View Poll Results: Do you have F hair with some M? How do you deal with it?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • F with M underneath

9 47.37%
  • F with M on top

5 26.32%
  • F with M on the sides

1 5.26%
  • cheese!

4 21.05%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finies with M hairs - where? how?

Length
    ?/26/30++
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Default Finies with M hairs - where? how?

Hello finies!

One of the hardest things to deal with my hair is the fact that it's baby fine on the crown and much coarser - really M - at the nape. My nape hairs need a lot more moisture, while my crown hairs get very easily weighed down. My fine hair is straighter, while the nape hairs are lots curlier. If I'm not careful, I get a poofy, frizzy bottom layer with a flat, lank layer of hair on top of it.

The best ways I've found to deal with this are extra conditioning, misting, and oiling of my nape hairs, making sure I NEVER condition my crown hairs, trying not to touch/handle my crown hairs.

Right now I'm trying to teach BF (also a finie with M nape hairs) how to deal with his hair, so any extra advice would be helpful!

What do you do for your different hair textures? What works, what doesn't?
    Feb 2013, solid BSL again but shedding. Wondering if this is really terminal length. Hairtype 1b/2b, F/M, ii

Length
    Hip/Neck/???
    Type
    2c/F/ii/iii

Default Re: Finies with M hairs - where? how?

I have the exact opposite, lol. The fine hairs underneath are bouncin and behavin. They curl up good and are never a problem. The canopy is the part that dries out and straightens out and looks blah. In this configuration, obviously I have to moisturize the crap out of the canopy, but it can also be dealt with to a degree by having layers. So that more of the inherently weird canopy hair is gone and more of the underneath hair that I like more shows.

(I'm not trying to disrespect coarser hair or finer hair, just on me, that's what happens.)
    Battle Wench Arvoreen of the Scything Curls in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    21"/32.5"/30-34
    Type
    2a/F/M/i/ii

I have fine hairs around my hairline M everywhere else with a patch of coarse at the crown.
    I find the coarse part is flatter as it is heavier and thicker then the rest of my hair. My right side is somewhere F/M and thinner and flies in the sky more(light), tangles more, etc.
    I just treat my whole head of hair as a M head...and it does alright! I can't really change it really, can i?
    I think if there was a clear markation it would make it easier (like top and bottom are different)
    You know i've read heaps of people have curlier hair underneath, but i think mine is the opposite. I guess unless the change is dramatic (F on top C on bottom, 1a on top 3b on bottomw) it isn't so bad to just ignore it.
    ...Our hairs are just like the rings of a tree, they tell a story of what they have been through
    ...[me]
    old hair journal - pb - Lady Teesha, Minikin of Joy! OZ's where R U?

Length
    BSL/hips/hips
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii/iii

Mine is fine around my hairline especially so that's why I get breakage there if I'm not careful. Every single time I've gone to a salon my hair has broken off there because they don't know how to detangle it. Since I stopped going it's been okay.
    My hair is thicker at my nape and also the underlayer.

Here's what I do: I never condition any hair that's above my ears. It's fine so I need all the volume I can get. I condition the rest of it with cones. I need them to weigh down the poufy bits. Very light oiling on the canopy also seems to help.

“Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.” Calvin and Hobbes

Length
    ?/26/30++
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

interesting responses, thanks!

My nape hair is so curly and coarse (in comparison) that, as it finally grows, it really starts to resemble 'other body hair.' lol. that's probably why I hate the look of updos on me. Come to think of it, it's even *curlier* than those hairs that are supposed to be curly!

If the rest of my head hair were like this, it would probably be OK, as I'd have learned how to deal with coarser, curlier hair.

Definitely never condition above the ears, and that goes for leave-ins, too. Last week I accidentally put my leave-in/oil/aloe mix all over, and boy was I sorry the next day...greaseball!
    Feb 2013, solid BSL again but shedding. Wondering if this is really terminal length. Hairtype 1b/2b, F/M, ii

Length
    32/46/dunno
    Type
    1a/M/iii

I have mostly fine and some medium hairs all around on the top of my head... basically from the ears upward. Then the whole middle is mostly medium but leans towards coarse and then the hairs around the nape of my neck from the ears down gradually become all coarse hairs.

So what I try to do is condition the hairs underneath really well. I have been doing CWC lately, which is helping. I can brush the underneath when wet when I have to but I never do touch anything from the ears up until it's almost or completely dry.

At first, when I realized my hairs are so mixed, it was a pain in the butt to take care of them, but I'm getting used to it with time.

And since I have all 3 types of hairs, I just put M on my hair type, haha. It's the average! I also have hairs along my part that are coarse for the top 6+ inches and then fine on the older part. So I have no clue what is going on at the moment.
    Last edited by flapjack; July 14th, 2008 at 11:35 AM.

Length
    Pixie/knee/???
    Type
    2a/F/i/ii

I don't really have any M or C hairs, or if I do, I don't have many and they tend to conceal themselves pretty well.

I know I found one C hair a few years ago, but I was so baffled by it that I yanked it out. It was so thick I honestly didn't think it was a hair until I had the strand in my hands. Sigh. Live and learn.

Type
    2b/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Riot Crrl View Post
    I have the exact opposite, lol. The fine hairs underneath are bouncin and behavin. They curl up good and are never a problem. The canopy is the part that dries out and straightens out and looks blah. In this configuration, obviously I have to moisturize the crap out of the canopy, but it can also be dealt with to a degree by having layers. So that more of the inherently weird canopy hair is gone and more of the underneath hair that I like more shows.

(I'm not trying to disrespect coarser hair or finer hair, just on me, that's what happens.)
    That sounds exactly like mine! The crown is where the medium and even a few coarse hairs are most likely to be found, while the hairline is really wispy and the underlayer is always where I get the most wave/curl definition and least frizz. My hair also behaves better with layers, and half-ups are also great for hiding canopy frizz while showing off the wurliness underneath and making it look longer.

Herbivore
    Length
    58cm/103cm/tb
    Type
    2b/M/iii

I think I have M hair with a finer (notice, finer, not baby fine) crown, I'm careful when I comb and I treat all the hair the same and deal with poufy underlayer since the top hides it. I condition my hair with a light very moisturizing conditioner (tigi bedhead moisture maniac) and if I want to wear a half up I moisten the underlayer and oil it or use a leave in. My medium hair is the only part of my hair that can handle oil and I seem to forget about it since my crown hair hates oil and goes crunchy, dry and weird. But the medium hair absolutely loves oil.

Length
    Buzz/hip/class
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

My hair is fine say 80% of my hair but I have thicker hairs underneath.

I have just started using tigi moisture manic and I love it, makes my hair really shine and brings the curl really out. However, although i put more from the ears down and leave for 5 minutes, I also put a little between my hands, rub together and spread on the whole of my canapy, not massaging in but smoothing on, my baby hairs behave a lot better this way for me.
    Buzz October 2015 to get rid of bendigo and lots of other damage, now Al natural and loving it....where will my journey end? I will tell you when I get there. Lifelong Co washer and LOC method currentl approaching curly hip