Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Countess Odessa Hairstyle - help?

Type
    2a/M/iii

Default Countess Odessa Hairstyle - help?

I just watched the Age of Innocence and was practically swooning the entire time for the dresses and hairdos - especially of Countess Odessa. I'm not very adept at recreating hairstyles from movies though, can anyone help me figure these out?
    There are 2 hairstyles, this:

And this:

Any ideas?

Length
    short/short/long
    Type
    3b/F/M/ii

Default Re: Countess Odessa Hairstyle - help?

I don't know about the first, but the second looks like a tightly-pinned version of Hypnotica's romantic french twist, if I remember correctly.

I'll see if I can find the vid.

Edit: Found it.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...6257652566321#

And the thread:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...c+french+twist
    Last edited by GlassEyes; August 9th, 2010 at 07:39 AM. Reason: Links.
    (Lord Caswallawn of the Crushing Blow in the Order of Longhaired Knights)

Length
    BLS/class/tigh
    Type
    2a/F/ii

The second looks like a romantic french twist.

The first like a cameobun: A cinnamonbun with a braid wrapped around.

Length
    short/short/long
    Type
    3b/F/M/ii

ACtually, looking on it...the second looks like a figure eight with the braid pinned around it...maybe?
    (Lord Caswallawn of the Crushing Blow in the Order of Longhaired Knights)

Length
    8in/bsl/CL
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

I second the figure 8 in the second picture but the first one seems to have something hanging out of the bun like a rope braid.

Length
    23/48.5/55+
    Type
    1c/F/ii/iii

Okay, for the first style, unless you have extreme patience and arm strength I think you'll need assistance. But here's how I think it is done based on the pics. First section off some hair as for a half updo. Take that and dutch braid it off to the right slightly. Do not center it.

Then you do a french rope braid with the remaining hair, like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQLIjmsFuVw , except working from the bottom of your hair up (this is where you'll most likely need the help.) French rope your hair until there is nothing left to pick up, then leave the length unroped, and make a cinnamon bun out of it. Pin the cinnamon bun securely where you want it positioned, then take the dutch braid and wrap and pin it around the cinnamon bun. You may have to play with the french rope section of the style to loosen it to look like the picture, just gently pull at the sections a little to create the look you want. Done.

The second style looks easier to do on your own. Section the hair as for a half updo, but take more hair than you normally would, on top. Clip the top section out of the way.

With the bottom section of hair, brush it up like your going to do a ponytail up beside the left ear, then instead of ponytailing it, dutch braid it. This is going to be an upside down braid and will fall funny as you let it go. With the top section of hair twist it to the left into a loose draped figure 8 bun. Secure the figure 8, then wrap the dutch braid around it pinning it to hide the pins in the figure 8. Done.

The one thing I've noticed is that these styles do not seem to require very long hair like yours, or even my tbl hair, so you may have to play around to hide the remaining length, or wrap it around more which will give a slightly different look.

Hope my instructions weren't to much of a headache to try to figure out.

I've just recreated the second look on my own, and can do a picture tutorial if my instructions are not clear. Or if anyone is interested. I'll have to wait for DH to get home so he can be the photographer though.

Length
    30/50/50
    Type
    1c/M/ii/iii

I would love to see a picture tutorial! (ETA: not because your instructions aren't clear, they are, I just find it a lot easier to see instructions in pictures).

I'm excited to try these.
    Reached my goal of knee length/50 inches. Now seeing how long it will go! Long Hair Carolyn on YouTube

Length
    23/48.5/55+
    Type
    1c/F/ii/iii

I'll get the photos done tonight, and post a tutorial here soon.

Length
    30/50/50
    Type
    1c/M/ii/iii

I made an attempt at the first style, but it didn't turn out very well! With practice I think i could get it.
    Reached my goal of knee length/50 inches. Now seeing how long it will go! Long Hair Carolyn on YouTube

Type
    2a/M/iii

I tried the second style (the first will have to wait till I find a friend willing to spend extended time with my hair) but I did it with a french braid instead of dutch (as Calaelen recommended), to make it less visible. I now think it really doesn't matter which type of braid you use, because it'll be covered by the bun anyway.
    Here are some pics:

My assessment is that either my hair is thin, or she's wearing a hairpiece....but I bet it's both :P
    I really like the style though, its so easy and looks so elegant!