Page 1 of 37 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: prejudice for men with long hair

Length
    Buzz/hip/class
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

Default prejudice for men with long hair

My husband is growing his hair, only to shoulder but he is getting discouraged by comments such as' do you want a ribbon for your hair pretty boy!' or ' will you get your hair cut!'

Its all said in jest and I just tell him to ignore them, which he has up to now. But today he says he is going to get the back cut as its curling, there really nice future Tomm curls too, so I am trying my hardest to keep his spirits up and continue to grow. His hair is only half way down his neck but he is getting there.

I really feel for men growing their hair and never realized the stick they have to put up with just for wanting to grow their hair, I just don't understand i love long hair on men.

So how do the guys on here or indeed the partners of long haired men cope with negative comments.

TIA
    Buzz October 2015 to get rid of bendigo and lots of other damage, now Al natural and loving it....where will my journey end? I will tell you when I get there. Lifelong Co washer and LOC method currentl approaching curly hip

Length
    27/32-33/35'
    Type
    1b/1c/M/iii

Default Re: prejudice for men with long hair

It's funny, I prefer short hair on men, but I'd never object to a man's choice to grow his hair long. I've often wondered how men handle people razzing them about having long hair? I mean, if it's well kept, why should it matter?

This is a great question--I'm curious to read the answers.

Length
    --/36/term
    Type
    2a/C/ii

I've barely ever been razzed for growing my hair. The overwhelming majority of comments that I receive are positive. It's likely that he's getting more comments because nobody has adjusted to seeing him with longer hair? I don't have many other theories.
    \/\/
    \/\/

Length
    32/46/dunno
    Type
    1a/M/iii

I don't have a preference for short or long hair on men. Whatever looks best with the shape of their face and if it's long, they should try to refrain from letting it look like a bird's nest (some guys just don't care at all but with long hair, you do have to care a little bit or you don't look presentable in public, imo).

So to me, it just doesn't matter. But I will admit that if there is a good-looking guy with long, nice hair walking by, I'll take extra notice over an equally good-looking guy next to him with short hair because I'm a nerd about hair, anyway. I'd be willing to date either one, sure... but the guy with the long hair will get extra glances, hahahaha.

As far as prejudice in public, yes, a lot of men with long hair around the world still deal with negative stereotypes and attitudes towards their hair. Many of the men in my family have long hair and they could tell you all kinds of stories. The men I know just ignore it or say something to embarrass the person. My dad straight up tells people "My hair is better than most women's... now, don't be jealous" and it's pretty hilarious. As with anything else in life that people feel the need to make an issue when it's silly... if you just make them feel like an idiot, they'll usually be quiet about it.

Type
    2a/C/iii

This is a regular topic on the men's long hair hyperboard. The best advice is to ignore negative comments.

I received negative comments only a few times when I was much younger and starting to grow my hair. I haven't received any negative comments in recent years. I suspect this is because people tend not to question the wisdom of an older man, especially one who obviously has had long hair for a very long time.
    Ed
    If there's something strange with your long hair / Who you gonna call? / L-H-C! (sung to the tune of Ghostbusters)

Length
    <2"/~clsc/uhh..
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

I think it depends on the locale and the individuals therein on how reactions are. Sometimes nobody says anything. I'd have to say that happens more often than not. I get the occasional "How long have you been growing?" and "Are you going to cut it?" First answer is "A while" and second is "Yes." When I hear the "How short?" I usually say "A half inch shorter."

If I get snark, depending on the situation, sometimes I give a little snark back. I had a teenage boy walk up and say "You know girls have long hair." I looked at him and said "You know women wear pants." and he shut his mouth. Showed him the absurdity of his remark.

Really I tend to brush things off. People are well enough entitled to their own opinion and unless they really push it to the point where it's just too much then why not just walk away? Wherever I've worked I've never really had any hassle from people either, but that could also be luck, too.

I like my hair, luckily my SO likes my hair. I think I'm good to go!

ETA: Also like Gylfi said usually if I ended up getting comments they'd align more to the positive than anything else.
    Last edited by Gumball; July 3rd, 2008 at 07:29 PM.

Length
    1"/3.25"/30"
    Type
    3c/4a/F/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Gumball View Post
    I had a teenage boy walk up and say "You know girls have long hair." I looked at him and said "You know women wear pants." and he shut his mouth. Showed him the absurdity of his remark.
    That was a great comeback.

Length
    17.25/35/37
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

What is wrong with people that they feel the need to share unsolicited criticism? I think "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything." would be a fine rule for everyone to live by. I am so fond of long hair on men; I don't want other people creating any obstacles to their growing it. Beards, either.
    bfg

You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.
    --Jack London

The only reactions/comments that I have received so far are from 4-5 year old boys who seem to be "freaked-out" about my long hair.

It's therapy time, kiddies.

Length
    shldr/class/dunno
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

We don't seem to have much here. My boyfriend has BSL length hair and I have tons of male coworkers with hair between shoulderblades and Classic.
    Lady Nêssa of the Fair-Feathered Flight in the Order of the Long Haired Knights