of Viva Naturalis, in the order of The Long Haired Knights.
    Using Curly Girl approved haircare... but being utterly neglectful of my curls....
    Longest Length: TBL Current: TBL Goal: Knee Length

Length
    1/26.5/28
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/i/ii

My hair hates alcohol too. UNTIL i found out that Cetyl alcohol is a fatty natural derived alcohol and it is much less stripping for my hair. I use the logona bier and honey (and sometimes their caffeine and goji ) shampoo. There is an urtekram rose condish with VERY few ingredients that is wonderful on my ends.
    Lady Itimad al Zarqa, The Naiad of Fresh Mountain Streams, in The Order of Long Haired Knights.

Length
    pixie/bsl/waist
    Type
    2c/3a/F/ii

I was about to suggest Sevi or John Masters Organics ...they both have really high ingredient standards...but they might be too expensive. they also both have shampoo that's free of coco betaine in addition to being SLS free (which makes a difference to my hair.) shampoo can be diluted to last months and months so that probably doesn't matter much....but conditioner price matters a lot.

I think Whole Foods has a lot of choices that aren't too expensive but I haven't tried them all...unfortunately i didn't like the ones I tried so far. I didn't like aubrey organics or everyday shea...it left something waxy on my hair and I didn't like the way my hair felt. Avalon Organics has a relatively inexpensive conditioner that I'm using for CWC at the moment but not as a final conditioner because it's also leaving something waxy on my hair. Gosh...I'm picky!

I keep picking up the less expensive brands hoping I'll like them but then I go back to sevi or John Masters because I like those the best.

Length
    TBL/TBL/KL
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by NaiadOreiad View Post
    My hair hates alcohol too. UNTIL i found out that Cetyl alcohol is a fatty natural derived alcohol and it is much less stripping for my hair. I use the logona bier and honey (and sometimes their caffeine and goji ) shampoo. There is an urtekram rose condish with VERY few ingredients that is wonderful on my ends.
    Looked it up. Not sure if it's as clean as I'd like it to be. Thank you though!
    Lady Amber, High Priestess of Viva Naturalis, in the order of The Long Haired Knights.
    Using Curly Girl approved haircare... but being utterly neglectful of my curls....
    Longest Length: TBL Current: TBL Goal: Knee Length

Slightly Frosted FrozenBritannia's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/TB/45+
    Type
    2a/F/i/ii

Have you looked into shampoo bars at all?
    Lady Britannia of Mergatroyd, Seer of the Dancing Lights, in the order of The Long Haired Knights.