Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: supplements vs shampoos

Length
    15/25/35
    Type
    1c/M/ii/iii

Default supplements vs shampoos

okay, first off I have wavy to very loosely curly hair. am wanting to grow my hair. I had very thick hair, not so long, until I had kidz. and it still won't stop falling out, lol. so now I'm considering supplements for my hair or special shampoos or whatever to help it out. any ideas?

oh, also, I have used dr. miracles and while it works great - its just too greasy and my hair is already greasyprone.

so, any ideas?

Default Re: supplements vs shampoos

I've heard that prenatal vitamins and Biotin work very well for growing nails so they might work for hair as well. I don't think any shampoo would help though. Have you consulted a doctor? Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than I will reply soon. Good luck!

Length
    pixie/bob/apl
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii/iii

havent used it myself but a lot of people on this forum say castor oil is good to gain thickness. and i use daktarin which helps with length for a lot of people
    http://myhairgrowthjournal.tumblr.com/
    Growing out a pixie since August 2010

Easily Enabled
    Length
    24"/~40"/~40"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

Post-partum sheds are common, but if it's been a long while and it's still going, please see a doctor. It might be indicative of something more serious. (Hopefully not - but it's good to check these things out. )

Extraordinary Wordsmith WaitingSoLong's Avatar
    Length
    MTL/BSL/none
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

MTG and monistat are the first things to come to mind. MTG is a horse topical application, not only is it greasy but it smells like bacon. LOL. Works, but not really worth the mess IMO. The key ingredient is sulfur and I know it can be bought in powdered form and mixed in with poo or condiotioner but I have never bought/tried it. Monistat has a whole following here on LHC. I also found it greasy because I was too poor to afford the name brand stuff which does not use mineral oil. Nothing I have ever tried has increased my growth but....

I will give a thumbs up to castor oil as I use it on my lashes and brows and it seems to be very effective. I won't use it on my hair except in wash-out treatments because of the grease factor. I was using it as a scalp rub but it was just too messy for me.

As for shampoos, well, if any part of the problem is fungal, shampoos can help.

Welcome to LHC and I hope your shedding stops, soon, but hormones can longer for quite some time postpartum.

~WSL~My YouTube tutorials with Classic+ Hair
    FTL in 2013. Back to waist/virgin 2014. Virgin thigh 2018. Cut back to waist July 2018

Length
    27 in/37 in/40*
    Type
    2b/F/M/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingSoLong View Post
    MTG and monistat are the first things to come to mind. MTG is a horse topical application, not only is it greasy but it smells like bacon. LOL. Works, but not really worth the mess IMO. The key ingredient is sulfur and I know it can be bought in powdered form and mixed in with poo or condiotioner but I have never bought/tried it. Monistat has a whole following here on LHC. I also found it greasy because I was too poor to afford the name brand stuff which does not use mineral oil. Nothing I have ever tried has increased my growth but....

I will give a thumbs up to castor oil as I use it on my lashes and brows and it seems to be very effective. I won't use it on my hair except in wash-out treatments because of the grease factor. I was using it as a scalp rub but it was just too messy for me.

As for shampoos, well, if any part of the problem is fungal, shampoos can help.

Welcome to LHC and I hope your shedding stops, soon, but hormones can longer for quite some time postpartum.

Does the castor oil help grow the lashes and brows or does is just conditon them?

Length
    15/25/35
    Type
    1c/M/ii/iii

okay, thanx. just last night I tried for the first time conditioner-wash-conditioner. it looks a bit nicer to day. will have to see how that goes. okay, maybe I'll check out more vitamins then.

Length
    20"/23"/28"
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Welcome! If you have a healthy diet you shouldn't need supplements, unless prescribed by your doctor for a specific medical condition. Nutrients work synergistically and in opposition - supplementing one or a small group can do more harm than good. Do you meet or exceed your government's recommendations for healthy eating?
    Dyed-in-the-wool redhead, growing out a major shed & mechanical damage to hairline. Eight years 'modified' Curly Girl, just past BSL stretched but keep trimming.

Length
    15/25/35
    Type
    1c/M/ii/iii

No, diet is something that I'm working on. but because of my health issues, I can't eat all foods that have all the healthy stuff in it because I really should stay away from high sugar fruits & veggies, etc.

so, yes, i do need some supplements. but not too many because then I'll get sick.

Length
    20"/23"/28"
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Brenna View Post
    No, diet is something that I'm working on. but because of my health issues, I can't eat all foods that have all the healthy stuff in it because I really should stay away from high sugar fruits & veggies, etc.

so, yes, i do need some supplements. but not too many because then I'll get sick.
    I would be happy to make some suggestions if you would like to let me know what your health issue is (I do nutrition consults IRL). If you are diabetic/ PCOS or similar are you familiar with the glycaemic index?
    Last edited by Firefox7275; May 14th, 2011 at 03:29 AM.
    Dyed-in-the-wool redhead, growing out a major shed & mechanical damage to hairline. Eight years 'modified' Curly Girl, just past BSL stretched but keep trimming.