Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! My hair is so dry!!

Length
    23"/Waist/Waist
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/ii/iii

Default Help! My hair is so dry!!

Dearest ladies of the long hair, I am in need of your expertise again! My hair is horribly dry, and I can't seem to fix it. I have tried SMT's, coconut oil (this seems to actually make it worse for some reason- has anyone else had this issue?), rich moisturizers and protein treatments. I am running out of ideas. I am growing out previous heat styling/colouring damage and the ends of my hair are definitely not in good shape. I trim a bit every month and also s&d the split ends. Even with all of the extra care, my hair just feels awful, mainly toward the ends and bottom half. My scalp has a tendency to get oily.

My hair is quite thick, and it only ever feels smooth and silky if I heat style it, which I have been avoiding as much as possible for the past few months.

I'm not sure if I need more protein or more moisture, although I am assuming it is the latter. When I do a strand breakage test, my hair stretches and then falls back into shape, unless I pull very hard, in which case it stretches and then breaks. Does this mean anything to the experts out there?

Does anyone have some suggestions for me? I am getting so frustrated! I really miss the nice, healthy hair I had a year ago, before all of this damage.

Also, is there any possibility that the coconut oil is making things worse?

Thank you!
    Last edited by Irish Fae; January 27th, 2012 at 04:25 PM.

Length
    23/39/40
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii

Default Re: Help! My hair is so dry!!

Have you tried clarifying before doing the moisture treatments?
    "But the back seat of the drive-in is so lonely without you"

Length
    APL/Clsc/Clsc
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Have you tried clarifying? When my hair desperately needs clarifying (I try not to let it get to that point) it feels rather peculiar, oddly sticky, or waxy at the roots, and the ends dry and extremely tangle prone!
    Lady Northern Lights, Keeper of the Gates of Dawn in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    APL19/WSL28/HIP32
    Type
    3c/4a/C/iii

It sounds like you need to clarify. Whenever oils make my hair really crunchy and dry, that's what it means. I usually just do a really diluted baking soda rinse and that works fine. Some people use a clarifying shampoo, it's up to do. But I would say clarify and then do something moisturizing.

Oh! Another thing it might be is something you're using that your hair hates. I was using the SheaMoisture line and it made my hair feel bad. But I only realized that after clarifying and enjoying how soft my hair was and then putting that on my hair, and my hair turning back to a rock.

CURRENTLY: waist straight (28") GOAL: waist braidwaves (35")

Length
    23"/Waist/Waist
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/ii/iii

Oh, I never would have thought to clarify! I was afraid that would make my hair worse. What do you recommend for clarifying? I would like to try something natural if possible.

Thank you so much!

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I second fourth clarifying.

I really prefer a clarifying shampoo. Suave Daily Clarifying is pretty good, but in a pinch any transparent shampoo with sulfates does pretty well. Some people like to use dissolved baking soda instead, or mix baking soda into their shampoo. That'll work, but it seems harsher for most people and tends to leave hair feeling pretty nasty.

So get your shampoo, and wash root to tip with plenty of it, full-strength. You might be wise to repeat the process even. Then condition the heck out of it, because clarifying can be quite drying, but it's necessary if you've got buildup blocking your hair from absorbing moisture.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    ??/32/??
    Type
    2a/2b/C/ii

Since the coconut hasn't been too helpful, you might try EVOO and honey or SMT again to condition it. I'd avoid protein for a bit as it can be drying. Really, once you clarify the good stuff will be probably be able to soak in and do its thing.

Type
    1b/1c/F/iii

If you still find your hair dry after clarifying, and I was in the same boat, my hair ADORES Emu oil and Lanolin mixed. 3 drops Emu one Lanolin, starting at the ends and using a BB brush to work it through.

My hair sucks it right up!

I get the EO @ The Vitamin Shoppe, Lanolin, from sheared wool, @ the Health food store.

Ferine

Length
    S/L/A/P/L/H/L
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/ii

Oh, I'm so glad I found this thread! I was definitely having the same issue! I also hadn't thought of clarifying. I will be sure to try this out in the morning and hopefully this will be my solution!

Length
    shldr/tlbn/fgrtp
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

Olive oil mixed with shea butter works very well for my ends. When my hair is particularly dry I use lekair hair cholesterol instead of regular conditioner. It's pretty cheap and not that natural so you might not like that, but it works well.
    Even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like day. Search me, God, and know my heart...And lead me in the way everlasting. -Psalm 139