Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PHOTOS: How curly is this? Also, do you think it LOOKS dry?

Length
    Pixie/BCL/?!
    Type
    3b/3c/M/C/ii

Question PHOTOS: How curly is this? Also, do you think it LOOKS dry?

Hi All.

I'm starting to wonder if I really understand the curly designations and I'm wondering if I'm actually more of a 3a/b. Wanted the thoughts of the forum folks.

Here are a lot of shots of my hair, freshly washed. I did condition, and my conditioner has oil in it. But without that I couldn't even take these pictures, the tangles would be so bad. No leave-ins, though. No manipulation while drying. For work and such, I'd usually spray it down with a little bit of water mixed with olive/castor oil to keep it moisturized for the day and keep the curl tighter than it is here (less frizzies between the curls).

Also, my hair has streaks of lighter brown running through it these days. My hair before was always so dark a brown most people couldn't tell it from black. I'm wondering if this means it's dry. It's not splitting or breaking. I'm a bit nervous because my experiment for a few months has been to not use a leave-in or silicone treatment. Instead I depend more oils, usually hoping the ones I mix into my conditioner deposit just enough to seal the hair. When I get out of the shower I can feel the lightest residue left on my hair.

Note: These pictures were taken in the VERY bright light of my bathroom. There are like 10 bulbs in a 5x8 room!

Please share your thoughts!

Grew out the pixie.
    Acquired a mane.
    Cruising toward Classic.

**For my routine, please see my blog posts.**

Length
    17.5/23/35
    Type
    3a/3b/F/ii

Default Re: PHOTOS: How curly is this? Also, do you think it LOOKS dry?

Hi Curlycap,
    I absolutely love your hair- those are lovely curls! I'm new to this myself and I thought I was a 3a, but you look curlier than me, so now I'm not sure! I don't think your hair looks dry in the last 4 pics, but maybe the lighting (as you said) gives the appearance of dryness in the first 2.
    Anyhow, that was just my two cents, so I guess others who know better will be able to confirm that.

Length
    pixie/bsl/waist
    Type
    1c/F/i/ii

I'm no expert on curly hair, but your hair doesn't look dry at all, IMHO. And your curl pattern is just gorgeous! Have you been in the sun a lot lately? It might have lightened your hair in places.

Length
    SL/APL/WL
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Your hair looks beautiful, not dry at all!

Type
    2c/F/i/ii

Your hair is absolutely gorgeous. Not at all dry! I'd say you're closer to 3c than 3b.
    Curly (or even wurly) hair will always look a bit drier than straight types, such as 1a-1c. Doesn't mean it is actually dry, though.

Length
    chin/mbl/whip
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii

Your hair curls beautifully from root to tip, such a lovely even pattern. Judging from your pics, I would say your hair is 3c. I agree with Lamb on curly hair looking as if its drier when its not, but it's hard to tell from your pics if you do have dry hair.

Length
    Shldr/TBL/Knee

Your hair is lovely!

I've never heard of lighter streaks appearing in hair due to dryness (which doesn't mean it doesn't happen). I suspect, as hototogisu suggested, that the sun is the reason for the streaks (although, now that I think about it, if the sun streaks hair, isn't that a drying process?? I'm thinking it is...). But your curls don't look dry to me. Are the steaks the only reason you suspect your hair is dry? Have there been any other changes in your hair? If not, then I can't say I see any problems. Of course, if you're still concerned, you can always experiment with adding a little more moisture into your routine and then just monitoring the way your hair reacts to it...

As to hair type, your curl pattern is tighter than mine and I class myself as 3a/3b, so I'd have to say you're at least 3b/3c if not just 3c...

Good Luck!

Type
    2c/F/i/ii

RE: streaks of lighter colour, I have them too, without any damage. Always have had them. Some people just have natural highlights/lowlights.
    Besides, curls cause the hair to reflect light differently all over your head, which results in "streaks" like the ones you mentioned.

Length
    chin/waist/clssc
    Type
    3a/3b/C/ii/iii

lovely curls!

Insta: @giftedcursed

I think your hair looks beautiful and not at all dry. You have awesome curls.