Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My mom said.....

Default My mom said.....

she thought very long hair was ugly today.

We were sitting in the car waiting to pick my younger brother up, and I noticed a girl with beautiful hip length hair, that looked like a natural red colour. I said to her "Wow, mom, isn't her hair gorgeous?"

Her reaction was "No! It's so ugly. I hate it."

The thing is she knows I'm growing mine to tailbone length, so I wonder what she thinks of that? Oh well, I don't really mind because I will love my hair and that's all that matters. I just thought it was interesting to share.

Do your parents/relatives hate very long hair openly?

Length
    BSL/Hip!?/HIP
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Default Re: My mom said.....

I think a lot of people say things like that out of jealousy.

Length
    19"/22"/30"
    Type
    2a/C/iii

My parents dislike hair that doesn't look done. They are among the many people who think that 'good hair' is smooth, straight and shiny. My natural texture isn't that at all, so I grew up with them always trying to get my hair to look good. They also insisted I keep it at chin length (triangle much?) Neither of them are fans of long hair, if only since they can't imagine maintaining it themselves.

This week they saw my hair over Skype, first time since I moved to Japan. They thought it looked a wreck, needed to be straightened clearly.

They may never understand but someday they will accept (maybe even like) that I'm finally getting along with my hair instead of fighting it.

Length
    Waist/BSL/???
    Type
    1c/2a/C/ii

My mom rather dislikes long hair and even when she sees thick, shiny, healthy long hair she just does not appreciate it the way I do. She knows that I am determined to grow it out and although she likes it short she is not opposed to growing long hair. My parents have always let me wear my hair however I want so they are used to it by now .
    There are two types of people in the world; those who play to win and those who play not to lose.

Length
    SL/Knee+/Knee+
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

I’m not sure what my parents think of long hair as they have never said. I know my Mum likes trimming it shorter then I want. Back when I use to colour my hair, my Dad would often say something negative about it. He also hates it straightened. When it comes to things like doing unnatural things to hair, putting on makeup and getting tattoos and piercing, he believes that if we were meant to have it, we would be born with it. I remember once when I was a little kid, I saw two little girls who looked like sisters with beautiful long hair. I said something to my Mum about how nice it looks and she looked at me with a disgusted look on her face and said it’s all full of split ends.

Length
    ?/50/50
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/iii

I don't know what my parents think about long hair. I think maybe my mom likes it, but she has never said.
    I know what my grandma's opinion is about my hair. She says it's beautiful, but she hates when it's let down and keeps telling me I should cut it to shoulder length. According to her taking care of long hair is difficult and tiring. Really? I haven't noticed...
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=4250&attachmentid=1969

Length
    SL+/MBL/Hip
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

My Mom thinks my obsession with long hair is absolutely adorable and is thrilled of all things I could be fixated on I chose something so full of self care. She loves I quit the dye also. My Dad on the other hand thinks APL, maybe BSL is the longest a woman's hair should be, and would probably think hip length was "ugly" though he'd never use that language. That said, my parents both support me in whatever I do, even if it isn't their personal preference, which is so so so nice.

Type
    2a/C/iii

She may just have disliked that particular girl's long hair, not everyone's.
    I don't know anyone in real life who likes very long hair, only people on this forum.
    "The reward for conformity is that everybody likes you except yourself" - Rita Mae Brown

Length
    14"/25"/waist
    Type
    2c/M/C/ii

I think everyone finds certain styles "ugly" (though I think I would have phrased it better). My OH doesn't like very long hair because he says its childish (not bothered I'm still growing it long). I dismay at pretty much all my female friends who have turned 30 and have very cropped hair which I think has aged them (they don't care because they like it and enjoy their monthly trips to the salon - my opinion is not relevant) Its just a preference and not to be taken personally because one person will say they don't like women with very long hair the next person will be "wow your hair is amazing."

BTW I was proudly showing my mum how much my hair had grown and she said "but its got no style now, I prefered it when you went to the hairdressers". So I know how you feel, I think lots of us secretly want our mothers approval but its important for our self esteem to do our own thing.

Length
    27/40/57
    Type
    2b/M/C/i/ii

Wow, this thread is making me sad . It's a shame our loved ones can't all be supportive of our self expression. At the same time, I have to say I feel blessed my parents and relatives have always been supportive of me wanting to grow. My grandmother was a long-haired also. They always told me never to cut it short, lol. I guess things like this is all the more reason to find our support here with each other. Don't let 'em get to you .
    Waist - Hip - TBL - Classic - FTL (current) - Knee - Beyond...
    Last measure: August 13, 2016 - 40"