Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The fuss with greasy hair...

Length
    25/38.4/50
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii/iii

Default The fuss with greasy hair...

So, hi there, I need help.

My hair has been greasy since puberty started, and it is still greasy now... I just don't have nice hair anymore, as soon as it is dry from washing, the roots are already a bit greasy and stringy. I don't use harsh shampoos, I apply conditioner only on the lengths... I just don't have an idea how to fight that grease any more!

Every tip would be appreciated, so... tell me everything you know!

(And, if you like, I'll offer some Swiss cheese here )

Length
    short/41/45"
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

my hair is greasy too... im almost 19 (this friday) and its been greasy since puberty too... baking soda/shampoo scalp washes help me sometimes
    can i call this classic length

Length
    bob/bob/WST
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/iii

What about a clarifying shampoo only on your scalp like Suave Clarifying? I always had to wash my hair at least every other day when I was in my teens and sometimes by then it would be awful.

Combing only when wet with CO, Suave conditioner, AG Re:Coil, LA Looks sports gel, EVOO and coconut oil

Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

I would say, find out what works best for you. For some people it's better to wash their hair less frequently and with a milder shampoo (one without sulfates maybe), while for others it's more frequent washing and a shampoo that contains Sles.

Length
    Chin/Apl+/Hip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Have you tried a shampoo bar? I know there are ones for greasy hair issues. Tea tree oil I believe is a good one. I know the soap lady of oregan and chargin valley have ones with tea tree oil in them. Or maybe just try mixing a bit of tea tree oil in with your regular shampoo?
    Starting over current length: APL+.. GOAL: BACK TO HIP

Length
    Pixie/MBL/???
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Mines greasy, and going CO=conditioner only helped. It's still greasy but not nearly as bad.

Length
    25/38.4/50
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii/iii

Thanks for those ideas!

I'll try that tea tree oil-thing tomorrow, CO-ing maybe in my holidays (I've read that it sometimes leads to greasier hair, so I don't want to see anyone then... if that happens).

I can't buy Suave-products over here (Europe), but I've tried about five shampoos now, all organic, and most of them have made my hair even greasier, except for one, which I use now... but this seems to make them sticky or coated, so I'll have to change again.

I don't know where to find shampoo bars here, except for LUSH, so I'll try one of their bars, I think.

Type
    2a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by *Elvina* View Post
    I would say, find out what works best for you. For some people it's better to wash their hair less frequently and with a milder shampoo (one without sulfates maybe), while for others it's more frequent washing and a shampoo that contains Sles.
    Yep. Washing less and using gentler shampoos doesn't work for everyone.

Also, there's a popular theory around here that excessive washing and harsh shampoos leads the scalp to produce more oil, therefore if you're prone to a greasy scalp, you should wash less and over time the scalp will learn to produce less oil. But this isn't necessarily true for everyone, either. Some of us just are better off using regular sulfate shampoos and washing frequently.

Personally, I use an SLES shampoo (Nexxus Therappe) and I wash every other day or every two days. My scalp and hair are very happy.
    The voices may not be real, but they have some pretty good ideas.
    Another Girl's Paradise

Agressively friendly. MadPirateBippy's Avatar
    Type
    1b/F/i/ii

You might want to try doing a baking soda wash for a week or so, or try it on the weekend, to see how it goes. I had great luck with mine (and I'd even link you the recipie I used, but it was all on my journal here and that's not back yet)

It was basically mixing a tablespoon or a teaspoon of baking soda in a cup of hot water, letting the water cool while you shower, then massaging it into the scalp and rinsing. When that's done, do some sort of heavy rinse with water, and then an acid rinse. See if your hair likes it, it's cheap!

If not, perhaps adding a bit of baking soda to your shampoo or conditioner would help, just remember to do an acid rinse. Baking soda is a base and opens up the scales of your hair, making it a bit more prone to damage, so use some acid to close your hair up again when you're done washing.

Hope that helps!

Length
    22/22/40
    Type
    2b/2c/C/iii

I second the shampoo bar idea. I used them for a few months and found that I could go a day or two longer than normal between washes with very little grease. I stopped using them because they took too long to use and because they stripped my color, but they were amazing for scalp happiness. I only tried the CV bars but I hear the PLH ones are good too.