Thread: Mannequin hair help needed

Length
    24"/26"/30"
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii

Default Mannequin hair help needed

So.. I bought a mannequin head with 28" straight "protein fiber hair" (fake) to practice braids and updos. It was originally intended to be a practice mannequin for student hairdressers. Problem is, her hair snarls up if I so much as breathe on it. I tried a coney conditioner, but it's still tangle-prone, only now it looks gunky and smells like cheap artificial fragrance. :/

Does anybody know if there's a good way to make this kind of fake hair behave a little bit more like real hair? Lexi (I know that's her name because it's printed on her neck) could really use a little more slip.
    If I had a prayer, it would be this: "God spare me from the desire for love, approval, and appreciation. Amen." - Byron Katie

Type
    2b/M/iii

Default Re: Mannequin hair help needed

It might be that the mannequin's hair did not mesh well with the coney stuff you put on it. Maybe if you tried a gentle (diluted) bit of shampoo and then rinsed well in cold water, you'd be able to return the hair to its normal condition.

Just guessing and I'll be watching this thread with interest as I just bought a mannequin head to practice on also and am hoping for the best.

Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

fabric softener. It's what I use to restore dolls hair. I've even done my little pony's
    (I work with 0-5years so you can imagine how tangled they get)

But I would test a small amount of the hair first to see how it reacts, I've never had dye run or a weird reaction but I've read that it can happen.

You can soak the mannequin head in the fabric softener or just use it like a conditioner.

This is of course only for FAKE hair!!! I shudder to think of anyone getting the idea they could use it on their own hair.

I use whatever brand is cheapest since I only use it for dolls hair and never wash clothes with fabric softener.

Length
    TBL/TBL/KL
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

I agree, shampoo or fabric softener... It should work.
    Lady Amber, High Priestess of Viva Naturalis, in the order of The Long Haired Knights.
    Using Curly Girl approved haircare... but being utterly neglectful of my curls....
    Longest Length: TBL Current: TBL Goal: Knee Length

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I've actually heard of people using a dryer sheet on their own hair to make the halo lie down. You wet it first.

Have you tried a coney serum like CHI or Biosilk?

Length
    10/28/32
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

I have taken many cutting classes on mannequins. That is definitely the downside of synthetic hair, it will never behave like human hair.

Length
    24"/26"/30"
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii

Ah, I never would have thought to try fabric softener! I'll try some diluted shampoo to wash away the excess conditioner and then give her hair a bath with some fabric softener. Her hair feels a lot like old-fashioned doll hair so hopefully this will help!

Spidermom - I tried an alcohol-based coney finishing spray because they were cheaper than the proper serums, and unfortunately I got what I paid for. I will look for the brands you mentioned the next time I go out.

Thanks to everybody for your help!
    If I had a prayer, it would be this: "God spare me from the desire for love, approval, and appreciation. Amen." - Byron Katie