Thread: Why is my hair so porous?

Default Why is my hair so porous?

I think my hair is very porous, it takes about 10 minutes (when I clarify my hair and don't use any cones on it that is) to completely dry and it is APL wavy hair. I think this is unusual because I see most people on LHC talking about why their hair takes so long to dry... hence I think my hair loses moisture easily = porous?

I'm just wondering why it's so porous, is it merely genetics? I've been heat styling my hair for years and have maybe box dyed my hair 3-4 times in my whole life, with months/years gap in between dyeing.

I have just henna'd my hair for the first time yesterday and it made my hair very dry and did not change the colour too much (I have black hair).

I was wondering if anyone knew why my hair is so porous and are there any ways to decrease/improve hair porosity? Thank you!

≈ωаѵєs оŋ τнє оcєаŋ≈ xoxophelia's Avatar
    Length
    26"/35"/waist
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Why is my hair so porous?

Your hair might dry so quickly because you are F/i. My healthier hair does take longer to dry but overall my dry time has to do with thickness and heavy strands I think. My hair isn't overly nonporous and can take 4-8 hours depending on the temperature.

Ways to improve how porous your hair is: stop heat styling, using dyes or perms, use medium to cool temperature water, avoid excess sun exposure to the hair.

~~embracing nature's waves~~
    instagram: monophonatic

Length
    Bsl/41"/Knee
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/iii

heat styling for sure! are you still doing that now? my best tip for you to grow hair is to stop heat styling, the moment i quitted that my hair started to grow and after 3 months being in a transition period it became to look better natural than styled.. good luck!
    BCL right now w a thick hemline. Aiming for classic this year

Took an arrow in the knee Alaia's Avatar
    Length
    APL/~TB/Knee!
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by SheeJee View Post
    I've been heat styling my hair for years
    That's a bingo!

TBH though, your hair might not be so porous, it's usually to do with your hair type as well as how damaged it is.
    Lady Aineldiel of the Three-Fated Path in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    BSL - Waist - Hip - BCL - TB - Classic - Fingertip - Knee!

Type
    2a/F/ii

I agree with the others saying it's your hair type. I have fine/medium hair, I think it's about a ii as well. It goes to my almost to my waist and it only takes about an hour, tops, to dry (if I leave it down). I don't think my hair is particularly porous because I always air dry and only heat style like maybe 3 times a year. I also give it a rinse of cold water at the end of every shower to close the cuticles. But yeah, if your hair is on the finer side that's probably why and I wouldn't worry about it too much.