Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maybe dumb question, my hair barely moves?

Default Maybe dumb question, my hair barely moves?

Unless I really swing it violently. I have just-below-BSL hair and it doesn't move the way it should. I have several friends who have identical hair type and length to mine, and when they walk it blows in the wind and swings and all of that glory, and mine doesn't move almost at all when it's down. It all just "follows suit".
    I noticed this back when my hair was around waist, too. It didn't start to swing around or blow and flow in the wind until hip. My hair has medium strands, and several long layers. I don't think it's damage, when touched, my hair feels fine and swingy. No matter what I wear, my hair, when down, is board stiff. I tried coney conditioners, oils, whatever, and my hair always sits the same way.

Who else here has weird stiff hair like this?
    I've been curious for nearly forever about this. I never thought to talk about it until someone commented on it the other day at lunch, politely of course.

Length
    BSL/BCL/CL
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Default Re: Maybe dumb question, my hair barely moves?

My hair barely moves either, I think it's because my hair is wavy/curly and clumps together, so the individual strands can't all swoosh around freely since they're trapped in the curls. My friend has straight short hair and it doesn't move much either, but I think its because her hair is so coarse and thick.

Lady Savitri of the Sunlight Skies in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!
    Hiding in the shadows ...

Length
    22.5/32/inf.
    Type
    1a/F/M/ii

I'd think that would be a good thing! Less opportunity for it to tangle

Length
    Bob/BSL/Waist
    Type
    1c/M/C/ii

I know what you mean. Sis and I have rather stiff hair. Even when it's conditioned and soft, it doesn't separate into flowing locks. Oil just makes it limp and stringy, still too heavy to move. I used to think it must be damaged or naturally porous, but since it never breaks or splits, that doesn't seem likely. Maybe we have a lot of cuticle layers or a thicker cortex. I also think wave has something to do with it. Parts of a wavy cuticle are permanently lifted and grabby. The stiffness subsides a little the day after I wash.

It used to bother me, but since I'm always complimented on my hair's thickness, I don't mind it as much. It also kept me from straightening, because straight hair that's stiff looks more unusual than stiff wavy or curly hair.

Type
    1b/M/C/i/ii

My hair is exactly the same and its one of my 'hates'
    my hair strands are average thickness and the over thickness is small-medium..

i wish my hair flowed and bounced like it does in the adverts and movies....rather then being stiff like mine its a flaw that has no benefits

Length
    15/14/35
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

I, on the other hand, wish for hair that doesn't move! My hair is way too feathery light, it flutters all over the place with the slightest breeze and becomes a mess.

Quote Originally Posted by Beatrice View Post
    The stiffness subsides a little the day after I wash.
    Weird, mine never really subsides at all. Even when it's wet, it's stiff and doesn't move. And don't get me started on hats. If it's smashed under a hat... think van de graaff.

Length
    3"/APL/Butt
    Type
    3a/3b/F/i

I would love for my hair not to move. my hair is so fine and curly that when the slightest wind picks up my hair floats all over the place, while I see other girls walking around and they don't have that problem, their hair stays in place
    The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

I have an Asian friend who says the same thing about her hair. She says its common on those with thick strands.

My hair moves a lot..a bit too much actually. It gets tangled

dreamed she was human... halo_tightens's Avatar
    Type
    2b/C/iii

Meeeeeeee! I was just thinking about this a day or two ago, actually. I had my hair in a low ponytail, and I really noticed how I could lift it near the elastic and point the ends wherever I wanted. It bothered me-- shouldn't the ends droop more??

My hair is pretty coarse, so I just attributed it to that. It still seems a little more "stiff" than it should be, though. I wish it had more flow.
    Last edited by halo_tightens; June 12th, 2010 at 08:54 AM. Reason: typo