Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is olive oil good for dry hair?

Length
    shoul/s/apl/mbl
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

Question Is olive oil good for dry hair?

Is olive oil good for dry hair?
    I have been having a lot of trouble with my hair being dry. I haven't been able to find a good moisturizing conditioner that I don't react to. I have a lot of allergies. My hair does not like aloe or honey. It feels very dry and coated after I use it. I recently tried avocado but I think it was way too much protein for my hair. I was kind of crunchy for a few days. My hair doesn't seem to like coconut oil. It just kind of sits on my hair. So I was wondering if overnight oiling with olive oil might help.
    Any advice is much appreciated! =)

Length
    chin/APL:)/waist
    Type
    3c/4a/F/ii/iii

Default Re: Is olive oil good for ry hair?

It really helped my hair, but I always put it on damp hair. I also didn't wash it out for a couple days.

Length
    0''/25''/40''
    Type
    2a/F/ii

I like olive oil, but I only oil the ends, because they're the only dry parts of my hair. I do not oil scalp, because makes my hair fall out.
    My hair feels crunchy with almost any oil, specially almond oil.
    Olive is the one who works best with me, but it might not be the solution for you. i think each hair type has it's demands and they differ so much.

Sorry if I did not help much.

I do love olive oil for hair. I work warm olive oil into slightly damp hair, cover with a shower cap and let it sit for an hour or two. I wash it out with shampoo and follow with conditioner. Sometimes I am left a little greasy if I don't get it all out, but I always end up with soft hair. Give it a try!

Length
    Pixie/BCL/?!
    Type
    3b/3c/M/C/ii

I have the same problem! Allergies can be harsh on hair care routines, no?

What I did was buy an all natural conditioner (took a lot of tries, PM if you want to hear about the brand I like best so far) because for some reason the lack of detergents and harsh emulsifiers really helped me.

Then I split my conditioner 50:50 with olive oil. Not only was it a convenient way to add olive oil to my routine every night, but it really makes the all natural conditioners more affordable since they are stretched so much.

The mixture is used just like conditioner. I co-wash every night and only shampoo about once a week.

The olive oil has been tons better for my hair than just conditioner. And something about applying it to sopping wet hair is much better for me than just applying it to damp or dry hair. I noticed in your member blurb that you have straight hair, so maybe less olive oil might do better for you.

Hope you find something that helps!

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I had benefit from olive oil, but I don't like the scent very much. I do like the scent and the benefit of coconut oil, so I stick with that.

Olive oil is worth a try. If you don't like it in your hair, you can always cook with it.

Length
    SL/BSL/BSL
    Type
    3a/F/i/ii

I have a sensitive scalp, so I put olive oil on my scalp before shampooing (with a gentle shampoo) to "protect" my scalp. I also put a drop on my scalp (after washing) if I'm blowdrying my hair.

During the day I like to put some on the ends if they're feeling dry, a drop at a time (rarely more than one drop in total), and some elsewhere if it's frizzy. I do prefer olive oil to coconut oil, although it's easy to overdo (I have done so quite a few times... :S ). Oh and I apply it to dry hair, because then I can tell where the dry parts of my hair are.

Type
    2b/M/iii

I don't use olive oil for dryness but I notice my monthly EVOO treatment leaves my hair in a wonderful state and makes it much easier to braid.

I only use a little...less than 1/4th of a cup, and put it on completely dry hair and let it sit overnight, then shampoo it out the next day.

Length
    shoul/s/apl/mbl
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

Default Re: Is olive oil good for dry hair?

Thank you for all the replies. I washed my hair this morning so I think I'll go ahead a do an overnight olive oiling. Sounds like it's worth a shot!

Length
    11/18/30
    Type
    1b/1c/C/iii

Default Re: Is olive oil good for dry hair?

Good luck.