Thread: dyeing for shine!

bear of vry little brains x0h_bother's Avatar
    Length
    SL 07/BSL/Waist
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii/iii

Default dyeing for shine!

Hello all,
    I am interested in dying my hair dark dark brown possibly black for the shine of it. I currently have virgin hair, this is my natural hair color, and while I like it I lack shine. I believe I have a combination of naturally coarser hair strands and some heat damage that dull shine. I look at some of my friends who dye and I am jealous of their shine!
    So those who dye, what are the dangers? Will I regret it? I looked in the articles section for dangers of permanent dye but couldn't find one. And do you think the color is a good idea?
    I am not a good "chemist" and I doubt hennindigo (SP?) would be a good choice for me. I thought about cassia but I'm not sure it will be enough for what I am looking to do.
    TIA, x0
    growwwwww..

if I tug on my hair, will it grow faster?

Length
    22/33/hip33
    Type
    1c/M/ii

Default Re: dying for shine!

DON'T DO IT!

OK, so if your hair is dull from heat damage just think what will happen after you damage it more with dye.

There it tons of info here on how to improve shine without chemical damage. Start reading arround in the Herbal hair care section before you do something unreversable.
    Lady Kalulu of the Greenbower Dales in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Relentless Reenactor Fiferstone's Avatar
    Length
    18/38/40
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Three words: Apple Cider Vinegar

this REALLY improved the shine for me, no fooling, and if you find you don't like it, you don't have a color change to deal with. I find that a 1/2 teaspoon in about 8 ounces of water works for me as a final rinse (following rinsing the shampoo out). I have mad shine from this. I've also found that coconut oil soaks the night before I wash have helped improve the overall condition of my hair. Here's a good picture showing the shine.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...ictureid=62990

Full disclosure, I'm also a henna-head, because I like the color. Henna also improves shine, but again, you'll get the henna flare in sunlight and if you don't want that, don't henna. If I were you, I'd try apple cider vinegar (ACV) rinses to start with and see if that helps.
    Lady Marigold of the Far Plains in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    bob/WL+/WL+
    Type
    1b/F/M/iii

I agree with young&reckless. Don't dye. You can get great shine from henndigo (I think I do), coconut oil, or even 'coney serums if you really want it. Plus, black dye=bad idea. It never comes out. Ask me how I know...
    January 2012

Length
    Waist/BSL/???
    Type
    1c/2a/C/ii

I have heard that permanent (as well as semi permanent) dyes can make some people's hair shiny but through personal experiance I have found that the opposite is true (for me anyway). When I dyed my hair darker it decreased it's shine and caused it to look dull until the color grew out.

Chemical dyes seem like the wrong choice, in my opinion. Like putting diesel in your car because it is cheaper...

I'd say try ACV, then try serums, then try henna.

Length
    chin/BSL+/TBL
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

I had dyed my hair for years before I gave up this february. Dying hair isn't too bad if you maintain short hair but with long hair the damage accumulates on the length. If you only dye the roots, the length will lose it's shine as time passes. However, if you dye it all it will affect the strength and texture of the length. My virgin hair is completely frizz free but the length is a mess even though I have never abused it with heat or excess products. When I still dyed it was frizzy from scalp to tips. All of my breakage happens lower than my demarkation line. I wouldn't recommend you to dye just for shine as it in the long run creates more problems than it fixes. I can recommend from experience a honey treatment for shine. Honey has some bleaching power but that can be neutralised by microwaving it prior to application.

If you really want to dye your hair, take a good look at the ingredients list. Even dark colours sometimes have bleaching agents in them (usually they are labeled as 2-step dyes but that is not always the case).
    Last edited by Tiina; August 22nd, 2010 at 07:59 PM.
    Too lazy to make a new siggy.

Length
    17/BSL+/Waist
    Type
    1c/F/ii

My virgin hair is MUCH shinier than the dyed ends. I would advise you to try less drastic measures first.

(Am I the only one who thought at first that the OP was figuratively dying for shiny hair, not literally?)

Length
    SL-28/36/40
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii/iii

No you are not alone. If you hadn't pointed it out I still wouldn't have noticed (minds on vacation today)

Persistent Procrastinator teela1978's Avatar
    Length
    19/34/36
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Wouldn't shine serum be a less drastic method of getting shinier hair? I vote for the super-coney conditioner route