Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: - What's really that bad with cones ?

Length
    20/23,6/35,4
    Type
    2c/M/C/iii

Default - What's really that bad with cones ?

- I have been CO-washing for years now, accidentally with cone free vegan conditioner and recently decided to try some with cones, especially now that I've bleached my hair and want to make it happier .

Most people, are anti-cone, but I know there are Some cone-heads out there, what is really that bad about it ?

Do you need to clarify often ?
    I've never clarified my hair ever, one of those things I've sort of seen mentioned here but never read much about .

Only used the cone-full conditioner once, which was today, but I want to continue, makes my hair feel all slippery and nice ^^
    Also it has wild rose oil in it, mm !
    Freegan - Polyamorous - Ex-Squatter

- Sorry I'm late . - That's okay, time doesn't exist .

Resident metalhead RavennaNight's Avatar
    Length
    bob/35/Term
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii/iii

Default Re: - What's really that bad with cones ?

The only drawback of cones is they can build up on the hair, and require an occasional clarifying with an SLS shampoo. Otherwise, I like them myself, as they allow me to have the detangling and slip I need to wear my hair down!

Length
    21/25.5/Hip
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

I really like them. People say they build up and can trap moisture out of the hair. I try not to use one with hundreds of cones in but I don't feel any harm using one with a few in.

Length
    Jaw/n/a/Hip?
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/i

I used a coney product recently. My hair felt lovely that night and the following day as it still had hairspray it in. It was lovely when I next washed it but on day two my waves just fell out. My hair looked mostly straight but bushy. The same thing happened the next time I washed it. Really bad for me as I love my day two waves. I also had to use SLS shampoo to get the cones out which wrecks my scalp.
    Hanging out around BSL and just going with the flow.

Length
    hip/hip/hurra
    Type
    1a/M/ii

I used cones my entire life, and never clarified, and my hair has always been just fine. It's really down to the individual's hair, I think. I continue to use a variety of 'coney products and I'm perfectly happy with them (^(oo)^)v

At one point I did undertake a no-cone experiment. BIG pigtastrophe. I went back to 'cones and all was well.

I'm pretty sure buildup isn't usually a problem unless you're on a CO type of routine, or if you're avoiding sulfates or something out of the ordinary like that. If you're just shampooing & conditioning the way the manufacturer directs, there's no reason to expect buildup problems.
    I'm a little piggy! (^(oo)^)v

Easily Enabled
    Length
    24"/~40"/~40"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

Silicone can seal moisture in or out of the hair, which on hair that tends towards fine strands, can dry them out to the point of splitting. It can also weigh hair down a lot, and cause it look a lot straighter than it is. If they build-up, they can make ends feel "crunchy." Unless you use water-soluble 'cones (normally prefixed with PEG), you have to use sulphate shampoo to remove them, which for some people is just too harsh.

For me, I do best with a 'cone-free sulphate-y shampoo and a 'cone-free condish, and then just a little bit of 'cone-y leave-in afterwards to help with detangling. It gives me the slip but none of the dryness issues. I don't mind losing a bit of wave since I have braidwaves 99% of the time anyway, and I've been using sulphates since going back to hard water.

If it's not broken...

Length
    3 in./BSL/TLB
    Type
    3a/3b/F/ii

I agree with luxepiggy that it's really up to the individual's hair.

I've always used cones and have had minimal success using cone free products.
    I think I've only had buildup from cones 1 or 2 times and that was from using a treatment that had a cone as the first ingredient + other ingredients after that + I used it a couple of times in a row without washing in between. Even then, it came out easily with a light shampoo.

I've had much worse buildup using natural products - glycerin, protein, oils, and shea butter all buildup on my hair and make it horrible. It can get sticky, gummy, rough on the ends, and dry. It takes weeks to get it back to normal when that happens. But with cones one light shampoo and it's gone.

Do whatever works for your hair.
    Not everybody's hair likes the no cones, no sulfates, oil, berries, and twigs routine. lol

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Sometimes people find themselves using a shampoo with cones, followed by a conditioner with cones, followed by a leave-in with cones, and too much of a good thing is a bad thing. A small amount of a coney product helps me with tangles, too much and my hair knots up.

I like to use cone-free shampoo and conditioner, then I add cones right where they do me the most good - over the canopy and the bottom 1/2 of length.

Length
    25 in/33 in/4ever
    Type
    2c/3a/M/i/ii

I've most always used cone-everything and never had a buildup problem from it. Trying to go cone free makes me look like a scarecrow. My hair gets so dried out, crunchy, and straw-like. So...as with anything, it depends!

Account Closed by Member Request

I have a bottle of aveeno conditioner that has a ton of dimethicone in it, I use it for severe detangling emercgencies.

but other than that, I avoid silicone products because I don't have to use them to get pretty hair, and the non silicone products I use are the cheapest ones in the hair care aisle. Why pay more for no improvement in result?