Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sock bun - DAMAGING?

Length
    24/38/40
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Default Sock bun - DAMAGING?

Hey guys. I just wanted to ask all you who love to wear your hair in the sockbun -

Does wearing the actual netted doughnut that you can buy from the shops damaging?
    I ask because I am not yet accomplished with buns, and I'm considering wearing my hair in a sockbun every day for work, though I can't help but to notice that the doughnut is rather rough?

Do any of you wear a sockbun alot of the time? Am I just being paranoid?

Length
    12/46/knee
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Default Re: Sock bun - DAMAGING?

I use an actual soft sock as the base which I roll my hair around. The most damaging thing about a sock bun just might be having to tightly elastic it into a ponytail as the first step. Now, I hear some people are just able to gather their hair up manually, insert it into the middle of the sock and then roll it up without having to pony it first. Wouldn't work for me as it would just schloompf into a sad plop of doughnut hair at the base of my neck within seconds. If that elastic-less method works for you, then I don't think a sock bun would be damaging in the least.

Alternatively, I find the most secure, safest and easiest way to wear my hair day after day is to put it into a cinnabun. I know it's a go-to daily bun for lots of other LHC members, too. It takes about 2 minutes to put up and, when pinned properly, holds like cement all day. Plus, no damaging elastics to worry about.

Slow day: Didn't have much to do, so spent three hours on LHC. Busy day: Managed to work in three hours of LHC. Bad day: Barely squeezed in three hours on LHC.

Length
    chin/APL/Hip
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

I didn't even know you could buy a pre-made doughnut thingie, lol I too simply use a rolled up sock for my bunning. Speaking of ... I need to pick up some baby socks since I think I'm getting to that length

Length
    23,2/27,6/Clsic
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

I just use a rolled up sock too, when I do the sock bun. It's very rare, though, because I don't like the way it looks on me, since I can't roll it up yet.
    Lady Phemonoe of the Lilting Song in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    Pixie/TBL/Fins
    Type
    2b/M/iii

I wear the rolled up sock bun when I wear it, and I did use my own sock for it. I do wear it rarely though since, from my experience, it was a little damaging to my hair, but keeping it a rare style helps me. I can't speak for everyone though.

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I can't speak to the roughness of your donut (again, most folks just use actual socks, which are quite soft), but I know my hair's easily damaged by elastics. So I tend to avoid sock buns because the elastics would eventually cause some serious damage for me. Not to mention, sock buns would not get along with my car's headrests!
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    22"/45"/45"
    Type
    1a/F/ii

I tried doing the method where you start at the ends of your hair and roll the sock all the way to your head and for me I felt like I was damaging my hair because it was all rubbing together and got tangled, but that's just how I felt, not sure if it actually damaged my hair but it just seemed too rough on it.

Be who you are... those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind

Length
    pixie/25"/32"
    Type
    1b/F/i/ii

I know what doughnut thingy you're talking about, and yes it would be damaging. (for me anyway, my hair is fine and damages quite easily) I found it to be rough and some of hy hairs caught in it. Most people here just use a rolled up sock, which would be *alot* more gentle.

Length
    16"/TBL/TBL
    Type
    1a/M/ii

I use a sock bun and use these for the pony:

http://www.franceluxe.com/pc/9557A/P...ers/index.html

I made my sock bun from a pair of long, brown, unused socks.
    Lady Rose of the Angels in the Order Of The Long Haired Knights

Length
    15/28/29
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

I sometimes do a fully-rolled sock bun with a couple of my toddler's outgrown socks rolled together. When I first tried it I thought it was rather damaging, but I persevered. So if you practise, you may find that as you get better at doing the style, it won't seem nearly so bad. Oh, and I can sometimes do it satisfactorily without an elastic now, although I don't find that solid enough to wear for a whole day.