Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fishtail/ herringbone braid

Length
    APL/NA/NA
    Type
    1a/F/M/i/ii

Question fishtail/ herringbone braid

Okay, is it just me or are these kind of time consumming? Then again, maybe I'm just slow and/or inexperienced....

I really love the look of them but, man are they tough to master!

Anyone have any pointers that may help?
    "Keep rosemary by your garden gate. Plant Lavender, for luck. And fall in love whenever you can."
    -Alice Hoffman "Practical Magic"

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    26?/Waist/Hip?
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii

I think you're right, they do seem to be a little more time consuming than other braids. With the herringbone I always find that I need to take 10-30 sec. breaks otherwise I get really sloppy. I don't really have any great advice other than just take your time and practice. Hopefully others will be a little more helpful!

Length
    ?/26/30++
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

yes, they are time consuming but so worth it! Mine stay in longer and make my hair look thicker.
    I don't know if I could take a break; I have to braid pretty snug or risk losing everything.
    Feb 2013, solid BSL again but shedding. Wondering if this is really terminal length. Hairtype 1b/2b, F/M, ii

Length
    3/31.5/36
    Type
    1a/1b/M/iii

I think another thing to factor in is how big the sections you're crossing over are. The first few times I did a herringbone, I did tiny little sections and it took forever to finish. It looked very intricate and feathery, but it also was a pain to unbraid. If you do nice big pieces, it goes a lot faster but you get a look similar to a regular 3-strand english braid.

I'm still practicing them too. My biggest mistake is not using all the hair and ending up with a bunch of flat hair on the backside, if that makes any sense. You have to be sure to get the outermost edge each time. Plus, it's also A LOT easier if you tie it off at the top before you start, though I personally don't like that look so much.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

This braid, which was taught to me as "snake" braid, is a bit on the time-consuming side for me as well. I like mine a bit messy-looking with uneven sections.

Friend of the Semicolon florenonite's Avatar
    Length
    SL/MBL/Hip
    Type
    2a/F/iii

The one in my avatar took me five, ten minutes to do (though my hair's quite short), but you may notice that the sections are reasonably large.
    Lady Nehalennia of the Mirrored-Seas in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights

SL / APL / SBL / MBL / WL / HIP / BCL / TB

Length
    APL/NA/NA
    Type
    1a/F/M/i/ii

Thanks Ladies I'm going to continue to practice. My other problem is that when I get towards the bottom, I want to pull the braid over my shoulder and braid from the front (by then my arms are very tired, lol). But, the braid gets lopsidded...practic, I need more practice!

Quote Originally Posted by Katze View Post
    yes, they are time consuming but so worth it! Mine stay in longer and make my hair look thicker.
    I don't know if I could take a break; I have to braid pretty snug or risk losing everything.
    I noticed this and REALLY like that little bonus!!
    "Keep rosemary by your garden gate. Plant Lavender, for luck. And fall in love whenever you can."
    -Alice Hoffman "Practical Magic"

Length
    <2"/~clsc/uhh..
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

I've found yeah, they take a little longer, but they look really nifty so sometimes it really does pay off. I know I need a little more practice doing them. I guess I never really thought about it making hair look thicker but it's so true.

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    26?/Waist/Hip?
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii

Have you tried doing a full herringbone, where it starts at the top like a French or Dutch braid? I really like how they look and it might give some extra practice.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I rarely try to bring a braid over one shoulder to finish. I usually bend forward, with the braid hanging toward the floor, and finish that way. If I'm tired, I sit down before I bend forward. If you try this, pay close attention to where you are and what you're doing as you bend forward because your movements will be inverted. (example: you were crossing sections at the front of the braid, but while leaning toward the floor you will be crossing sections at the back of the braid)