Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I've been thinking about getting a "Takamakura"

Length
    16.5/22/26
    Type
    3a/F/ii/iii

Default I've been thinking about getting a "Takamakura"

A takamakura is a special kind of pillow that geisha use while they sleep on their necks while their hair is in mid air not touching anything.

According to Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geisha "Geisha sleep with their necks on small supports (takamakura), instead of pillows, so they could keep their hairstyle perfect. To reinforce this habit, their mentors would pour rice around the base of the support. If the geisha's head rolled off the support while she slept, rice would stick to the pomade in her hair. Even if there are no accidents, a maiko will need her hair styled every week. Many modern geisha use wigs in their professional lives, while maiko use their natural hair. Either must be regularly tended by highly skilled artisans. Traditional hairstyling is a slowly dying art. Over time, the hairstyle can cause balding on the top of the head."

So I've been thinking about buying/making one to baby my hair even more, I have really fragile hair that is already damaged very bad, I think it would be good for my hair to keep it away from rubbing on my pillow every night. I wear my hair in a closed off bun every night, but I still feel like I'm damaging it every night. Maybe I'm taking this too far. But if I find one for cheap, I'll try it and see if I can tolerate it. Or I would love making myself a really nice one, I'm crafty like that, (for me) it looks easy to make

Length
    18/18/30?
    Type
    2c/M/C/iii

Default Re: I've been thinking about getting a "Takamakura"

I'm not sure but I think they're full of buckwheat hulls. If they are, expect that it will be putting more pressure on a smaller area than you are probably used to. Also buckwheat hulls are rather noisy although they do a good job of keeping you cool.

I have shoulder problems and I toss and turn a lot so I have a soba gara makura (buckwheat hull pillow) that I use so I speak from experience.

Again, I have no idea what they're filled with for sure. I had one of those round neck pillows filled with hulls so if it's similar you might have slight pressure pain if you sleep on your ear.

Length
    17.5"/APL/APL
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

It may not work on soft surfaces - if you've noticed, the takamakura are on tatami mats or on the floors. It may not work on a regular bed with a soft surface

Length
    Short/BS/CL

You must think if it will cause your spine to suffer? It doesn't look very comfortable.

Length
    Chin/??/Waist
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

I agree with Cocoa Crema, I would definitely do some research to see if it could cause back problems first . . .

I wonder why the geisha hairstyling caused baldness on the top of the head!

It grew while I wasn't paying attention...how sneaky.

Length
    .05/25.5/45
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii/iii

Why not try and make a satin pillowcase first?

But if you really want to try go for it! I would think it would put a lot of pressure around you neck, might build up tension, etc.

Length
    20"/23"/28"
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Are you a heavy sleeper? If not you will probably end up with broken sleep for a while, which is stressful to the body. And stress is not good for hair.
    Dyed-in-the-wool redhead, growing out a major shed & mechanical damage to hairline. Eight years 'modified' Curly Girl, just past BSL stretched but keep trimming.

Length
    3"/3.5"/34"
    Type
    2a/F/M/i/ii

Oh gosh...that looks...super uncomfortable, not to mention not very ergonomic!

Have you tried a satin pillowcase or a satin cap or something for your hair? I think this would be more comfy and easier in the long run!

I need to nuzzle my face into my pillow to sleep though, so maybe if you're a solid back sleeper something like this wouldn't be so bad!
    Starting over short and working towards virgin hair!

Length
    21"/30"/30"
    Type
    2a/F/ii

The one time I slept with my head in that kind of position, I was unable to move for the next two days. Any movement at all caused horrible, crippling spasms in my neck.

I think a silk or satin pillowcase would be better. Any hair-health reward you'd get from a takamakura probably wouldn't be worth the work of laying on it. Plus I can't imagine it would be that stable on a bed, unless you started sleeping on the floor?

Length
    16.5/22/26
    Type
    3a/F/ii/iii

Yeah perhaps this is too extreme, I KNOW, I can make a thick satin cylinder pillow where some of my hair is away from the pillow without sacrificing comfort. Thanks for the input and ideas everyone. None the less, this is a nice and interesting piece of hair history