Thread: Does Aloe have a shelf life?

Length
    21 in/45 in/50 in
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Default Does Aloe have a shelf life?

I have a very old (3-4 years) bottle of Fruit of the Earth aloe gel. Does anyone know if it has a shelf life?

Length
    26/27-30/??
    Type
    2b/F/i/ii

The quick answer is yes, it does have a shelf life. The longer answer is that FOTE gel does have preservatives, so you're better off than with some other aloe gels. I have used 3-4 year old (and older) products without problems, but not on skin. If you want to use the gel for SMT, I think it will be okay, but if you are going to use it on your skin, get a fresh bottle.

Length
    21 in/45 in/50 in
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Flaxen View Post
    The quick answer is yes, it does have a shelf life. The longer answer is that FOTE gel does have preservatives, so you're better off than with some other aloe gels. I have used 3-4 year old (and older) products without problems, but not on skin. If you want to use the gel for SMT, I think it will be okay, but if you are going to use it on your skin, get a fresh bottle.
    It's for SMT so I will go ahead and use it, thank you so much for the info!

Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

The shelf life of organic aloe vera gel is one year. And it spoils easily because it is sensitive to bacteria etc..
    But with added preservatives it lasts longer. Potassium Sorbate, Citric Acid, Parabens, Vitamin E, Grapefruit Seed extract and others can serve as preservatives.
    Organic juice should be refrigirated after opening (no in your case or in gel cases).

I decided to answer too incase someone else was wondering about their aloe.
    Lady Illmater Mother of Väinämöinen in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    21 in/45 in/50 in
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Flaxen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by savi View Post
    The shelf life of organic aloe vera gel is one year. And it spoils easily because it is sensitive to bacteria etc..
    But with added preservatives it lasts longer. Potassium Sorbate, Citric Acid, Parabens, Vitamin E, Grapefruit Seed extract and others can serve as preservatives.
    Organic juice should be refrigirated after opening (no in your case or in gel cases).

I decided to answer too incase someone else was wondering about their aloe.
    Thank you for that info. I think it would probably be better if I just bought a new batch!