Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: *Easy* polished updos for 'almost mid-back'

Length
    18"/27"/?
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii/iii

Default *Easy* polished updos for 'almost mid-back'

I need a few professional looking updos and have no idea what to try! I've been stuck in a rut for a while and haven't really learned anything for my current length. I'm a smidge above mid-back, and have fairly thick hair with a slight v hemline. All I can do is a ponytail or a messy bun and that won't cut it for job interviews!

I have a medium ficcare, some spin pins, and metal free hair bands at my disposal, but I'd be happy to pick up some new toys. I can do an english braid, but that's about it. I'm pretty updo challenged, so the easier the better, but I'm willing to spend time practicing. Any recommendations?
    Last edited by AreWild; January 24th, 2011 at 05:04 PM. Reason: spelling

Easily Enabled
    Length
    24"/~40"/~40"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

Default Re: *Easy* polished updos for 'almost mid-back'

Cheater's version of Torrin's way of doing the nautilus bun; skip the part where she wraps length around the base, just pull it straight through. Only pull it half through if you want to the ends to loop back inside the bun. Secure with whatever you're most comfortable with, it's held wonderfully for me with a ficcare, forks, sticks, and pins.

Get Trapped in a Book! Jessica Trapp's Avatar
    Length
    33/40/44
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

French twist?

And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. --Kahlil Gibran

Last of the Brunnen-G kwaniesiam's Avatar
    Length
    bald/mop/long!
    Type
    2b/2c/F/i/ii

A neat single french braid can look professional. Or you can always do a sock bun if you can't get any twisted buns to hold yet.
    Your neighborhood LHC-friendly hair stylist Anyone is always free to PM me if they have any questions they think I might be able to help with, hair or otherwise!

Type
    1b/F/ii

How about a braided bun? Simple and pretty.
    ~Lady Menrva of the Cat-Kept Library in the Order of the Long Haired Knights~
    Chin
    ~Shoulder~APL~BSL~MBA~Waist~Tailbone~Classic

Length
    Buzz/hip/class
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

A very simple but looks complicated bun is the rose bun, but not using a rope braid. I think its called a rose bun!

Just put your hair in an ear length pony
    Have some bobby pins at the ready
    Take small sections and twist, until they fold on to them self and bobby pin them in place
    Keep doing this until all twists are secured! easy but looks nice

Or if you don't like twisting just curl the hair around your finger and bobby clip the sections underneath, keep doing until all sections are up!

Or the poofy bun

Put a high pony tail in your hair
    Tip your head forward and place a comb clip above the flipped over bit
    then bring your head to a normal position, the pony should now cover the comb clip (I am not sure of the real name of these but they look like mini combs)
    Curl the ends under and secure with a decorative barrette

heres mine on just past apl!
    and back
    Buzz October 2015 to get rid of bendigo and lots of other damage, now Al natural and loving it....where will my journey end? I will tell you when I get there. Lifelong Co washer and LOC method currentl approaching curly hip

I've fallen in love with the flipped bun lately, which just lasted me all day fuss-free with a couple spin-pins. At first I thought my hair wasn't quite long enough for it, but when I started the spiral for the bun _below_ the base of the pony it worked great! I'm thinking of it as my consolation for the Gibson tuck, which doesn't seem to be working well for me anymore.

Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

Check out this lady's videos.

http://www.youtube.com/user/lilithedarkmoon
    Current Hair Care Routine-
    Lots of TLC & TLHC!

Length
    chin/30.5/44+?
    Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

The poofy bun Jojo described can also be done at the nape.

You can secure the top of the bun with bobbie pins rather than a com or with thick hair a jaw clip can work without showing through.

You can roll the bottom around your hand and secure it with more bobbie pins. If you put a ponytail holder on the ponytail toward th end of it you will find that it wants to curl under naturally and you can easily tuck it under and pin it in place. Go to YouTube and search for the chesnut bun to see this.

Another way to make the top of the bun flip over is to make a pulled through ponytail pulling up through the bottom to get the hair to fountain over the top. That may be demoed in the chestnut bun video, I don't remember.

Find the chignon bun in the hairdo of the month section to get more variations on this.

If you can't tell I am a big fan of this style.
    Some people have a way with words. Others, oh. . . no. . . have. . . way. --Steve Martin

Easily Enabled
    Length
    24"/~40"/~40"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    A very simple but looks complicated bun is the rose bun, but not using a rope braid. I think its called a rose bun!

Just put your hair in an ear length pony
    Have some bobby pins at the ready
    Take small sections and twist, until they fold on to them self and bobby pin them in place
    Keep doing this until all twists are secured! easy but looks nice

Or if you don't like twisting just curl the hair around your finger and bobby clip the sections underneath, keep doing until all sections are up!
    This sounds a lot like the wiggle bun. It also works nicely for half-ups.