Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stress and Hair

Blewyn Euraid
    Length
    TB/TB/Knee
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Angry Stress and Hair

I have been under a lot of stress the last few months and have noticed that my nails have stopped growing. Does the same happen to hair? I hope not cos I am right at the inbetween classic and tb length and its a frustrating length!!

Also Ive been having a continual bad hair day the last month. I have been so lazy with it- have found it hard to bother to wash it. And I just cant be bothered with styles- I just plait it (or stick it in a snood in the house). Any tips to make me love it again?

Length
    ?/BSL/?
    Type
    1c/F/ii

I was under a lot of work-related stress over last summer which caused me to shed a lot of hair. I went to a dermatologist because I almost went crazy with the way my hair thinned, and she told it to be quite common to react to stress by losing more hairs. I'd imagine it would be the same with nails, as some people also react to stress with break-outs on the skin and it's known that stress affects sleep, for example. In my case it had to do with a very physical job combined with unmatching nutrition, but probably also with long hours and constantly being on work-mode. Are you eating properly, getting everything you need? It's easy to start with basic nutritional things, as those are more controllable than stress itself is.

I know how it feels to have an on-going bad hair day, which just seems to last ages - it took me months, because it took awhile for the changes to show. It felt horrible being uncomfortable with one's hair all the time, but there's really no other way round it than to just keep it up, treat it well and not try and fix it with too many different things over a short period of time.

The greatest battles are fought within oneself.
    - Unknown

Obsessive Oilaholic ChloeDharma's Avatar
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Yes, stress can effect hair very much, it causes certain hormones etc to be released and depletes nutrients like the B vits.

If you can't remove the source of stress then it would be worth doing some googling and sorting out a way to try to counter the effects of stress.....exercise, diet/supplements, massage, aromatherapy that kind of thing.
    Good luck
    The heart would have no rainbow, had the eyes no tears.

Length
    19/30/36
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Saranne, I'm so sorry to hear that you've been under stress. I hope things get better for you soon.

Yes, stress can have an effect on your hair--no question. Also though, it can have an effect on how we see our hair.

You're doing the right thing by just braiding it and keeping it out of sight. I'm sure when you have a better frame of mind, your hair will seem better too.

Feel better, sweetie.

Blewyn Euraid
    Length
    TB/TB/Knee
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Thank you for the advice, yes unfortunately I cannot remove the stress, but I am hoping that it will ease in a few months

I am trying to sleep now and I am dealing with the stress much better than I have in the past.

Ill just have to keep plodding on

Thanks again

Loves coffee & updos Chamomile betty's Avatar
    Length
    20.5/BS/30
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

I would either try a product you've been longing to try or get a few hair pretties. If you put your hair up your less apt to do anything drastic.

Hope the phase passes and the stress goes away ((hugs))
    20.5 ~ BS ~ 30 *Natural Blond w/ High & Lowlights* Bangs/Long Layers* Cone and Non Cone Products
    Always trying new products & styles.

Length
    --/36,5/44
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I am almost at the same length as you and I also have experienced a whole lot of stress the last 6 months, my hair grew nearly nothing.. I have noticed that when I sleep too little it also grows less well. Only way I think is to reduce the stress, but for me the upcoming months that ain't possible yet. Hope for you you can reduce the stressful life, and grow to classic soon!
    BSL ~ Waist ~ Hip ~ BCL ~ TB ~ Classic
    25 ~~ 29 ~~ 32 ~~ 36,5 ~~ 38,5 ~~ 42
    Lady Moneta of the Generous Heart in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    wl/90"/?
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/iii

I hope things get better for you soon. I was stressed out for a couple of years and my hair was horrible. It would take two days to untangle it, then I would need to wash it again and the tangles would start all over again. I almost started to form one big dreadlock, I couldn't even untangle it enough to braid it (I had 5 kids and would baby-sit 4 more). It wouldn't grow and neither would my nails.

I had to make a change in my diet and started taking a multi-vitamin and that seemed to make difference and when I started seeing a change that gave me more incentive to take better care of it. Hope you can find something that works for you. Good Luck!
    Your body is what you are, your soul is who you are.

Lady Elemiah of the Blessed Journey in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    19/19/term
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Saranne,

I am sorry to hear about your stress situation. Stress is so nasty on so many levels. When you are heavily stressed your adrenaline levels rise and your body slows down to conserve energy for flight. Blood is held more toward the core, and your body produces cortisol to help provide energy. You may notice you crave more sugar.

Your skin and hair are major victims from the cortisol. It can make your skin dry and you hair fall out from the conserved metabolism. You can feel so tired - like you are dragging.

Take time to spoil yourself. I listen to music before bed to help me relax and sleep better. If you feel fried, if you can take a day or 2 to get away...it can help a lot. Good nutrition and the oil treatment will help your hair. Try to get your sleep! 7-8 hours and try to be in bed by 10. Believe it or not, that energy you use to do stuff in the evening taps into the cortisol when you get tired and exceed your 16-17 hours of awake time.

Take care of yourself the best you can. There's good advice in this board, please let us know how you are doing.

Marian

Length
    25/40/45
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Stress is a terrible thing and can wreak havoc in so many different ways. Several months ago I was under tremendous stress. I did see a bit of slow hair growth and put on a few pounds, but my nails (which used to be beautiful) have suffered the most. Even though I have been very happy in the past months, I am JUST starting to see improvement in the health of my nails.

Hoping that you feel better and that the stress will lessen for you soon.

(((Hugs)))
    TammySue