Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to rehabilitate after professional updo?

Length
    short/28/30+
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

Default How to rehabilitate after professional updo?

Help Please!!

I had my hair done professionally on Saturday morning for a wedding. It's the woman who normally does my trims, she knows all the rules. I went there with air-dried hair and she used low heat settings and did not tease it. It looked great. Then she applied a lot of something called "Superego Molding gum" and pinned part of it up.

Well.... last night, I took it down and tried to comb/brush it out before going to sleep. I was in tears. Though I was gentle, I lost a wad of hair twice the size of what I normally pick up with the swiffer after a whole week. There were mats like what a dog gets on its ears and my scalp hurts. It's so stiff and dry and frizzing and awful.

So I slept with it in a bun and have not taken it down or touched it since. I am afraid.

I want to wash it before I go to bed tonight, but what should I do? Should I be gentle and do CO or SMT (or SMT as CO?) or just use heavy clarifying shampoo and deal with being dry and frizzy for the week and get it over with? I'm not sure and I'm soooo upset!!

Also other than SMT and heavy oiling does anybody have any rehabilitation ideas?

Length
    Nape/Waist/Waist
    Type
    3a/M/ii/iii

Oh no! Well, from my experience, brushing was your mistake!!!

Jump in the shower, soak your hair, and unload a ton of conditioner on your hair. Do some heavy duty COing, that should dissolve all the gunk, then you can gently detangle while your hair is all goopy with condish.

You'll be fine, just NEVER EVER brush out a salon style dry again.

Length
    -/-/waist/long
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/ii/iii

I would tend to clarify and follow with SMT for several hours or overnight. You could add a small bit of sheabutter in your SMT. Hth.

Account Closed by Member Request

Oh my, that is not a good product for your hair from the description!

I would take a bath, or a warm/hot shower to loosen and make the "putty" softer.

I would try to use some conditioner as soon as it's soft to loosen it a little better and leave it on for a couple/ few hours.

Then rinse in warm water, if it isn't softening/ coming out, I would do the process again untill you see results.

That's the only thing I can personally think of, I hope you get some relief. Please keep us updated.

ETA: I was doing something else while I was responding, and I see Manderly had the same advice! I wasn't copying, it just seems that "great minds think alike"

Length
    BSL/49/Term
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Gentle shampoo, then condition loads. Gently detangle while soaked in conditioner with a wide toothed comb, starting at the ends and gradually working upwards. In my younger days when I went in for more elaborate updos requiring lots of hairspray and stuff, this is how I detangled after the night was over and I did not lose lots of hair. Good luck!
    <a href=http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=13465&dateline=1215389522 target=_blank>http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...ine=1215389522</a>Desperately seeking thickness!

Length
    19"/43"/40"
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Default Mermaid soak!

I'd mermaid soak with about half a bottle of shampoo in the tub as a "bubble bath and pour in conditioner too.

Just leat it soak out. Let the water out and wash as normal.

I'd use VO5 Kiwi & Lime Squeeze for the first step. Probaby half a bottle of the condish and half a bottle of the shampoo too. (P.S. this will get you nice and clean too)

The tub will be slick, so make sure you throw in a hand towel to stand on when you stand up.
    [/URL]

BeyondClassic Webmistress Cinnamon Hair's Avatar
    Type
    1c/M/ii/iii

Eww. The first rule of using hairspray or gel. Don't attempt to comb afterward! Anytime I've had my hair styled I waited until showering to comb. A shampoo is probably going to be necessary; just do the scalp and let it run down the length when you rinse. Then condition with something coney and everything should be fine.

Length
    Hip/Neck/???
    Type
    2c/F/ii/iii

Superego Molding Gum ingredients:

Water, Petrolatum, Bis-Diglyceryl Polyacyladiplate-2, VP/VA Copolymer Mineral Oil/Paraffin Liquidium/Huile Minerale, Copernica Cerifera Wax/Cera Carnauba/Cire De Carnauba, PVP, Cetearyl Alcohol, PEG-40, Castor Oil, Ceteareth-25, Propylene Glycol, Polysilicone-9, Sorbitol, Bambusa Vulgaris Extract, DMDM Hydantoin, Fragrance
    I think it's gonna take some shampoo to get that out. Just deep condition afterwards.
    Battle Wench Arvoreen of the Scything Curls in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    bob/bob/WST
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/iii

Oh my gosh, the mermaid soak sounds like a wonderful idea! I hate you had to go through that. Next time come here FIRST!

Combing only when wet with CO, Suave conditioner, AG Re:Coil, LA Looks sports gel, EVOO and coconut oil

Length
    19"/43"/40"
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Default DD remembers now.

The mermaid soak with a bottle of VO5 and half a bottle of condish . . . even worked on some sort of molding mud stuff that DD(15 at the time) put in her head at a friend's house. They were copying something from a magazine with the mom's (cosmetologist) help.

It loosened everything up enough that her hair came loose and floated. Then we did a CO with her usual conditioner (Milk and honey back then)

(I had forgotten this incident, this happened after I first Joined LHC and it was the recommendation someone gave me there--I think it was maybe Curlsgirl, but honestly I don't exactly remember, was it you?)

She says I used a whole bottle of VO5 SKR shampoo and half a bottle of VO5 Conditioner.

DD remembers very clearly because she couldn't even stick a comb in her hair and was scared her hair was just going to come loose like a Japanese wig. When she put water on it, it just beaded up.
    [/URL]