Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What am I gonna do with all this hair??

Length
    Mid/BSL/Waist
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii

Red face What am I gonna do with all this hair??

Its been awhile since I've been here
    But the last time I was here, I must apologize. Why? I ignored some great advice from some great people, and now I've never been unhappier with my hair.

But moving on, here's the sitch: I have long, mid back 2b/2c thick and dry hair. It used to be one length and it was long heavy and dull and I hated it. Now it's layered and highlighted, and I still hate it. It's in a weird conditon... Bone Straight on top layers, Wavy underneath, and even a few little spirals. Even though the top is straight I have curly roots so I have volume ON TOP of thickness! I'll never understand why people use bumpits XD

When I curl it, it falls out and expands. When I straighten it, it waves out and expands. My roots are oily and my ends are dry. I even tried a waving iron, I looked like a sheep!

Sorry this is long, but what I'm saying is I'm at a crossroads with this mane. What products, what methods do I use? Would curly girl work? I need something, I'm sick of ponytails...

Your help would be much appreciated! Please??

Type
    2a/F/M/ii/iii

Default Re: What am I gonna do with all this hair??

pictures would give us more ideas I think

Length
    Mid/BSL/Waist
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii

Oh ok! I'll post up some! Thank you

Length
    BSL/BCL/CL
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I'll take some of that thickness off your hands for you.

but in all seriousness, I would suggest clarifying to make sure it's not a build-up problem, and then perhaps doing a DT of some sort (I recommend a SMT).

If at all possible, I would stop using heat on your hair. I have maybe 8" of fresh undamaged roots and they hold their natural curl so much better than the damaged hair, which falls flat. Perhaps try adapting to heat-free styling? I'm able to get my hair fairly straight and fairly curly depending on how I dry it.

Since you say you have an oily scalp I would suggest doing C-W-C washes. The only other thing I can suggest is waiting it out until your hair grows out enough to damage to be cut off.

Lady Savitri of the Sunlight Skies in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!
    Hiding in the shadows ...

Length
    Mid/BSL/Waist
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii

This is my hair that I straightened this morning and last night! Will try to get a natural pic after I wash it

I get so many compliments on my hair. on how soft and flowy it is... these people all must be on something. I put so much product in and it feels gross!

I dont think the picture is working... try my album!
    Last edited by Waveepagee; March 18th, 2011 at 07:57 PM. Reason: pic not working

Length
    Mid/BSL/Waist
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii

Oh Anywhere, Could you fill me in on what a CWC wash is?? im kinda naive to these hair terms

Type
    2b/F/M/iii

Take a look at this. Maybe you have protein or cones build up causing the dry feeling. As for styling you could dry damp bunning for soft waves, plopping if you want a curlier look. I can only say something regarding damp bunning since I don't have the patience to plop. Damp bunning=nice soft frizziless waves! (for me) Half-ups look cute too, and makes my hair look less thick (sometimes this is desirable!)

CWC is using conditioner on the length, then shampooing, then conditioning again.
    Lady Alvarie of the Enchanted Comb in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    Mid/BSL/Waist
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii

Thanks! Y'all are all so helpful! <3

Length
    25 in/33 in/4ever
    Type
    2c/3a/M/i/ii

I second damp bunning.

Also, if I were you I would stop and start over. Pick a shampoo, conditioner, and oil and stick with them for a few weeks. See what works and what doesn't. Then, adapt. Change ONE thing at a time and stick to it for a few weeks. Sounds like slow and methodical is going to be the best way forward.

Length
    chin/BSL/Hip
    Type
    2c/M/C/iii

I third damp bunning. Really softens my coarse dry waves.

Also, I agree with quitting the heat if possible. I used to have the straight top layer/curly bottom layer problem when I used to heat-style regularly, now I have a much more presentable wave pattern. Damp buns helped me quit heat, because I could go out with my hair up instead of having it drip down my back all day.

Clarify, DT, put it up and forget it for a while!