Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Detangling method

Default Detangling method

Which method do you use, and how well has it worked for you?

I only recently learned that detangling wet hair is not the best idea, and I have been experiencing some hair falling out as a result. However, I tried detangling with some olive oil and even more came out, so I am at a conundrum.

Default Re: Detangling method

I detangle in the shower, with a wide tooth comb and alot of conditioner

Length
    Chin/Hip/Class
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii/iii

Have you tried combing while in the shower when your hair is saturated in conditioner? Your hair should have the most slip then, so you might lose less hair due to breakage. Many people on this site swear by this method.

I condition, detangle, and rinse. If using shampoo, I shampoo, rinse, condition, detangle, and rinse. I use the wide bristled part of this comb to detangle, starting at the bottom and moving up, usually in thirds or quarters. During the shower, the hair accumulates, some mornings more than others, and I would like to minimise this.

Length
    MBL/FTL+/???
    Type
    2b/F/M/ii

For a lot of people who have wavy hair, myself included, it works best to detangle in the shower (yes, with wet hair, but also with lots of conditioner). On the days I don't shower, finger combing works quite well for me. I wasn't always able to get away with just finger combing though, only since I started CWC and sleep braiding.

I wouldn't worry about hair falling out, it's breakage that you need to be wary of. If the strands are about the full length of your hair, they are likely shed hairs and not broken hairs.

Here is the bad part - there are really too many to tell; I will look tomorrow. The area near the part shows evidence of a few broken hairs with the frizz and flyaways.

http://img190.imageshack.us/g/head2oc.png/ - it does not look like the hair is breaking here, but this may be another issue entirely.
    Last edited by Cipher Highwind; June 26th, 2010 at 03:37 AM.

Length
    chin/BSL+/TBL
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

I don't think the problem is necessarily in combing. It is just that we notice shedding/breaking more while combing. It could be many other things such as an allergic reaction, stress, insufficient diet, etc...

Length
    chin/bsl/class
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

The whole 'in the shower, full of conditioner thing' never really worked for me. I detangle whilst washing out my conditioner under the stream of shower water.

Length
    23 in/29 in/34 in
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

Have you tried a Tangle Teaser? We got one for my daughter and it works wonders on dry tangly hair (dry as in not wet).

I've seen it mentioned on here; it may well be worth a try as we seem to have similar hair types.