Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Clotrimazol instead of monistat?

Length
    shldr/hip/bcl
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

Default Clotrimazol instead of monistat?

I've tried. I've looked everywhere. Romania does not carry Monistat or miconazol nitrate, and it's final. But while scrolling through the monistat thread, a member was warned against the stuff because of an existing allergy to Clotrimazol-it seems the two substances are quite alike.
    So I was wondering...has anyone tried it? If not, is anyone willing to give it a shot(ofcourse, I'm volunteering, but two heads are better than one)
    Also, my tube of Clotrimazol has a warning regarding it not being suitable to treat nail or scalp fungus-I'm wondering, is this because of its containing about 96%alcohol?, or are there other factors involved?

Length
    19.3/21.7/30
    Type
    3b/M/C/ii/iii

Default Re: Clotrimazol instead of monistat?

Quote Originally Posted by FluffSpider View Post
    I've tried. I've looked everywhere. Romania does not carry Monistat or miconazol nitrate, and it's final. But while scrolling through the monistat thread, a member was warned against the stuff because of an existing allergy to Clotrimazol-it seems the two substances are quite alike.
    So I was wondering...has anyone tried it? If not, is anyone willing to give it a shot(ofcourse, I'm volunteering, but two heads are better than one)
    Also, my tube of Clotrimazol has a warning regarding it not being suitable to treat nail or scalp fungus-I'm wondering, is this because of its containing about 96%alcohol?, or are there other factors involved?
    Hi! How did it go? Did you try it out? I can't find monistat in my homecountry either.

Length
    BSL/WL!/knee+
    Type
    1c/F/M/i/ii

I have some, but I don't use it enough to know of any results. good or bad. Although I once looked it up and something mentioned that a (somewhat rare) side effect of using it is a increase in hair growth rate. I'll start giving it a try again and let you know how it goes.

Length
    FLIP/APL/CLA
    Type
    2c/M/ii

I am just never going to be comfortable using a drug in an off-label manner that has never been tested for daily long-term use. It's scary as heck to me to think of what this could do to my body if I'm giving myself a transdermal dose daily of a med that MOST people would use for a couple days MAX, in a much smaller amount for each dose, maybe a couple of times in their whole lives. THAT is the kind of use that is tested for as far as safety is concerned, not slathering it over your entire head every day. I am not at all convinced that this is not dangerous.
    Lady Vanlanthiriel of the Cascading Waterfalls in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!
    2b/ M / ii - started castor oil blend Aug 1, 2011
    Current: APL l Goal: Waist

Length
    3"/3.5"/34"
    Type
    2a/F/M/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by FluffSpider View Post
    96% alcohol sounds extremely drying! Is it a cream formula or a sort of clear formula? I can't imagine a cream having so much alcohol. I would be concerned that it would be very drying!

Still, you could just experiment with a dilute solution of it and see what happens? I can't imagine it'd be any worse than monistat. A part of me wants to try Monistat (or Daktarin as it is here) but another part of me doesn't like the idea of whacking a medication randomly on my head without knowing what the long term effects could be!! I am tempted to do a 30 day challenge or something though...
    Starting over short and working towards virgin hair!

Length
    19.3/21.7/30
    Type
    3b/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by archel View Post
    I am just never going to be comfortable using a drug in an off-label manner that has never been tested for daily long-term use. It's scary as heck to me to think of what this could do to my body if I'm giving myself a transdermal dose daily of a med that MOST people would use for a couple days MAX, in a much smaller amount for each dose, maybe a couple of times in their whole lives. THAT is the kind of use that is tested for as far as safety is concerned, not slathering it over your entire head every day. I am not at all convinced that this is not dangerous.
    I totally get your point. I have excluded all "nasties" from my skin and hair routines (except for nailpolish), so i only use natural products all over my body. Even when it comes to health issues, I rather use natural aids than the things you can get from the doctor.

But there is a big BUT, my hair grows sooo slowly, and I'm sick and tired of wearing clip ins all the time (I really can't stand my hair without the clip ins). So i'm willing to sacrifice some braincells for a couple of inches of hairgrowth, yep!

Technicolour Pug Lover pink.sara's Avatar
    Length
    42/26/36
    Type
    1a/1b/F/iii

If you read back through the Monistat thread there were people who tried clotrimazole and had no results in hair growth or shedding reduction. Some people had increased growth or shedding benefits from ketoconizole but they were few and far between.
    Also the clotrimazole was drying to hair and skin.

Fair enough if you want to experiment with it though

Oh and I've been using Daktarin (Miconazole nitrate 2&#37 diluted with a bit of water since 2009 with no side effects. I did get the headaches using it neat for the first 2-3 times but after diluting it was fine. I have used it every other day for 3 months continuously, or gone a month or two without, but my use has been pretty consistent as without it my hair grows less than 1/2 and inch per month.
    Last edited by pink.sara; August 11th, 2011 at 04:32 AM. Reason: Add detail.

Brand New Redhead

Length
    3"/3.5"/34"
    Type
    2a/F/M/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by pink.sara View Post
    If you read back through the Monistat thread there were people who tried clotrimazole and had no results in hair growth or shedding reduction. Some people had increased growth or shedding benefits from ketoconizole but they were few and far between.

Oh and I've been using Daktarin (Miconazole nitrate 2%) diluted with a bit of water since 2009 with no side effects. I did get the headaches using it neat for the first 2-3 times but after diluting it was fine. I have used it every other day for 3 months continuously, or gone a month or two without, but my use has been pretty consistent as without it my hair grows less than 1/2 and inch per month.
    How much does it actually increase your growth rate? I really am curious about starting...hmm...and it can't be difficult to find a tube of Daktarin around here.
    Starting over short and working towards virgin hair!

Length
    19.3/21.7/30
    Type
    3b/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by pink.sara View Post

Oh and I've been using Daktarin (Miconazole nitrate 2%) diluted with a bit of water since 2009 with no side effects. I did get the headaches using it neat for the first 2-3 times but after diluting it was fine. I have used it every other day for 3 months continuously, or gone a month or two without, but my use has been pretty consistent as without it my hair grows less than 1/2 and inch per month.
    Thank you so much for the info! The thread is sooo damn long and I forgot that you can search within the thread so I havent found any info about clotrimazole there.

Ok, so in my homecountry the only creams that you can find with miconazole in have also got paraffinum in it, which is not approved if you like me are CO-washing only. I can't sacrifice the ends of my hair which I would if I would start using shampoo to wash the paraffinum out. Hmm, dilemma. Maybe I should just order som MN online from the states and pray for it to work.

My hair grows about 1/4 inch a month, and on top of that the ends breaks off even though I con't have splits in them, so my hair is actually getting shorter ..

Technicolour Pug Lover pink.sara's Avatar
    Length
    42/26/36
    Type
    1a/1b/F/iii

Well, it's pretty pathetic without it! I have a bleached streak so I can measure to the MM and without it it was growing 7mm a month... Every month... For a year. I know some people get seasonal changes etc but in the summer it slows to 5mm and in winter I managed 12mm.
    With the Daktarin it takes a few weeks of applying once or twice to see a difference but then will speed to 15-20mm for a month or two. Then I take a break!
    My hair thickness stays the same with longterm use but while using my shedding reduces massively and then after a week or two without, I have a big shed of all the hair that didn't fall during use.
    I would normally gain between 3 and 4 inches a year and have done for about 4 years, but with Daktarin I now grow about 6-7 which isn't much, but it's a huge improvement

Brand New Redhead