Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hair Care in Outer Space

Length
    bsl/waist/hip
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

Default Hair Care in Outer Space

Seeing those pictures from the latest NASA mission to Mars (an unmanned one, for now ...) and having my space station screen saver come on before, got me to start wondering about the daily realities of space flight.

And, of course, somehow hair care came to the forefront of my mind. After all, while you may find some way to wash yourself in outer space, presumably washing ones hair (if it's any longer than a pixie) should be a problem, if not an impossibility. After all, in zero gravity it would be pretty tricky to even wet your hair, and without "running" water - as opposed to droplets spreading every which direction - you would not be able to remove any kind of shampoo or conditioner you applied. Dry shampoo wouldn't be such a good idea either. Unless you used some kind of vacuum cleaner hose to suck it off again, you'd be bound to end up covering your space ship / station in dust.

So, is it a sebum only routine for astronauts? Is seriously long hair feasible in space? How do you untangle it in zero space? Questions about questions, non of them rating as matters of great importance (I also read an item on the news this week about the toilet on the ISS having given up the ghost - now there's a pressing issue ), but still I'm curious.

(Of course, if anyone offered me a position on a flight into outer space, I guess I'd be prepared to sacrifice my hair if necessary ).

katharine

Blewyn Euraid
    Length
    TB/TB/Knee
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

I just have this image of hair floating in a frizzy mass in every direction. Past classic length hair too. LOL

Length
    2"/Calf/evs
    Type
    1c/M/iii

From the NASA Website:

MALONE: And Sara from Detroit, Michigan, has a question that I’m interested in: How do astronauts with long hair like Sunita Williams wash their hair in space?

MELVIN: Sara, that’s a very good question and, actually, since I don’t have very long hair, I don’t need to know about this. But I sent Suni an e-mail yesterday and she sent me back a response which is right here. I cut and pasted it into this page. And she said she wets it with water, she puts in some herbal Russian shampoo that doesn’t really foam up a lot, and then she rubs it around. She towels it off, she adds more water, rubs it around again and then she towels it off again. She does this a couple times to get all the, all of the shampoo out, and she says it really, really works well. And she also said the U.S. shampoo makes her hair feel like straw. So I’m glad I don’t have that problem.

You can see it here: http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/podca...ebcast_prt.htm

Sunita Williams actually cut her long hair while in space, and supposedly donated the ponytail to LoL.
    Islandgrrl - Izzie
    Calf length, heading south to lengths unknown.

Length
    2"/Calf/evs
    Type
    1c/M/iii

And then there's this fact sheet, also from NASA:
    http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/spacenew...fact_sheet.pdf

I don't believe I ever want to go into space.....
    Islandgrrl - Izzie

Length
    bsl/waist/hip
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

Thnalk you very much for posting that information and link, Islandgrrl. Going from personal experience (rinse, rinse some more, switch shower setting to water jet, rinse again) though, I'm not quite sure I can believe the towelling off method to remove shampoo properly. Still, that Russian shampoo sure sounds like it might actually be something some of us LCHers wouldn't mind giving a try. I wonder how NASA would react, if someone wrote to them asking about the brand of shampoo the astronaut is using and where you can order it .

Greetings

katharine

Length
    2"/Calf/evs
    Type
    1c/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by k_hepburn View Post
    I wonder how NASA would react, if someone wrote to them asking about the brand of shampoo the astronaut is using and where you can order it .
    Hmmmm....I think that deserves a little investigation!!!
    Islandgrrl - Izzie

Length
    28/tlb/tlb
    Type
    2b/2c/C/ii

Quote Originally Posted by k_hepburn View Post
    Thnalk you very much for posting that information and link, Islandgrrl. Going from personal experience (rinse, rinse some more, switch shower setting to water jet, rinse again) though, I'm not quite sure I can believe the towelling off method to remove shampoo properly. Still, that Russian shampoo sure sounds like it might actually be something some of us LCHers wouldn't mind giving a try. I wonder how NASA would react, if someone wrote to them asking about the brand of shampoo the astronaut is using and where you can order it .

Greetings

katharine
    Russia herbal shampoos are milder. Most don't have SLS and are more soap based. They are somewhat similar to Burt's Bees shampoos from the US ones. Some are even milder. Most of Russia has very soft water. If you find out what brand it is (there are MANY) I could probably find it.

Indian Herb Article Wstern Herb Article 2b/C/ii/iii .
    Lady Aes Cyprium, Potionmaker and Alchemist to the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    26-31/Chin/Waist
    Type
    1b/F/ii

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0dw-IzKxWU

Washing Hair in Zero Gravity. This was posted once at the old LHC, if I remember correctly.
    (Student) trapeze artist, acrobat, contortionist and more. Check out me and my partner here!

Length
    28/tlb/tlb
    Type
    2b/2c/C/ii

Amusingly I had this from my Ethnobotany class trip.

Russian Nettle Shampoo.

Indian Herb Article Wstern Herb Article 2b/C/ii/iii .
    Lady Aes Cyprium, Potionmaker and Alchemist to the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    shldr/APL/BSL
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii

I always figured they just put it in a bun and washed it when they got back.