Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does search and destroy cause thin ends?

Length
    20 in/waist/TBL
    Type
    3b/3c/M/iii

Default Does search and destroy cause thin ends?

I just started doing search and destroy a couple weeks ago and I thought of something. Does doing it make your hemline thin or give you fairytale ends? I like to keep my hemline thick and even (relatively). Any input you guys can share? Thanks!!!

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    Bald/Knees/Dunno
    Type
    1b/C/iii

Default Re: Does search and destroy cause thin ends?

If you cut off the damaged part and not much more than the damaged parts it doesn’t thin out the ends, no

Length
    22"/45"/45"
    Type
    1a/F/ii

I think as long as you get trims regularly, like every three months or so, you should be fine and won't get fairytale ends from just doing search and destroy. I have fairytale ends but it's from not getting a haircut for over two years

Be who you are... those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind

Length
    13"/16"/24"
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/i/ii

I would say yes it does so if you want an even, thick hemline I would do micro trims in lieu of s&d.

When my hair was waist I did micro trims (2-3mm) every 6 weeks and it had almost no noticeable effect on my length or growth progress.
    “The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

Length
    Tbone/Tbne+/Clssc
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

I compulsively S&D, and my ends have thinned out slightly. Then again, I've not had a trim in 6 months either.
    Lady Seshat, Divine Scribe in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    20 in/waist/TBL
    Type
    3b/3c/M/iii

Thanks everyone for your input. I just had a healthy trim of about an inch and a half that got rid of a lot of damage. I have been doung search an ddestroy to clean up any splits that the trim missed. I think I will switch to micro trims once a month and try that for a while. Although I do find s and d quite addictive. It's very rewarding, isn't it, getting rid of all those splits

Length
    25/35/50?
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/i/ii

I S&D constantly and get a lot of splits, but my ends still don't look any thinner than I'd expect than with plain old not trimming. Ends will thin over time just because your hair grows at different speeds, so if you want a blunt hemline, you'll have to trim every so often. I'm not convinced S&D has a noticeable effect on it, though.

Length
    16"?/29"/40"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

If you want a thick blunt hemline and you have split ends that are up a ways from the very end of the hemline, then IMO you need to do both S & D and get regular mini trims. Not all split ends will be in the last half inch of hair. Most of mine aren't. So I S & D regularly to take care of the splits and and mini trim regularly to keep my hemline blunt. I've had 2 one half inch trims this year and have been doing S & D on a regular basis and my ends are looking better.

I am not here to decorate your world

Type
    1b/F/M/i/ii

I never S & D and it would scare the bejeezus out of me to do it.

But then I have almost no split ends.

And I get my hair trimmed every 8-12 weeks.
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=29372&dateline=127544  1604

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

It depends on how much damage you're trying to cut out a hair at a time. When I joined I had a lot of heat damage, and I did lots and lots and lots of S&D. My ends got very thin, but I still had a lot of damage, so I had a 5-inch trim. Every time I see lots of splits, I just go ahead and get however much of a trim that I need to get rid of most of them rather than S&D. I save S&D for when I'm stuck sitting around with nothing to do. These days there's not much to cut out, thank goodness! I had a 4-inch cut in January because of split ends and have grown back those inches already.