Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Newbies or not-How 'old' do you have to be to be considered a true LHC-er?

Banned
    Length
    Chin/SL/BSL
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii

Default Newbies or not-How 'old' do you have to be to be considered a true LHC-er?

Newbies or not-How 'old' do you have to be to be considered a true LHC-er?

2 months,3,6,2 years...What do you think?

Length
    Shldr/Clbn/Clsc
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Default Re: Newbies or not-How 'old' do you have to be to be considered a true LHC-er?

As long as you're passionate about hair and treat the community with respect I'd say as soon as you join! We are a very welcoming community
    ~~Lady Cēphisso of the Evercolor Inkwells in the Order of the Long Haired Knights~~
    Shoulder!!!!...on my way to Classic!

[Insert something clever] BrightEyes7's Avatar
    Length
    APL/BSL/Done
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Newbies or not-How 'old' do you have to be to be considered a true LHC-er?

Well I think it is more about posts not a certain time limit. Like 100 posts.

But then again I still kinda feel like a newbie!

But I agree with Maddy... as long as your kind and respectful and give your insight about hair!
    Straightened.

Length
    pixie/Nape/25+
    Type
    2b/M/ii

I look at posts rather than length of membership, althout I'm sure it doesn't really matter how long or short or how many posts. It's the quality of the experience.
    Last edited by aenflex; November 18th, 2010 at 10:55 AM. Reason: sp
    We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves. - Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by BrightEyes7 View Post
    Well I think it is more about posts not a certain time limit. Like 100 posts.
    I would not agree about the number of posts thing - you have some noobs who litterally flood the forum with more or less pertinent and intelligent posts for a few months, then seem to lose interest and never be seen again ever after. On the other end of the spectrum, some members for years have quite a low postcount and I'm sure must feel like a part of the community, at least I feel they are anyway.
    It's more about quality posting, not about being an attention wh*re who goes on "me ! ME!" relentlessly until they find a shinier toy.

Length
    neck/waist/term
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by slz View Post
    It's more about quality posting, not about being an attention wh*re who goes on "me ! ME!" relentlessly until they find a shinier toy.
    I could not agree more. Also, you can't join a forum such as LHC and just *take*. You have to be willing to *give back* as well. Education and support and friendship are all two way streets.

a new journey begins

Length
    23/48.5/55+
    Type
    1c/F/ii/iii

well, you have to have 25 posts to achieve member status>Then, you're an LHCer.
    Once a person has that Member title under their name they're a member to me.

I am relatively new, but I am logged into this site, and actually sitting in front of the screen for about 5 hours a day, if that doesn't make me a true member, I don't know what does.

I don't see myself, or OP, or people who have been a member since 2005 but only have 56 posts, as being any less important than say, the posters who have 19000 posts. Look at Aenflex for example, she's been here 5 months less than I have, and she has more than double the posts I do. Is she a more true LHCer than I?

I think it really is about passion, and quality, rather than time here, or number of posts. However, I am sure you'd find some members with 20 000 posts who think we're all noobs...lol.

ETA: When I say quality, I don't mean grammar, and impressing everyone with knowledge, and or/big words, I just mean that the posts follow KNIT, and the overall feeling of the community. We have over 30 000 members, and we all manage to get along somehow that's pretty impressive.
    Last edited by Calaelen; November 18th, 2010 at 02:07 PM.

Type
    2a/M/iii

I dont have that many posts, but been a member here for 2 years and I check in everyday - several times. If this was a danish site, i'm sure I would have a lot more posts though. It's just a little easier too express yourself in your own language.
    So for me number of posts dont matter.

Dont know when you are considered a true LCH-er. What does that imply exactly ?!

You could be a member here for years and only lurk, or you can write 100 posts a day and know as much about hair as the lurker. So I dont know

But I guess the active one is the "true" LCH-er, because if everyone only lurked, this forum would be pretty lame
    Last edited by Bianca; November 18th, 2010 at 12:49 PM.
    Waiting for waist

Length
    Chin/Nape/term
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I'm kind of surprised at the tone of some of these replies. It reminds me of being shut out of the cool kids in middle school. I come here when I want info on hair care, or just to be in the virtual company of people who value long hair. I post when a topic interests me. I give advice when I feel I have helpful information. I might go months when I don't check in and then periods (like now) when I check in more frequently. It never occured to me to wonder whether I'm a "real" LHCer. I certainly hope I'm not an attention wh*re who goes on me! me! until I find a shinier toy.

Length
    apl/thigh/thigh
    Type
    1a/1b/M/C/ii/iii

I think it's more of being recognized and accepted as a long term member of the forum, not just the post count. Since this is the Long Hair Community it's the friendships and connection you make with others on here (either it's complimenting their hair or having meaningful discussions) that makes you an LHC'er.
    Almost there!