Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Has changing your diet changed your hair?

Length
    20/25.5/Waist
    Type
    3a/3b/M/C/ii

Default Has changing your diet changed your hair?

Have any of you seen a significant change to your hair, whether it be faster growth, change of texture, health etc or anything else by changing your diet?

My hair has always been coarse and dry and prone to frizz. I am trying to lose weight and am reading a diet book which advises you to cut out cows milk and wheat/gluten. I haven't managed the wheat bit so far (I don't eat much wheat anyway) but I have switched my milk to soy/rice milk and the psoriasis patches on my elbows and knees are clearing up quickly. It made me wonder what effects changing ones diet can have on ones hair type, if it can have such a significant effect on ones skin, so I thought I would ask this question.

is a daily washer :D nobeltonya's Avatar
    Length
    10"/36.5"/48"
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/ii/iii

Default Re: Has changing your diet changed your hair?

My hair seems to be much healthier, stronger, shinier, etc.. since I stopped eating fast food and started on Indian food [rice, bread, veggies, lean meats, lentils, etc]. It also helped that I learned to care for it correctly, but food made a huge difference. I also gained like 10-15 lbs after meeting my husband and starting on healthy food.

I have been considering cutting up to waist lately :O It is currently just above TB, b/c I keep trimming it...
    2a/b / M/C / ii. Low porosity.

Length
    APL/Hip +/TBL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

Yes for me totally. Let me explain i used to eat junk food and hardly ate any protein so its no surprise i couldn't get my hair past shoulder, once i started eating much better my hair has grown so much i also take a daily multi vitamin.
    APL 2010 BSL JUL 2010 WSL 2011 HIP 2013 Going for Tailbone December 2017

Technicolour Pug Lover pink.sara's Avatar
    Length
    42/26/36
    Type
    1a/1b/F/iii

I think my diet has stopped my hair growing

I was diagnosed as coeliac last year and am also intolerant to dairy products but it's only been the past 4-5 months I have actually completely cut them out of my diet. And unless I use Monistat my hair is growing less than 1cm every 6 weeks
    I think my hair and nails miss the dairy fats and calcium so will be adding suplements as soon as I can afford some decent ones. I have noticed my hair is less oily since I cut out these things though.

Brand New Redhead

Length
    10/LTL/ankle
    Type
    1c/C/iii

I am a vegetarian, I havent noticed a difference from when I was a carnivore.
    1c/~C~iii

Length
    22"/32"/50"
    Type
    1b/F/M/iii

Yes, when I eat a healthy diet I get one inch of growth a month, and when I am too busy to cook and rely on my husband and take-out food, it slows to 3/4 or even 1/2. Food is huge. On a good diet my hair seems thicker too, not so fine, and I have fewer sheds.
    Guardian Julia of the Rock, Shaman of Animism in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    14"/21"/28"
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by longhairedlady View Post
    I am a vegetarian, I havent noticed a difference from when I was a carnivore.
    Ditto! So much for the protein myth....I've been seeing sheen, volume, and growth like never before since cutting out animal protein and going instead for lentils, soy, and greens.

Length
    14ish/39/term.
    Type
    2a/F/M/i/ii

I'm an undiagnosed celiac, with other food allergies (such as soy, and sensitivities to some fruit.) after cutting out the gluten and soy from my diet my hair started growing faster, and it wasn't as nasty looking (could also be from not using chemicals.) also living more naturally.

Length
    22"/32"/50"
    Type
    1b/F/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by buttercupmcgee View Post
    Ditto! So much for the protein myth....I've been seeing sheen, volume, and growth like never before since cutting out animal protein and going instead for lentils, soy, and greens.
    How is protein a myth? Vegetarians can get plenty of protein in their diets, it's very easy.
    Guardian Julia of the Rock, Shaman of Animism in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Slightly Frosted FrozenBritannia's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/TB/45+
    Type
    2a/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Ava666 View Post
    I'm an undiagnosed celiac, with other food allergies (such as soy, and sensitivities to some fruit.) after cutting out the gluten and soy from my diet my hair started growing faster, and it wasn't as nasty looking (could also be from not using chemicals.) also living more naturally.

That would be me too..

I was on a vegan diet for a year and my hair and skin was wonderful, too.