Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feeling torn... length or health or color? HELP!

Length
    1/26.5/28
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/i/ii

Unhappy Feeling torn... length or health or color? HELP!

So for the past two years I was hennaing and I loved it, until i got bit by the natural color bug. I have about 2.5 solid inches of virgin growth at my roots and I love my natural color already. Unfortunately below this natural growth I have about 5 inches of hair that is dark from henna over my virgin color and the last 3-4 inches are henna over chemical dyes and a particularly awful highlighting session.

So my hair color effect looks like this

Natural dark blonette
    Deep henna Red
    Firey (and fryey) copper ends

The coppery bit at the ends is splitting and breaking off, slowing my progress. I S&D every day and never fail to find more damage. This is heartbreaking for me. I did not have this problem when I was still using henna, as it made my fine hair much stronger, thicker, and resistant to damage. Also when I was using henna, I washed my hair only with ghassoul and ACV. Since stopping henna I am using Logona Beer and Honey volume shampoo. I got it from the organic store but it still has a few ingredients I don't approve of. I think this may be weakening my hair as well.

I can't use henna because I want virgin hair, and I can't use ghassoul because without henna, ghassoul shreds my hair.

My precious ends seem pretty from a distance but up close they are so sad!! I really want to make waist by my birthday in May and currently I am only 4 inches away.

I went a couple weeks ago for a 1cm trim (my frist trim in 6 months) and a dusting at an aveda salon and they did a great job. I kind of want to hold on to the length I have, but the color and damage are sooo annoying.

Aveda has a line of deposit only color, should I do a new color on my ends? Or just chop off an inch ?

Also has anyone tried aveda color over henna?

Thanks LHC for your time!
    Lady Itimad al Zarqa, The Naiad of Fresh Mountain Streams, in The Order of Long Haired Knights.

busy beegan ~ ( , ) ~ Annibelle's Avatar
    Length
    WL/APL/HL
    Type
    2b/F/ii

Default Re: Feeling torn... length or health or color? HELP!

I can't give you much advice, but if you're looking for the strengthening benefits of henna, cassia might be a good alternative for you. It doesn't solve the color issue, and depending on your exact natural shade, it might alter it, but maybe you could check that out?

Length
    1/26.5/28
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/i/ii

I am worried about cassia adding yellow tones. I am een avoiding tea rinses becasue I want to see my virgin hair bits as virgin as humanly possible. Thanks though!
    Lady Itimad al Zarqa, The Naiad of Fresh Mountain Streams, in The Order of Long Haired Knights.

Length
    chin/APL/MBL
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

This is what I'd do in your place : go for a nice trim...and cut off all the breaking ends, everything that was chemically treated...Then just pamper your hair, s&d and you'll get the lenght back in no time. I had awful thin ends, but couldn't get myself to cut them. Then one day I just took the scissors, and cut almost an inch, then repeted in a month. My hair became thicker, and looks alot healthier. Oh, and I'm back where I was before the trims, and just 3 months had passed. I say go for it. Healthy hair can get you a long way in less time.

Type
    2a/C/iii

Can't you just henna the ends?
    "The reward for conformity is that everybody likes you except yourself" - Rita Mae Brown

Length
    1/26.5/28
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/i/ii

Its so scary to imagine cutting off all the chemically treated stuff! That would set me back to APL! I will consider it though.... thanks for the advice.

Length
    1/26.5/28
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Toadstool View Post
    Can't you just henna the ends?

Yeah i could try that...normally I have my neighbor do the hennaing. i wonder if she could manage to do that without getting it everywhere else? Henna is so.... spready.

busy beegan ~ ( , ) ~ Annibelle's Avatar
    Length
    WL/APL/HL
    Type
    2b/F/ii

If your ends are breaking, you may want to cut to APL, anyway... you don't wanna end up like me, with four inches of scraggly ends! Mine wasn't from breakage, but it looks like it because the ends are so thin and I wouldn't cut. I ended up cutting two inches, but I've still got two inches of scraggle to go. It's soooo much easier said than done, though, right?

Length
    TBL/TBL/KL
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

I'd trim, just a little bit. I'd also not worry much about the colour, just grow it out, trimming to the length you want as you do so. Within 10 years it'll all be gone.. or even less.
    Lady Amber, High Priestess of Viva Naturalis, in the order of The Long Haired Knights.
    Using Curly Girl approved haircare... but being utterly neglectful of my curls....
    Longest Length: TBL Current: TBL Goal: Knee Length

Length
    BSL/BSL/nfnty
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

Why don't you just henna the dyed tips? That's what I do.

If you don't trust your neighbor, you can do it yourself... just make sure you have gloves, then take a chunk of your hair and lift it away from your scalp so you can see the end, rub henna in the end, and wrap it with plastic wrap.
    Last edited by coffinhert; November 8th, 2011 at 07:20 AM.