Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hair flicks out on one side only

Length
    Shldr/APL/Waist
    Type
    1c/M/ii

Default Hair flicks out on one side only

My hair is frustrating! I have shoulder length layered hair with a side parting, and it has a slight wave in it. The problem is that it flicks out on one side and on the other it curves inwards a bit, which makes it look uneven.

I used to blow dry or straighten my hair a lot to make it fall more evenly, but I've been trying to avoid using heat. Recently I've just put clips in it or tied it up, but I don't like to have to do that all the time.

Does anyone else have this problem? Or could please give me some tips? I want to either encourage more waves into my hair so it doesn't stick out on one side, or get the flicking out bit to curve inwards, without using heat.
    Shoulder ~ APL ~ BSL ~ Waist!

Length
    pixie/APL/???
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

Default Re: Hair flicks out on one side only

My hair isn't at shoulder length just yet, but every time it's been that length before, I had exactly the same problem. It even happened when I was a little kid with baby-fine, totally straight hair. Last winter I had shoulder-length hair and was CO washing, which encouraged more waves. Something in your washing method could be adjusted to do that.

There are also people who have success with plopping wet hair in a t-shirt to sort of scrunch up the waves as the hair dries, but I've personally only tried that once. Still other people wrap their hair to straighten it, and I know there's at least one thread on it around here. I tried to find it for you, but the search function is acting up for me.
    ~* Official Renegrey *~* shimmerglisten *~
    "Hair is a little bit of artwork that we all carry around with us." - Brian Eno

Length
    APL/Clsc/Clsc
    Type
    1b/F/ii

My hair did just the same when it was at that length. Extremely annoying, and there was nothing I could do about it. One side would just fall into place, the other would ... not.
    Lady Northern Lights, Keeper of the Gates of Dawn in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    Pixie/bsl/waist
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

I had that problem with my hair when it was about ear length. I blow dried and round brushed it everyday to try to even it out, but it still flipped out on one side and curved in on the other. Part of the problem was the awkward length, but part was my attempts to straighten the waves. This just kind of stretched them out into "L" shaped cowlicks rather than symmetrical "S" shaped waves. I don't know if this will work for your waves, but one thing I have belatedly discovered that helps the unevenness is to encourage wave formation by "plopping" and air drying (my hair is too short for this, so I kind of "scrunch" my hair up with my hands) and using plenty of conditioner and leave ins to keep my waves defined. My hair is much wavier now, but does not have the cowlicky, flipping straight out problem. Now, instead of being uneven, my waves just curl in different directions on either side of my head, but still look even overall. Best of luck with this! I know how annoying this problem can be. My one sided hair flip is forever immortalized in my driver's license picture, so I will have a hard time forgetting it

Length
    APL/WL/Knee
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii

I asked a stylist about this one time and they said it was because of the growth pattern of the hair, usually circle..
    APL // BSL// WL / HL // BCL // TBL // CL // FTL // MTL // KL
    Participating in: No trimming 2024

Length
    1"/21"/TBL
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/i/ii

This happens to me also, whether I blow dry or air dry it. I guess we've just got to wait it out until our hair gets heavier and therefore straighter

Length
    ~Calf/Pixie/?
    Type
    1b/F/ii

This is one of the main reasons that I have long hair. I could never be bothered with the daily straightening/curling that would be required to disguise that. At longer lengths, the weight of the hair mostly removes the problem and, in any case, it is no where near so obvious when your hemline is not up around your face.

Friend of the Semicolon florenonite's Avatar
    Length
    SL/MBL/Hip
    Type
    2a/F/iii

My hair does this when it's short. My solution was to grow it

When it was short, I found it tended to flick inward on the side of my parting and outward on the other side. I was growing out a fringe at the time, so I often clipped the fringe back on my non-parting side and this helped. Other than that, I wore my hair up.
    Lady Nehalennia of the Mirrored-Seas in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights

SL / APL / SBL / MBL / WL / HIP / BCL / TB

Length
    APL/APL/WST31
    Type
    1b/M/ii

This is happening to me as well. I have stopped the straightening because of the breakage on my left side. Now an inch shorter than the right. So here i am with that same weird growth pattern with the layers too. I am waiting for that day when my hair just "changes". That day will come soon ... As for now i am still just putting it up, but I would rather leave it down. Sorry you are stuck with the same problem.

Length
    1.5/32.5/Term
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii/iii

Do you always wear it in a bun wrapped the same direction? If o, wrapping it the other way might help. You could always just braid the hair on the sides of your face. Maybe you should try a side part though. It is better to adjust your style to your hair than your hair to your style. With a side part, it wouldn't look unusual to have your hair flipping one direction. I hope this helps.