Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When you're seperated from your hair arsenal.

Length
    Bob/Bob/???
    Type
    1c/M/ii

Default When you're seperated from your hair arsenal.

I’m currently “stuck” somewhere without my arsenal of hair care products. I don’t know what the h*ll I was thinking because I knew I was going to be at my location during a wash day. Don’t know, maybe I thought it wouldn’t hurt to stretch for another day.

Well, it wasn’t going to hurt until my ends started to dry out, which is a signal that I need to CO. Since I didn’t have any of my CO gear with me I thought I’d just hold over and deep treat that night. But, I didn’t have any coconut oil. No problem, I was cooking and had some EVOO. Coconut oil always soaks all the way into my hair no matter how much I use, but oh no, this EVOO would not go in. So I woke up, not to my glorious coconut hair, but to –this—stringy hair. The oil obviously hadn’t soaked in an awful lot. It smelled bad. My hair was just--stuck--to my face.

No problem. I thought I would just run over to our campus minimart since they have Sauve, and I could CO with that. It was more than past time to wash and I could get the rest of this EVOO out. *facepalm* IT’S LABOR DAY. No campus mini mart.

Finally, in a moment of desperation I used my DBF’s 2-in-1 Head and Shoulders mumbo jumbo. Full of sulfates and cones in one horrific step, stuff my head has never been particularly fond of.

So—much—of this foaming nonsense. I didn’t even know what to do with this stuff. I mean, it’s shampoo so I’m thinking, “on my scalp only” but then I’m like, “But, It’s also cone-y conditioner! So, my ends too!.” Gah, I have to put the shampoo on my ends to get the conditioner part and it has to be on my roots to get the shampoo part. Awful! Then there was this business, “How long do I leave it on? Because, it's conditioner, right? So, for a few minutes? But, it’s shampoo, so rinse it off now!

God, what an awful experience.

So, final verdict? The olive oil is out of my hair. That’s good. My hair isn’t ruined or anything dramatic sounding. It’s still very soft and ridiculously shiny, but it’s strangely dry. It’s a little flat, a frizz bomb, and my waves are nowhere to be seen. Basically, I sure wouldn't want to use that product again or I imagine my symptoms would get wose.

Have you ever been in a situation where you were separated from your normal products and really needed them? What did you do?
    Last edited by Mairéad; September 5th, 2011 at 03:52 PM.
    Well, that's one year down since pixie. I have been knighted as 'turbo grower.'

Length
    FLIP/APL/CLA
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Default Re: When you're seperated from your hair arsenal.

Ugh, this is me at the BF's house. Which means slowly I have started amassing duplicates of all my "good stuff" over at his place. Sigh!
    Lady Vanlanthiriel of the Cascading Waterfalls in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!
    2b/ M / ii - started castor oil blend Aug 1, 2011
    Current: APL l Goal: Waist

Length
    Bob/Bob/???
    Type
    1c/M/ii

I have everything but hair stuff at my DBF's. I have stuff for my face, a pair of pajamas, and my own toothbrush. I think next time I'm going to bring over the almost empty bottles to have while I'm here and start the new ones at my own place.

Men and their 2-in-1 and their even more awful 3-in-1s. If they made a shave, wash, shampoo that was also a toothpaste they'd buy it.

Length
    bsl/elbow/n/a
    Type
    1c/F/ii

My hair isn't particularly fussy. In your situation I would have ignored the dry ends, done a water only style wash (so plenty of finger pad scrubbing, like with a CO wash, but no product used), and then combed my hair out as best as I could after. It wouldn't have looked fabulous, but my hair pretty much never looks great short. When I have short hair, I usually have a side comb or two stashed in my purse for dealing with the evil of bangs, and that would have solved most of the ick.

Dry ends don't mean a lot. Yeah, you don't want to encourage them... but between pixie and waist... they're gonna happen.

The other easy solution is makeup. I've got a round face, kind of bee stung lips, pale skin and dark hair... I look like I walked right out of a '20s silent film. Just like a '20s film star looks natural in red lipstick... same here. Most of us will have a good feature that is nice to highlight. Maybe it's big eyes or nice brows or a fantastic smile, the what doesn't particularly matter. Work with your best feature and highlight it. Other people pretty much never notice our flaws and imperfections as much as we do. They *do* notice tho when we make an effort to emphasize a strong point.

Length
    FLIP/APL/CLA
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Oh tell me about it! I am not using Axe to shower with, sorry! And yes I have started bringing sample sizes off all my skin and hair care over there, I just filled up a little bottle with some Argan oil. Hell I bought a flat iron yesterday that came with a bonus 1/2 inch mini one - it is SO cute and it's totally living at the BF's house
    Lady Vanlanthiriel of the Cascading Waterfalls in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!
    2b/ M / ii - started castor oil blend Aug 1, 2011
    Current: APL l Goal: Waist

Type
    2b/M/C/iii

I rearm myself. I was in Montreal for 10 days, and ended up going on a shopping expedition for CO-compatible conditioner. And then for the following 3 days that I was camping up north I just did WO in the very soft lake water. I've actually stretched my CO-washing for 12 days now, and I'm too tired to properly wash my hair today, so I'll be throwing it up in a bun for work tomorrow, and washing it when I get home.

I travel with a set of three ounce bottles, two small half ounce jars, and one one ounce bottle.
    For a weeks trip the little jars are filled with coconut oil, the three ounces have conditioner in them, except for one with a premixed SMT, and the one ounce bottle has a jojoba/argan oil mix. If I was going on a long trip, I'd pack a straight bottle of conditioner and use a three ounce bottle a week for SMT's. The oils generally last much longer than the trip, especially if I'm at a place where I'm not spending my days at the pool

Length
    18/37/???
    Type
    2c/3a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Mairéad View Post
    I have everything but hair stuff at my DBF's. I have stuff for my face, a pair of pajamas, and my own toothbrush. I think next time I'm going to bring over the almost empty bottles to have while I'm here and start the new ones at my own place.

Men and their 2-in-1 and their even more awful 3-in-1s. If they made a shave, wash, shampoo that was also a toothpaste they'd buy it.
    Oh, but they do:

http://www.drbronner.com/DBMS/OLPE08...LiquidSoap.htm

You can also wash your dishes, laundry, and car. My brothers love this stuff!

Length
    Bob/Bob/???
    Type
    1c/M/ii

Haha, I've tried Dr. Bronner's for many things. I'm the opposite. I thought it was pretty horrible for most things.

Length
    chin/apl+/elbow
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Mairéad View Post
    What on earth is a 3-in-1?