Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I´m so tired with all this damage

Default I´m so tired with all this damage

Ok, so I´m now tired. I have taken good care with my hair for about two years. I have tried everything. I condition with moisturizer, reconstructer, use leave-ins, oils and co. I use clarifying shampoo once in a month.

My hair is quite good shape, it´s soft and shiny, but I have splits all over it. I cant understand why. I use protective updo´s, I never sleep with my hair loose. I cover it with hats when it´s cold or warm.

I used s&d, but it doesen´t help, splits are all over, up and down in my hair. If I want them gone, I would have to cut my hair to my elbows.

You can see my frustration? I use good conditioners and shampoos, nothing helps. I´ve sit hours with deep conditioners, twice at week, and that doesen´t make any difference.

My hair is curly and dry but I cant understand why it doesen´t respond my good care. I´m so frustrated. I´ve tried everything and now I´m with scissors and think that I cut all this worries away. My hair is now mid-back lenght.

I´m so desperate, all I wanted was long, healthy hair and I just can´t get it. Never.

Length
    13/40/???
    Type
    2b/M/C/iii

Default Re: I´m so tired with all this damage

Well you almost described my hair except for the curly. I could s&d for 8 hours straight and still find more splits. Yet my hair is past tailbone and almost to clasic. Just becuase you have splits doesn't mean you can't have the long hair you want...

I've learned to ignore the splits for the most part and just keep the lenght as healthy as I can. This has given me nice, soft, shiny hair.
    Lady Allemrac of the Many-Thorned Cloak in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!
    Growing and loving every minute of it!

Have you tried catnip tea soaks? I still get some breakage from my damaged ends, but splits have been greatly reduced.

Length
    14.6/31.1/34.6
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

Some people just get a lot of splits, and they can still have long and beautiful hair. Almost everyone has something about their hair that feels like a deal-breaker for long hair, but almost everyone can also work around that. I, for example, have a lot of tangles, but i have learnt to just ignore it and detangle carefully at nigh, then its not a problem. Its annoying, it causes damage, but it is nothing that is going to stop me from growing it to classic.

I suggest you just ignore it and go on with your regular routine. Sooner or later you will come to terms with it and it wont be so awful.
    Shoulder -> APL -> BSL -> MBL -> Waist -> Hip -> TB

logic is your friend

Length
    22"/36"/40"
    Type
    3a/M/ii

Maybe the hats are causing this?
    Don't know, just an idea....

Length
    ~23/33/33
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

I definitely agree that sometimes hair, particularly long hair, just splits. It doesn't mean that overall it's unhealthy or damaged, and it can be long and beautiful despite splits. I think most of us on the forum are this way (including myself), and we just have to do the best we can, as you have done very well, and realize this is just part of having long hair.

Length
    22/MidBk/knee
    Type
    1a/1b/C/ii

If your hair looks good when you're not closely examining every little end, and it feels nice when you run your fingers through it (i.e. not crunchy, dry, etc), splits are not something to panic over. We all have split ends, and good amounts of them at the longer lengths, and I promise you right now they are not the end of your long hair world. Keep babying your hair, and if the ends start to look icky, even from afar, then it's trim time. So take it easy, and don't panic.
    "If it does not inevitably impact the quality and happiness of your life, you should not let it, more power to you" - Z. Z. Regina

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I have the splitty hair type, too. I find that it does much better when I have regular small trims (about 1/2 inch off every 3 months). I've tried on 2 separate occasions to grow for an entire year with nothing but S&D, and I had so many split ends at the end of each year that I cut away pretty much my entire year of growth because of the tangles/knots. On me, damage travels upward and spreads (because of the difficult in untangling it).

have you tried protein treatments?
    im sorry that you're having all this damage i hope you find a way to make it go away

Length
    Chin/APL+/Waist
    Type
    1b/F/M/iii

You could try switching care methods - like herbs, wo, so, bs, and co. I also agree with MoonlightShadow with the protein. Did you try trimming of some length? I know it sounds bad but it helps sometimes. How do you wear your hair up? Tight or loose? Elastics or Hair sticks?Some people actually find more split ends from keeping their hair up all the time. If your hair gets caught in things it can cause some everyday damage. You could try stretching your washings and air-drying. If you swim often it could be the saltwater/chlorine, and if your out in the sun all day it could be slightly burned. I also think curly hair shouldn't be brushed from what I've heard- but detangled in the shower. I also think that long would probaly have split ends all over naturally, but that doesn't mean your hair is damaged. If you oil your hair it might give it some "slip" so it won't tangle as often. Wearing your hat less often if it's a little tight or isn't lined with satin on the inside might help. Catnip soaks are recommended. What kind of hair type is it? Your info says it's not coarse, so you might be over-conditioning. You might also be interested in the link below.

I hope you'll find something that works for you

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...e&articleid=44

*Edit: Oops, I re-read your post and saw that your hair is actually just fine, but it's your split ends bothering. Sorry I didn't notice that in the first place. Silly me
    Last edited by Jcv-Shelley; April 3rd, 2011 at 10:20 AM.